Charger Forums banner

Push Button start question.....

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wickedchargerrt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone -

Well, the new Challenger has an option for the push start button, like most of the new cars are coming with today. The thing is, it comes with the same key as the traditional key start in the 2008's no matter what option you choose.

Do you think it's possible (technology wise..) that this system could easily retro-fit in the 2008 Chargers? Even the location where the start button is the same where the key goes......

I would love to have such a thing....for the cool factor I guess.

I would think it's should be an easy upgrade, since you only turn the key slightly, and the car starts up automatically (without holding key into position), pretty much like a push start....

I only mention 2008 Chargers since we have the keyless fob.

What do ya think?

- Mark

#2 · (Edited)
It might be possible... It'd be cool, I'd get one! That was one of many options I wish the charger had available... Memory seats (it sucks when the wife has to drive or service guys move it - doesn't feel right for weeks!) Parabolic mirrors (to better see around that big blind a$$ we have)... and "keyless go" to take the merc terminology. Would also be nice to have ventilated front seats (AC)

I think there is some kind of extra proximity RF reciever to read the key's code like the ignition switch does... The regular one for door locks and such doesn't detect where the person holding the key is, the keyless go has to place the driver within the car and some even put the driver in the front left seat before they will let the car go anywhere... I think it works on triangulation using 3 different recievers or two if they can detect delay would get it close enough...

#3 ·
I think the transmitter on our key fobs isn't strong enough either, I remember reading somewhere that the car doesn't acknolwedge the "key" signal unless it is IN the hole. I think it would be cool, but I don't know that it would be worth it... just my thoughts.

#4 ·
I tried one in my charger today and it didn't work, wonder if the button needs to be programmed to the same frequency as the key....seems unlikely though, the part looks like it is void of any electronics and it is only about $10 in the parts department.
When you have the button in the Challenger it prompts you to press the brake to start the engine if the key is in the car or if you don't press the brake it will light the accessories mode.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.