Charger Forums banner

Water Outlet pipe stuck. 2008, 2.7L Charger

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  djalbin 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I noticed that coolant was leaking from what I later learned is called the water outlet housing. Went to my local auto part store and they told me which piece to purchase, it was about $40 and the replacement looked very straight forward so I decided I would do the repair myself and save money. Everywhere I read or videos I've seen, the instructions indicate the pipe that goes up to the water outlet also goes all the way back and to help me remove the part, the pipe could be pulled towards the front of the car.

This video shows the repair I was trying to do:
https://youtu.be/FbHPgY-7noU

So when I got started, I removed all the screws, i pulled that pipe towards the front and then pushed it back in and did did a couple of times until the housing got loose (it was surrounded by a crust of dry coolant) but it got stuck when I pushed it towards the back.

The problem is that with these parts pushed in, there is not enough room around it so I cant remove the outlet housing. I can't even return the water outlet to it's original position, let alone pull it further towards the front. I learned that this pipe that goes under, connects to other tubes in the back and that there is a bracket so tonight I will try to release that bracket and see if after that I can pull the pipe towards the front and then remove the part so I can proceed with installing a new one.

Have any of you ever ran into this? The pipe is stuck and I don't know what it is stuck on or how to release it. I am short of funds and it would be a huge hit to have to tow my charger to a shop. If you have any tips or suggestions on how I can repair this please let me know.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:
I mentioned there was a bracket in the back towards the end of that pipe. There is a single bolt holding that pipe. I removed it and was able to pull the assembly towards the front of the car and got enough room to remove the water outlet. I was told I would have to remove the manifold but that was not necessary.
The mechanic wanted $200 just for labor plus the part. I'm glad I was able to fix it myself and only spent $40 on the part.

#3 ·
Nice work!

With most auto shops charging $100+/hr for labor it adds up fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.