Charger Forums banner

drying the car after washing.........

6K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Bighix30 
#1 ·
i saw an expensive device on tv to air dry the car, so i hooked up my leaf blower an what and easy job to get rid of 95% of the water. :bigthumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I use the same Absorber, but it does tend to leave some swirl marks if you are not careful...overall, it does a great job though. I recommend getting a new absorber every year, that has given me the best results. I would not waste money on an expensive car dryer. I have seen a car drying blower on TV as well, and it was over $400 (I think it was a Master Blaster, or something along that line). I have also used a Shop Vac with a blower attachment which helps get the water out of the crevices and the mirrors. The more powerful the Shop Vac, the better the results.

#4 ·
I always use a leaf blower. Works perfectly, especially for all the little nooks and crannies. :)

#5 ·
I tried the leaf blower and did not like it at all. It stirs up dust and dries the paint too fast, resulting in severe water spots. After I'm done washing I use a hose with no nozzle on it to make a flow rather than a spray to sheet most of the water off the surface. Then I use a waffle weave MF towel and blot the remaining water droplets (and there aren't many) off the paint. No swirls using that method!

GTO_04

#6 ·
That's sort of what I do. I sheet dry (with the hose) first, then use the leaf blower to get the rest off (a very low powered model). After that I come in with a towel and clean up the remains.

#7 ·
If you buy one of these and fill it with steam distilled water (grocery store, $1/gal) then you can spray down the wet car before drying and completely eliminate the water spots. Distilled water has zero dissolved minerals and will not leave any spots after it dries.

Attachments

#8 ·
Very true and a good idea! How many gallons does it take to spray down your car? I should hook up the faucets in my garage to the water softener, but I am not big on plumbing projects lol.

GTO_04

#10 ·
Since my car has been dipped I have found that you can dry it with a dirty bath towel or an expensive shammy ND you get the same results.... Plus, no swirl marks... So dip your cars and forget about paint forever. Lol. Sorry...

I love my absorber. I quickly hand wash it after each use and that will prevent swirl marks.

#11 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't in love with the leaf blower. I had several people tell me it was great for drying...... I don't think so. I'd much rather break my back with a shammy than blow the water in every direction. Maybe it's just because I don't have the technique down lol. I'm still trying to master it but I'm close to just letting the leaf blower collect dust.

#12 · (Edited)
This is what I use to dry off my cars after a wash. It works great and it inexpensive.. Yes it's a leaf blower :banana:

Big John

BTW Had an extra emblem to attach to the Toro blower, now its offical

Attachments

Reactions: gollum868
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.