Charger Forums banner

SXT RWD Daily Driver-Snow

13K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  mrflicharger 
#1 ·
I've seen different opinions online. My first few cars were RWD, long before traction control or ESP. I'm in Indiana (so snow every winter) and trading my trusty 2000 Intrepid ES in on an SXT RWD. Should I consider an AWD instead?

I'm not getting a Hemi, but I also don't plan to buy winter wheels/tires either...so will a RWD 3.5L V6 with ESP and traction control and all seasons get me to work and back year round?

#2 ·
A RWD Charger is one of the best RWD cars you could get for winter duty, but the AWD makes it AWESOME in the snow :yes: :rocker:

#4 ·
The stock tires (all seasons) are lousy. Don't know if they changed on the newer SXT but I have the Continentals 225/60 18 which were also stock on the R/T's. If you only get a few inches then it should be okay but anything more than 6 and it will be much worst than your FWD Intrepid unless you get snow tires or better all seasons.

#6 ·
This has been my experience as well. Located in Louisville, KY and we see quite a bit of nasty weather. My stock tires are about dead after 30k miles.
I have not had any trouble getting around in the most recent snow storm we've had though. It has more to do with how you drive than anything else.

My opinion is that the Charger is a fantastic car in the snow. The 3.5l engine is well balanced for the demands of snow driving. Also, the ESP does a really good job of keeping the car in line if you're a little sloppy on the driver side.

#5 ·
Im in Kokomo. No problems here....but i drive the jeep if its nasty out....

#7 ·
i dont personally think you can go wrong either way. AWD will prob be more beneficial, but if RWD is your goal....alls well.

just as a testament to snow driving....jan 30th, the baltimore area recieved over 30 inches of snow...38 where i live.

that morning i left to annapolis for the polar bear plunge. they had a booth for a couple of us local wrestlers. the forecast said "FLURRIES"... by time we got to the stadium around 9am, there were a few flurries/light snow.

now mind you it took 35 minutes to get there from the towson, md area.

3 of us needed to leave as we had a wrestling show in philly that night at 7pm...

when we left at 11:30... snow was everywhere. by time we got back to the car, it was at least 2 inches deep. we started out on 50 towards 97 north back to baltimore... everyone was getting sideways, and slippin around... and i chalk this to either bald tires or simply BAD DRIVERS.

my car was stable given the condition. 2007 RWD SXT Charger...

starts took a delicate foot, same as braking so you didnt go into anyone or anything.

needless to say with a small gas oversight, and searching for a gas station which took us another 10 miles out of our way, then had to backtrack north... we finally got back to around the towson area at 4pm.... mind you we left at 12noon.

me driving, i had one choice....drive home, drop the other two off, and call it a day, or stay committed to a booking?

from towson, md to south philly, pa...took us another 3.5 hours....left the ESP on, although by time i passed into DE...with all the snow, ice, and blaahhhh on the road, the ABS light came on....went off...but came back on a bit later, which prompted the ESP light (car with sqiggle lines) to come on and stay on.... i'm guessing this mean ESP and ABS was off, but i was def used to non ABS cars, so alls well. i kept goin.

basically from annapolis md, to philly it was what we all now refer to as "the 7 hour trip to philly"

would i do it again....probably. its not my driving that i have issues with...its everyone else around ya.

right now i run my car year round for work and everything else...

i have Yokohama Avid 4s in 235/55/18's on as well. i dont fear snow as some may. i was born and grew up in europe and learned to drive starting around 9 years old. my living situations for those 9 years warranted me to know how to drive in the most basic form in case something happened and i needed to get somewhere be it a family or military emergency. so i was taught at a young age and had plent of experience.

I'm not perfect, but i over the years, i know not to panic on many things the avg person would.

#8 ·
I am going to be partial to AWD based on my purchase recently, but it is up to you. I am in NWI and deal with a lot of Lake Effect Snow and didn't want to take any chances. With the 3.5L obviously you aren't buying the Charger worrying about 0-60 times or cool burnouts so AWD might be the best choice, but the ESP and traction control on the RWD would keep you safe.
If you are buying new they still have the AWD $2000 rebate option so you are basically getting the AWD for free till March 10th-something to check out!

#9 ·
I'm on my 3rd winter in Massachusetts with my RWD R/T, and haven't had any trouble getting around. I did the first winter with the stock all season tires, and I've had snow tires for the last 2 years. I do work from home on the really bad days, but that's to avoid traffic jams in my 26 mile commute, not because the car won't go through the snow.

If the current AWD system had been out when I got mine, I would have given it more consideration. In 2009 they switched it to an on demand AWD drive system, so that it is only RWD until it slips, or is forced in AWD by some other factor. Wiper usage, Autostick and temperature are listed in the owners manual.

With the on demand system, the gas mileage should be much closer to the RWD than in previous years.

#10 ·
We get around just fine in our SE+(basically a SXT) with the stock Continental tires. Are there better tire options, of course, but the Charger itself does just fine in the snow. You will find out turning ESP off to get started is a huge help, otherwise you will end up in situations where ESP is taking over trying to prevent wheel spin and you can have the pedal to the floor but the tires aren't moving.

#11 ·
My wifes car is a 99 Trep
My car is 06 SXT Charger with ESP and traction control.
Im 47 so I grew up with RWD and the tail of my car 30 degrees more of an angle then my front.
The Trep in snow has a nice feel to it
but,,
there is a compost site up the road from me that I take the cars to and see how fast I can take them around the oval.
That is where the Charger shines in the snow.
If I ever got in trouble in the snow losing control, I want to be in the Charger.
Likely why the cops like them.
The Trep works good to a point and its all bad after that.
If you grew up with RWD and dont have a problem with taking off slower then the next car in slippery conditions then SXT is the way to go
If you want that traction to get going then go AWD.
Road test some from the dealer and see

#13 ·
just curious....what part of indiana are you in??

#20 ·
Indianapolis.

The stock all-seasons on the '09 SXT aren't Continentals, they're Goodyear Integrity. Neither seem to have many fans, but I'll probably buy some new tires immediately. However, I would prefer to get the best all-seasons I can and use those year-round, rather than buy winter tires. So what do you guys recommend for all-year, all-seasons?

I'm more worried about quick stops and getting stuck than slipping and sliding, since I learned to drive on RWD and the SXT has traction control. I've gotten used to the Intrepid, which tends to go straight if the wheels break loose. But it also never gets stuck...

Thanks for all the replies. I've loved my Intrepid ES, but have wanted a Charger since I first saw them in 2006. The ES had a 3.2L V6 with a 4-speed auto and was relatively fast and handled well, but was also family-car enough for my daughter's car seat and groceries. :D I'm hoping the Charger SXT will be a good replacement for the 4-door sedan/muscle combo I've gotten used to.

#14 ·
My car does OK in the snow and ice even with the aftermarket wide performance tires, UNTIL I have to go up a 6% or greater grade and the road is snowpacked or icy! I had to quit driving the Charger when the road to my house is iced or snowed over, as it is on about an 8% grade, and I could not get up to my house earlier this year and had to leave the Charger at the neighbor's down below for four days until the road cleared enough to bring her back home! Might spring for snow tires and wheels next winter - even the stock wheels and tires would be better than what I am running.

#15 ·
I was surprised when I brought my Charger out and drove it, IMO it's better than the Taurus we use to have. I figured Hemi nad RWd it would suck but it does really well.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a FWD Chevy Malibu I drive for work, and had a FWD Stratus for my work car prior to that. I can't stand FWD in the snow. I'd much rather drive RWD. You start spinning the tires on FWD around a corner and you start sliding straight. No directional control. I've never really figured out the big deal about FWD cars in the snow. I guess it all comes down to what you are used to. I was rasied driving RWD open diff cars in the snow and never had a problem.

#22 ·
One thing I must say from reading this forum is there seems to be a lot of people that went from an Intrepid to a Charger. I loved how my 94 Intrepid ES handled in the snow.

I think the biggest thing about driving in the snow is knowing your car. If you know the capabilities and limits of your car; traction, acceleration, braking, etc., then you wont push too hard or not enough when the time calls for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.