Charger Forums banner

Traction Control

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Ddaddy 
#1 ·
Today we got hammered with snow. It was my first trip driving the Charger in snow. I wasn't worried since I have had 2wd trucks in the past and once you get used to it its not bad.

Anyways, the TCS is weird on this car. I was playing around and you can hold it wide open and it wont just spin. The TCS cuts all power and only drives at low RPM's and holds traction. I think its an amazing idea but it does bum me out a little when playing... I just had to comment because I was amazed how it worked. After I realized it I would jump on it like crazy and "mr squiggles" turned on and power was minimized. Weird stuff for sure.

Now I realize I need to install a NO ESP mod so I can slide around and drift a bit.

#2 ·
We finally had the first snow, since I bought my 2008 new in December 2007, that I 'had' to drive my car. I recently put Firestone Winterforce tires on and they get big thumbs up from me for performance at a price that's about 60% of the Blizzaks.

Since I have the 2008, I can fully disable ESP with the key trick and let the car slide out (it's good practice), but I have to agree with MotoAce that when fully enabled, the ESP does an amazing job controlling power output to maintain traction. All you do is put your foot down on the gas pedal and Squiggles does all the work. No feathering, no goosing (and no 'fun'), just good straight line acceleration from a stop, regardless of the conditions on the road. I was impressed. With ESP enabled, I experience absolutely no yaw at all.

#3 ·
If you drive in really deep stuff or ice you need LSD in addition to ESP

Otherwise ESP will just cut power to the point where you can not move

#4 ·
I noticed that. I needed a little more power at times and it really limited my movement.

#5 ·
That's where the ESP OFF button comes in. Right in the manual it tells you to turn it off if you are in sand/mud/snow so that you can continue to supply power when there is expected slippage.

#6 ·
I didn't read the manual. That makes sense. I am guessing that's why the ESP off just turns it off to an extent then. That's good info to know. Thanks. I could have used that last night crawling up a hill downtown. I had traction but the car didn't let me go.

What do I need to do to get the car to slide/ spin? Even with ESP off if you try to do a doughnut, the throttle cuts out and it tries to get traction. I have to feather the throttle and its a pain.

#8 ·
Yeah, I will need to install the no ESP mod soon then. I am really glad you mentioned the ESP off button for driving in slippery cond. though. I never knew that.

#9 ·
Moto,

From the manual:

The ESP warning light, located in the instrument
cluster, starts to flash as soon as the ESP
system sensor’s information varies from the
driver’s intended path. The ESP warning light
also flashes when traction control is activated. If the ESP
warning light begins to flash during acceleration, ease up
on the accelerator and apply as little throttle as possible.
Be sure to adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing
road conditions. When the ESP warning light is illuminated
continuously, the ESP is switched off. To return to
the enhanced vehicle stability offered by ESP, press the
ESP switch (the ESP warning light in the instrument
cluster goes out). Avoid spinning one drive wheel. This
may cause serious damage to the drive train.

To improve the vehicle’s traction when driving with
snow chains, or starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel,
switch off the ESP system by pressing the ESP switch.

#10 ·
Moto,

From the manual:

The ESP warning light, located in the instrument
cluster, starts to flash as soon as the ESP
system sensor’s information varies from the
driver’s intended path. The ESP warning light
also flashes when traction control is activated. If the ESP
warning light begins to flash during acceleration, ease up
on the accelerator and apply as little throttle as possible.
Be sure to adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing
road conditions. When the ESP warning light is illuminated
continuously, the ESP is switched off. To return to
the enhanced vehicle stability offered by ESP, press the
ESP switch (the ESP warning light in the instrument
cluster goes out). Avoid spinning one drive wheel. This
may cause serious damage to the drive train.

To improve the vehicle’s traction when driving with
snow chains, or starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel,
switch off the ESP system by pressing the ESP switch.
[/QUOTEUn

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#11 ·
The Predator/InTune reduces the invasiveness of the ESP..... it relaxes the torque management to a happier compromise.

#12 ·
I have the inTune programmed in my car still. Just was interesting to see the reaction of the car in a slippery condition.

#13 ·
I just spent over 90 min out in our empty snow covered 200+ vehicle parking lot doing power slides and doughnuts. ESP Off, oh so much fun! >=) I'll upload the videos I took later when I can properly convert them....

#15 ·
I was driving through parking lots like this as well. Nothing like going straight while sideways. Especially if your moving at a normal slower speed and under complete control. People look at you odd but in a good way.

On my 07 I could use the key trick.. I forgot the term.. Basically with the engine running turn the ignition key while the car was moving. The esp was totally disabled. Will this feature work on the 06 model??
I don't think it works on the 06. I know it doesn't on mine. I will have to throw in the switch.

#14 ·
On my 07 I could use the key trick.. I forgot the term.. Basically with the engine running turn the ignition key while the car was moving. The esp was totally disabled. Will this feature work on the 06 model??

#20 ·
I have always had 2 wheel burnouts. Never had a 1 wheel peal on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.