Charger Forums banner

startup noise problem

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  krautmaster 
#1 ·
hello folks
i just bought a second hand 2012 charger SE with V6 , with 88k km and iam noticing a noise coming from the upper part of the engine when cold starting the car for the first time " or when parked for more than 1 hour " the noise sounds like a diesel engine running
the noise only lasts for less than 2 seconds .
i have many thoughts in my mind like the oil type or the camshaft gear or the oil pump i just don't know i need your opinion and thanks :)

here is a video showing the noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XKt7NPJAL4

#2 ·
Sounds like the cylinder head issue to me. They issued a TSB for the replacement of the head on some 3.6L V6 engines. Contact your dealer for repairs.

#4 ·
Well then, given your location and the difficulty in getting an experienced Chrysler dealer to address the issue I would start with the basics.

First, replace the oil and oil filter with what you can confirm are the correct ones. If the issue persists then I would search on the internet for the information from Chrysler for the cylinder head and see if it applies. Then you can take that to your dealer and see if they can fix it using that information.

Perhaps member @krautmaster can help since he has a similar vehicle.

#7 ·
you or the dealer plugged a OBD2/CAN scanner into the OBD2 port to see if any DTCs are getting logged?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.