Charger Forums banner

2012 Charger SE 8 speed

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  torred 3.5 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just bought a new 12 Charger v6 8 speed. I love the car and the engine. Best v6 I've ever driven. I have some questions on mods. I keep reading that a cold air intake system and certain exhaust systems can boost hp, torque, and most importantly for me being a college student mpgs.

How true is all of this and what are the expected gains? My window sticker for hwy mpg's says "31." How much can I realistically expect to boost this and what are some good products to buy? Will these products void any warranties? Any help is much appreciated as I do not know much about cars.

#2 ·
If you are looking for return on investment then its a bad idea, your gas mileage might improve very slightly it might also degrade, depends on the tune --

I havent seen any dyno results for aftermarket parts on the 3.6 but id guess with intake/exhaust/tuned it would gain 15 hp / 10 tq or so ?

#3 ·
I'd bet doughnuts to dollars without having any solid evidence, CAI will hurt the mileage on your car. If it really helped mpg, don't you think the OEM would include it?

#4 ·
I got mine in March (20th) and the only mods I will do is a tint (done) Black RT grille (on the way) and maybe some MGP covers (yeah I'm vane) but I don't plan on spending any $$$ on anything what would come to the Mpg (I was offered a Hemi for nothing and I declined) I WANT GOOD MPG's

#5 ·
Congrats on the new car. If your doing the mods for mileage, then it's going to be a waste. Very few see an increase and those that do, are minimal.

And at a minimal gain, you can buy ALOT of gas for what those mod's cost :thumbsup:

#9 ·
You don't think the Factory engineers could design a CAI that has all of the "supposed" HP gains and be quiet as a church mouse?

High flow filter, cold air and smooth air flow does not require increased noise.

If there were true gains to be had, the Factory engineers would grab them in a red-hot second.

Accoustic reduction is easy. Hell, for 10 HP they would put a team of a dozen engineers on it to make it meet whatever noise standard was required.

#10 ·
There's a lot of things the factory "could" do for increased power and performance, which usually lead to better fuel mileage when not driven like a race car, that they don't. If they truely engineered everything in the car to maximize the output then there would be no need for any aftermarket parts companies.

#11 ·
If they could get the gains, they would do it.

HP=MPG or HP=Performance...either way it would suit their goals to take advantage of the CAI if it really made a difference.

But it doesn't.

No automotive engineer has ever stated that the CAI was rejected on a stock vehicle for any reason other than it doesn't provide any improvement.

Mopar sells it aftermarket because it makes money, but they don't make HP performance gain claims. Other aftermarket companies do, but the factory performance division doesnt't...what does that tell you?

A CAI from the Factory wouldn't sacrifice emissions, noise level, MPG or anything else.

It just wouldn't add anything...except a cool sound.

#13 ·
Tuner and Exhaust....

Tuner: why not tune it like a predator 89 octane tune from factory?? I get same MPG or better with the tune with increased power.

Exhaust: Factory systems are restrictive... why, because they want to eliminate sound...

^Those two points in itself are things that companies don't optimize for performance... :rolleyes2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.