Charger Forums banner

Wheel size help

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Hell Driver 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, I'll be buying a set of 22's for my charger next week and I needed some advise before doing so. I'm planing on 22x9 with 265/35 front and 22x10.5 with 295/35 back, does anybody else have this set up? I read a post about somebody who has 22x9 and 22x11 so I think fitment wont be a problem but did they have to do any mods to the back? I'm preatty sure the front is ok I'm just worried about the rear. Any input and advise would be appreciated, thanks

#7 ·
I chose the SXT and I'm fine with that. But, the 17s that came with the car have to go. I won't be making a purchase until the end of the year, but I think that I might still make the jump to 22s. If I can get some hp back through other mods, maybe it would be a wash.

#8 ·
That really IS an issue. How much of a power loss do we actually get by going to a larger wheel size. I'll be in the market for wheels myself soon and I'm still torn between 18's and 20"s. Though I'd rather have 20's, I'm almost more inclined to get a nice set of 18's and not drop any of the power that I'm used to.

#9 ·
The wieght of the wheel will be determind if it is cast or forged. Cast Wheels in a 22 with a 265/35/22 tire wiegh 75+lbs. each. That same wheel and tire combo in a forged wheel wiegh about 62+ lbs. each. That's a huge difference in wieght and the quality of a forged wheel is far superior than a cast wheel. That being said forged wheels and tires start at about $5000.00 and up depending on other factors. The ride and handling will also be better from forged wheels. You will also have less wear and tear on the vehicle in the long run.

demonds, to answer your qustion that's a good combo and works. But depending on the off set of the front wheels the 265/35/22 might not work, it will hit the A arm. If that's the case the other option is 255/30/22 front and 295/25/22 in th rear.

#10 ·
fatchance said:
The wieght of the wheel will be determind if it is cast or forged. Cast Wheels in a 22 with a 265/35/22 tire wiegh 75+lbs. each. That same wheel and tire combo in a forged wheel wiegh about 62+ lbs. each. That's a huge difference in wieght and the quality of a forged wheel is far superior than a cast wheel. That being said forged wheels and tires start at about $5000.00 and up depending on other factors. The ride and handling will also be better from forged wheels. You will also have less wear and tear on the vehicle in the long run.

demonds, to answer your qustion that's a good combo and works. But depending on the off set of the front wheels the 265/35/22 might not work, it will hit the A arm. If that's the case the other option is 255/30/22 front and 295/25/22 in th rear.

So what you are saying, is that if *I* can go on a diet and lose the extra 40 lbs I am carrying around, my car will go faster too??? :exercise:

#11 ·
Miranda said:
So what you are saying, is that if *I* can go on a diet and lose the extra 40 lbs I am carrying around, my car will go faster too??? :exercise:
yup, just got the treadmill for my 30 minute run so i can get a better 1/4 et in March!

#13 ·
Good info. I like the ride that I get and really don't want to sacrifice it TOO much. The wheels are for looks primarily. I also don't want to put too much wera and tear on the car since it's my daily driver. 60 or so miles a day. But d**n! The 20's DO look great!

#14 ·
This brings up question. What size replacement wheels are most folks out here using? Just curious.

#15 · (Edited)
Miranda said:
YES....seriously NS has a nice wheel if you want light weight weels.Im not sure about 22s .I have a set on my srt .they tip the scale at 56lbs.and you wont have to give your first born for them.If you have not seen my chargers go to my webshots folders at http://community.webshots.com/user/moanda100 MY BREAKS ON THE SRT ARE SHOT At 2300 MILES.............(too many trips to the strip....Powerbreaking is bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)

#16 ·
Call me a cautious buyer but it surprises me with how the Dodge Dealerships do not know a thing about changing the wheels on a Charger. I purchased the SE Charger, you know with the 17" hubcaps, and I want to upgrade to the 18" rims that come with the R/T. I asked the Dodge Dealership whether that would be a problem and they were like "yes"....What?. I would believe them but they sound so lost (I actually called five different dealerships they seem to know nothing). Maybe I am asking the wrong people but there are not to many specialty shops in central PA that I could learn some real facts from.

Could anyone give me a heads up on this type of upgrade (from 17" to 18" on a SE)? Is there anything I should know before buying "take-off" 18" OEM wheels and tires for a Charger SE?

I have been looking for a set on ebay and this forum, but everyone seems to live in california which adds $100 plus to the purchase price. Yes, I am a cheap skate; hence I bought the SE.

PS - Lastly, has anyone: (1) upgraded recently to some tricked out rims and (2) have a nice set of of the factory OEM 18" rims and tires in great shape with low mileage on the tires and (3) you live in the Mid-Atlantic or PA Area...what are the dds of that? If you do, let's talk...one man's garbage can be another man's treasure?

#18 ·
slickrick said:
I went from 18 ' s to srt 20's and felt a little power loss probably due to weight and width.... But it handles and rides much better!!!
Yea and some of that power loss (or at least quickness off the line) is due to the fact that when you go to a larger wheel and tire you can change the gear ratio in the rear end. the stock r/t's have a ratio of 2.82 stock. with 22" rims/tires you are pushing it to 2.6x area, which means slower takeoff. I'm not sure what the ratio in sxt's are, but going from a 17" wheel to a 22" wheel is gonna take away a lot!

Sooner or later there will be ring and pinion sets available for our cars and that will be the biggist diferance we can make as far as mods go. (at least for 0-whatever mph improvements)

#19 ·
I am looking into 19" rims for my car.
I currently have the stock 18's.
don't know if anyone else has put 19's on but would I have to tighten the suspension at all to accommodate the larger diameter of the rim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.