Charger Forums banner

Cutting resonators out 11/28/2013 on 2013 R/T

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Irunfromcopsnoolicense91 
#1 ·
I am going down to a local muffler house and going to have them cut my resonators out. I have been reading that it will help give some more growl (on a budget) until I can get a cat back. Anyone have any info/advice whether there would be any reasons I shouldn't do this? Anyone interested in hearing the results thanks:beerchug:

#2 ·
everything I've read, cutting the rear resonators will result in drone while cruising on the highway, whereas cutting the mid mufflers out and leaving the resonators gives added noise level without annoying drone at highway cruise...

just make sure they use 409 stainless pipe to replace the mufflers, since that's what the rest of the system is....

#5 ·
2011's don't have a "suitcase" muffler like the older ones, but two discreet oval bodied mufflers that are tied together by a metal bar welded onto them, but in the same relative position as the older "suitcase", under the passenger floor

#9 ·
Resonators REmoved

Well, I thought I searched well to get some sound and for some reason missed this post. I have 2013 5.7L and had the resonators removed. It sounds better EXCEPT there is that awful drone at cruising speeds.

Looks like it is back to the shop to remove the actual mufflers and leave put the resonators back in (of course I still have them as I was leary).

James

#10 ·
Well, I thought I searched well to get some sound and for some reason missed this post. I have 2013 5.7L and had the resonators removed. It sounds better EXCEPT there is that awful drone at cruising speeds.

Looks like it is back to the shop to remove the actual mufflers and leave put the resonators back in (of course I still have them as I was leary).

James
I just got it back from the muffler house the resonators are off (kept them as well) I just took a short cruise before I came back to work. It is still farely quiet in town (35MPH) I did notice going around 50MPH there is the most drone from 4th to 5th gear, which it wont usually switch to 5th unless you manually change it. All in all I like it it for the cost. The one thing I did notice when I flip it in sport mode and use the paddle shifters under heavy acceleration there is a loud popping noise when switching gears. Have you noticed this?

I am curious to hear yours after you have the mufflers cut out. I can post some sound clips if anyone is interested!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.