Charger Forums banner

Diablosport Predator #7135 Dodge 5.7 HEMI Knowledgebase

314K views 859 replies 178 participants last post by  mnunes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Charger Folks,

I did a write up on the Predator designed to offer some helpful info to everyone from novice to experienced. When I first got mine, I noted that tips and such were all over the net, DS forum, and this forum. I have tried to cram it all into one article, which I have been editing as needed. The article is generated for a 5.7 motor, but the 6.1 and even 3.5 tool users will still get a great deal out of this article, as most tool features are synonymous.

Also, of great value, is an Excel spreadsheet with every single menu option there is in the tool, which I call a "Menu Map". Start in the upper left, select an item in the column and follow its choices to the right. Note the different sheets available at the bottom of the page.

Special thanks to Mike, John, Christy and Johan at Diablosport who have been very generous with their time as I bugged them about several specifics to make sure the info was accurate.

Instead of copying the article here, I am going to link to it as I keep editing for both accuracy and clarity, and it is four times the size allowed for one post! Please be advised that if you print the document, you should still check back, as I update it frequently as revisions are released to the tool. The Menu Map is updated as well but can be downloaded anytime as well.

Revision II Updates 6-1-08:
* Corrections to reflect tool upgrades throughtout.
* Renumbered sections to reflect sections added.
* Added PIDS required for CMR in section 13.
* Added section 6 Custom Tunes.
* Added section 7 Quick Adjust.
* Added section 15 DS Downloader.

I hope you find it helpful. :)

THE KNOWLEDGEBASE IS FOUND HERE! --->>> Click Here To Open The Article (Updated 3-1-09)

CLICK LINK FOR MENUMAP FILE IN;
Microsoft Excel or in the Adobe PDF format.

See less See more
#3 ·
would be a good post idea also for guys to list what engine they have 5.7 or 6.1, their performance mods (headers, CAI, Catback, High Flow Cats etc.) and then attach a copy of any custom tunes they have done. so those of use with the same set ups can run the same. dont know if its feasible or not. not sure if the custom or caned tunes become Vin locked or not.

#4 ·
does anybodu know if the predator already works for export cars.... we too need the predator in MEXICO

#10 ·
Cool

Another user is saying not yet bud.....

export vehicles need not to apply for now... ( I have one and does not work)!
Let us know if you hear anything about this and I'll do the same!

there's an easter egg on the predator, ive been told... does anyone know how to get it?
I have not found it yet, but have an idea where to look! Anyone else?

Hey how about getting this into the LX wiki over at lx forums. That it can be sectioned and edited by others to fill in the blanks... and new features, etc.

I'll help edit it (break it up into sections, etc) if needed.

http://www.lxforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Yea, good point! I need to get off my arse and go register there - I have been "lurking" as a guest thusfar, I need to also post my dash and taillight stuff there.

Glad You Folks Are Finding It Helpful!

I'm pretty comfortable with this type equipment and I saw it as a chance to give something to the community. :)

#5 ·
Ask And You Will Receive!

Hi Folks,

Glad you are liking this!

I would be happy to host a Database of Custom Tunes on my site. If you extract your custom tune and provide a list of everything you have done to your car as well as average temp, humidity and elevation where you live, I will post them, and a link to the page from this article.

As for Exported Chargers, let me go over to Diablosports Forum and dig for an answer.

More to come! :)

#18 ·
Hi Folks,

Glad you are liking this!

I would be happy to host a Database of Custom Tunes on my site. If you extract your custom tune and provide a list of everything you have done to your car as well as average temp, humidity and elevation where you live, I will post them, and a link to the page from this article.

As for Exported Chargers, let me go over to Diablosports Forum and dig for an answer.

More to come! :)
just seperate the 6.1 and 5.7 engines :)

#6 ·
there's an easter egg on the predator, ive been told... does anyone know how to get it?

#7 ·
I forgot to mention that I want to congratulate XE ryder for this helpful thread... we need a sticky here!!!!
and export vehicles need not to apply for now... ( I have one and does not work)!

#9 · (Edited)
Hey how about getting this into the LX wiki over at lx forums. That it can be sectioned and edited by others to fill in the blanks... and new features, etc.

I'll help edit it (break it up into sections, etc) if needed.

http://www.lxforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

#11 ·
X E Ryder you are the man. I ordered the Predator/AFE package that TByrne Motorsports offered as a package and I'm still playing with it. This info is killer.

#12 · (Edited)
Hmm

Glad it's helping! :)

Hey I think I found something! If you click the link for the Menu Map spreadsheet, check out the Options > Troubleshooting section. Two entries offer an encrypted key, five groups of 4 characters. Then pressing Continue it asks for a key pressed password. Pressing keys will fill the screen with "Left,Right,Up,Down,Enter", and there is room for eight key presses. Three wrong tries kicks you out, but you can try again. Could be CMR Dealer only stuff, but maybe not??

[OK I called on these entries, they are both relevant to Reseting the tool or Car if something goes wrong - you just need to call Diablosport for the password if your car or tool becomes stuck. ]

#14 ·
Much better than the instructions given by diablo...

One question, why is it that Diablo needs to update "Calibrations"? It happens that my car is an export and I have been waiting quite a while now to get a solution for this... I had a Hypertech on my Durango than just worked, it did not require any "calibration updates"!!

#20 ·
Updates

Make sure you separate the fact there are two types of updates. DCX Calibration Updates which as I understand are the calibrations your car uses as base operating parameters before the Predator alters them. Without updating this first, if you have to put your car back to stock, you would be installing obsolete info, and the Predator relies on some of the newer settings.

Crom Predator Updates are to update the selections and programming of the Predator Tool.

Hey bud

here are some Facts for the Tuner.

you dont need to buy their Cables and power supply.
they even tell you this in their instruction pages.

ok now the export stuff i read on LXforums that it does but only if you have the B&G tune on the car. i can not confirm this though.

and while talking about B&G, They charge $230 bucks to make you a custom tune if you send them the stock tune for your car in an email and then several data logs from the tuner and a list of your performance upgrades on your car. basically gives you the B&G II flash but set up just for your options.

just seperate the 6.1 and 5.7 engines
Good point, I bought my USB at Radio Shack - I'll get that in this morning...

Our Data Logging can only be done with a Laptop at moment, the tools logging features should be released maybe next week (everyone is at SEMA this week).

I called Diablosport this morning and they said there is (as yet) no reason for me to exclude the 6.1 engine from this article, any features which are not available are quite obvious such as MDS Disable /shrug/ I do not own a 6.1 but I'm happy to try and help.

Great thread: Side Bar. Did anyone install the latest update from Diablo's website u7135-8t16a? I did and I've noticed that since that my Engine Brakes ALOT when braking. I did the Performance 93 tune and I increased my shift firmness, any suggestions??
I always run the latest updates, Test or not! :) Yes, I noted that when you let off the gass it really cuts fuel - its fine with me because it seemed to get alot crisper in acceleration too. Don't forget to Reset the TCM adaptation - it goes hand in hand with the increased shift firmness.

[The Menu Map and Article updated this AM after speaking with Diablosport]

#15 · (Edited)
Hey bud

here are some Facts for the Tuner.

you dont need to buy their Cables and power supply.
they even tell you this in their instruction pages.

here is what they say you can use

1) Serial Cable:
- For PC’s with DB-9 serial communications port(s):
A standard, RS-232C, straight through, DB-9 male to DB-9 female cable is required to connect the PC to the Predator.
Recommended Source: Radio Shack part number: 26-117, 6-ft DB9 male to DB9 female shielded RS-232C cable
- For PC’s with USB ports only:
If the PC only has USB ports available, a USB to RS-232C converter cable is required. This cable will convert a USB port to a serial port to connect to the Predator.
Recommended Source: Radio Shack part number: 26-183, 6-ft USB to Serial Port Adapter Cable
2) Power Adapter:
The Predator requires a 12 Volt, 1 Amp power source to turn it on. An AC to DC power adapter allows the Predator to be turned on when not connected to the vehicle. The Power Adapter’s plug tip is 2.5mm in diameter and 5.5mm in length. The required polarity is center contact is positive and the outer contact is ground.
Recommended Source: Radio Shack part number: 273-1776, 12V/1000mA AC to DC Power Adapter (This item includes a Plug Adapter. Please specify part number: 273-1717 to obtain the correct adapter.
* Note: If the update will be performed with a laptop computer, the vehicle’s OBDII port can be used to substitute for the Power Adapter.

ok now the export stuff i read on LXforums that it does with but only if you have the B&G tune on the car. i can not confirm this though.

and why talking about B&G
They charge $230 bucks to make you a custom tune if you send them the stock tune for your car in an email and then several data logs from the tuner and a list of your performance upgrades on your car. basically gives you the B&G II flash but set up just for your options.

#19 ·
Great thread: Side Bar. Did anyone install the latest update from Diablo's website u7135-8t16a? I did and I've noticed that since that my Engine Brakes ALOT when braking. I did the Performance 93 tune and I increased my shift firmness, any suggestions??

#36 ·
Get Your Predator Crom Update Today!

The Canned Tunes are designed for lightly modified motors. I think it is safe to say that if you are running ported heads, cam and more serious motor mods you should at the very least run a Wideband O2 Sensor, if not tune the car on an Air/Fuel capable dyno. Sticking a Caned Tune into a more modified car could certainly cause some unpredictable results. Remember a Wideband sensor is $400 or so - alot cheaper than a motor!

I think most of us are shooting for 12.2-13.2 under WOT. As I mentioned in the article, you really should not be adjusting WOT Fuel or Spark without Data Logs as a minimum, or dyno runs with air/fuel.

No word on the Easter Egg as yet, but I think I know who to ask now. :)

anyone wanna fill me in on how to data log i have looked and cant find a thing
The Predator Update which will allow the Tool to log is not quite ready, you can use Data Viewer with a laptop in your car to collect a mind blowing amount of data. I will be adding this info to the article soon with some sample logs I made.

What does not work with me is the DCX Calibration update... this is pissing me off! it just wont work!
If DCX is not working for you, I suggest calling DS and let them talk you through and tell them your error so they can help you get it sorted out. It is worth mentioning that I am running this: http://www.diablosport.com/downloads/predator/DSDownloader_Installer_1.9.5.4.msi and NOT the newer application. The newer one was crashing on me and reporting several errors!

[non-supporting vendor comments removed by admin - please review our vendor rules].
Hey Thank you for stopping by! Nice speaking toyou yesterday as well.

[non-supporting vendor comments removed by admin - please review our vendor rules]
OUTSTANDING! EVERYONE Do the CROM Update!

NEW Release of 8r17!!

I will update the Menu Map ASAP! :)

#22 ·
Those with the head and cam combos are the ones with problems. I do not know all the details, but 91 tune leans the fuel curve out over stock, the 91 CAI tune adds a little more fuel to the 91 tune due to CAI tending to lean out the AFR. The same for the 93 tunes as well, but I think a little more fuel is pulled. That is not what is happening though. A lot of the Head/Cam combo guys have been adjusting the fuel and timing parameters and some have gotten dangerous but not known, and only a hand full actually blew up their motors. One thing to remember is that our O2 sensors are not accurate once you start modding the car. A stock car should be fine with it, but once you put an exhaust, intake, etc. your best bet is to invest in a wideband sensor. Also one thing to remember is that the fuel and timing parameters in r14 did not actually change the fuel or timing by +/-20% like it said it was. I think Diablo said that it was more like 5% if you put in 20%. They have this fixed now on the two 16 versions. Just keep an eye on your AFR and if you start adjusting the fuel and timing do it in very small increments.

#23 ·
By the way I drive an 07 RT that is bone stock besides the Predator and I am seeing 10.5:1 ratio while in open loop(WOT) runs. I do not trust this number but if it is correct I bet there is more power there if I can get the fuel to lean out a little bit. I am shooting for 12.1:1.

#24 ·
thanks im hoping to get my predator hooked up today and put the 91 cai or the 93 cai on my car today. ill do some logging to keep an eye on it. i have a ramair hood with airbox so i guess im running lean to begin with. what about should i be running to be in the middle of too lean and too rich

#25 ·
Sorry to shift topics once again, but what is this "easter egg" people were talking about in the Predator? I saw that someone mentioned they found input codes to reset the car/tool if anything ever became stuck, but that doesnt seem like much of an "easter egg" find....? Just wondering...

-Pat

#27 ·
The EGR entry relates to the Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve. This emission control opens variably from part to full throttle, sending some exhaust back into the intake manifold. Why would we want to do this? We likely would not, but when you stand on it and the mixture is richened, emissions naturally rise. This was the automakers solution to clean things up a bit – reburn some of the exhaust. Clearly this exhaust is elbowing some of your fresh air and fuel out of the way when we need it most. You may select this menu item to choose On, Off or No Change. The EGR will not open or report errors when you select Off.
Actually, it is for lowering combustion chamber temps., and only works at idle and partial throttle. It is off at WOT. (you cannot re-burn exhaust, it's an inert gas).

But yeah, introducing this to a fresh charge of intake doesn't help anything.

#32 ·
hook the tool up to your laptop, start your car and run the data viewer, it will auto connect and let you record

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.