Charger Forums banner

They sent the wrong engine - now what?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TBird100636 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Last Monday, when the Detroit area experienced record rainfall and flooding, my wife got stuck on the way home and ruined the engine in her 2014 R/T Max AWD Charger. The car has about 15,000 miles on it, my insurance company found an engine out of a wrecked 2014 with 11,000 miles.

They shipped the engine from New York to my brother's repair shop here in Michigan, but when it arrived it was out of a RWD car. On the AWD car, the front differential is somehow mated to or part of the oil pan, among other differences.

My brother called the company in New York, they offered to pay him to swap the necessary parts from the old engine to the new. This worries me somewhat as (1) we are not sure of everything that needs to be changed and (2) was the the engine with 11,000 miles on it, or did they send the completely wrong engine? My brother is working on this, trying to figure out the 2nd part but we haven't decided on swapping the parts yet.

The main reason we are considering doing it is timing; the first engine took 3+ days to ship, so even assuming they have the correct engine there we're looking at next week before it arrives.

So, my questions: What parts need to move from her engine to the new one to get it to work, and is it worth doing that or should we make the supplier send the correct one?

See less See more
#2 ·
One other question would be if they shipped the engine that they quoted and it wasn't from an AWD car in the first place. I do not know what the differences are, but would think that the basic motor is the same and the differences are bolt on items.

I would say that it really depends on what the mileage is on the motor that you received, and I don't know how you could confirm what the mileage is on a motor other than what is reported.

#3 ·
Maybe it's just me, but I would want a new engine since this is a replacement being paid for by insurance. Are they going to lower your rates if you settle for the used engine taken out of a wreck? I think not. If you get a used engine out of a wrecked car, you know nothing about its repair history. What if it turns out to be damaged from the wreck? There are just too many opportunities for things to turn bad IMHO.

GTO_04

#5 ·
RWD to AWD you will need to swap the engine mount brackets (on engine, actual mounts are the same), oil pan, oil pickup, oil dipstick, dipstick tube, and engine wiring harness. The remaining engine is the same between RWD and AWD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.