Charger Forums banner

Dodge Chargers Recalled; Door Slam Can Make Air Bags Inflate

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Playhard 
#1 · (Edited)
From http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/Dodge-Chargers-Recalled-Door-Slam-Air-Bags-Inflate-320377991.html

Updated at 10:13 AM CDT on Saturday, Aug 1, 2015

Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 322,000 sedans worldwide because side air bags can inflate if doors are slammed too hard.
The recall covers certain Dodge Chargers from the 2011 to 2014 model years, mainly in the U.S. and Canada.

Earlier this month, more than 843,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks were recalled for the same problem. The company says the Charger recall came from an internal investigation launched because of the truck recall.
Fiat Chrysler says the air bag control modules may be too sensitive and need to be recalibrated. The company says it knows of three minor injuries from the problem.

Owners will be notified when they can bring cars in for repairs. In the meantime, the company says people should use caution when closing doors.

Report Receipt Date: JUL 27, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V467000
Component(s): AIR BAGS , SEAT BELTS
All Products Associated with this Recall expand
Details close
4 Associated Documents expand
Manufacturer: Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

SUMMARY:
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Dodge Charger vehicles manufactured May 6, 2010, to June 5, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the side impact sensor calibrations may be overly sensitive, and as a result, the side air bag inflatable curtains and seat air bags may unexpectedly deploy and the seat belt pre-tensioners may activate.

CONSEQUENCE:
Air bags that unexpectedly deploy increase the risk of a crash or injury.

REMEDY:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will update the Occupant Restraint Control module calibration, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R35.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll wait and see if I get the recall notice. In the interim, I'm not going to tell my wife about this recall. I always remind her "don't slam the doors". If she does slam her door and sets off the air bags, I'll just say "See, I told you not to slam the doors. Now look what you did." :D

#5 ·
You might want to wait a few days & check it again. I put in the VIN from my '13 Charger & it doesn't show any outstanding recalls as well. I assume that my Charger would likely be part of the recall. When I put in the VIN from my '09 Challenger, it shows the completed recall for the timing chain & the open recall for the airbag inflator. On that page, it shows that the information is current as of July 31, 2015. Since the Charger recall was just recently announced, it is possible that the cars haven't been entered into the system yet.

#10 ·
Yes, they should deploy in an actual crash.

There are other factors to determine when/if they deploy, such as:

(1) speed

(2) location of impact

How fast was the Mustang going? Where did the impact occur?

#13 ·
#15 ·
Just to bump this thread. You might want to check your VIN's again. I've been diligently checking back on this and just now was able to look up my VIN and see the airbag recall on it. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

#17 ·
DO we have to reverse our tunes for a computer flash? I remember once i reversed my tune right before i had a state inspection and they could not read anything off my computer? I had to wait and drive it for a few days.
I dont care if they know i have a tune, Iam out of warranty anyway.

#23 ·
Just received my notice today for this.

#24 ·
Thanks for the heads up OP. I checked the Dodge owners website and mine has a recall notice attached. Time to make an appointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.