Charger Forums banner

Rear axle seal leak already ? 45k....

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason84 
#1 ·
Well got my oil changed today. They said my pass side rear axle seal has a slight leak already... Car only has 45k Miles on guess its due for maint but they said it would be $300 to get fixed?

Now Ive worked on my old cars a lot... axle seal is what a $5-$10 part?
Probably 30 mins to pop it out and refill the rear end? Or are these that complicated???

#3 ·
Its common. The guy in the stall next to me has one rack for warranty axle seal and pinion seals that he pretty much does 8 hours a day. i've seen em on vehicles as low as 10k and on average every 30k. Worse on 4wd/awd vehicles with 8 axle seals and 2 pinions

#5 ·
make sure the vent is clear and free of obstructions but seapage from the vent tube is fine

#6 ·
One word, VENT!!!

#8 ·
there is no fix. Its a vent

#9 ·
I had an issue with the fluid coming out of my vent as I drove because it was foaming up. My dealer looked into it and found a TSB for a Jeep that had this problem - they used the TSB part from the Jeep to fix it on my Charger. It consists of a tube shaped filter with the vent on the end - it allows the foaming fluid to expand into it, then drain back in when things stop moving and the heat dissipates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.