Charger Forums banner

Launch Control on 2015 Charger 392

15K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  rob-2 
#1 ·
So I did some searches on the forum and found bits and pieces but was hoping that someone could clarify what i am doing wrong.

I am over the 500 miles on my 2015 Charger 392 and am able to activate launch control, only thing I am struggling with is i am getting (what i think is) significant wheel spin (which is fun but i can do that without launch control :) ) I want to make sure that i am doing the step between applying brake and actually having car accelerate under launch control successfully.

I have the charger in sport mode which also eliminates the traction control. The launch RPM is set at 2000 rpm. Obviously hit the launch button and then follow the onscreen "walk through". I hold the brake and then it says to hit throttle while still on the brake.

First question, do I just quickly hit full throttle and then let off of it, ultimately launching whenever i get off brake after that? OR do i just stand on throttle and then let go of the brake when i want the car to go?

Second question, am i suppose to have a lot of wheel spin or am i suppose to be feeling/seeing that the car is right at the last point of traction, essentially pushing it as close to wheel spin as the electronics can get? (or am I suppose to be seeing a pretty solid amount of tire smoke?)

Third question, am i suppose to be in an SRT mode with traction control on or is launch control completely separate and does what it needs in terms of the traction control, etc?

Thanks for your help on this in advance....

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I read some article where that was used as a starting point on the manual transmission but without knowing that I am actually doing the Launch control properly (mainly the step of holding brake and either tapping or flooring the throttle prior to brake release) i haven't messed with it more. I will dial it in higher but want to know first on the actual brake/throttle timing.

#4 ·
1) Launch control is useless with stock tires, you will end up in a smoke show

2) You have to press hard on the brake pedal (I mean HARD). Then FLOOR the gas pedal as quick as you possibly can. If you did it correctly, your RPM will raise to 2,000 and it will stay there all day if you keep both pedal mashed. When ready to rock, let the brake pedal go as quick as it will come back

#7 ·
Agree with the above, the issue here will always be traction and when you play around with times you might not find LC doing anything with these cars. On a car like the Nissan GTR, it's epic...because the car with awd has so much grip that the LC helps the driver apply the most amount of throttle to the break loose point of grip...which is SO HIGH in that car. On the SRT/SP/HC the break loose point is so low in the power/rpm range you can raise the rpm on launch control, but that won't improve your grip. Wheelspin is not what you want for the fastest times.

Personally I think you are better offer being 3/4 in first gear and then flooring into second as soon as you can. Test the times with different attempts and see what you can produce

#8 ·
I will have to try this but agree with many of the comments about being better off without it. Most of my non-launch ctrl 0-60 runs have been faster than with the launch. Plus it's not easy to do when racing or relying on a green light start.

Thank you all for the insight and hope this helps others.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I just tried Launch control for the first time on my 17 Daytona 6.4 with 2400 miles. This first attempt the car kept lurching forward like the brakes were releasing and engaging with brake down and gas pedal down. The second time i pushed the brake pedal, harder before pushing gas, and it seemed to work great. Wondering if not pushing the brake hard enough was the problem or I have a bigger issue.

#10 ·
You'll get used to it. Definitely press the brake hard with left foot. Set rpm to no more than 2000 rpm then activate. When it tells you you're ready mash the throttle quickly to floor and it should rev to 2000 with no surge or spin, if it does try it again.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.