Charger Forums banner

Magic Eraser... on wheels?

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
I know Junkman will have a little something to say about this, but I was cleaning up the house and using some of the Mr. Clean magic erasers. I use it clean the grout in the tile, showers, etc. Does a great job at that, even for doors, light switches, smudges.

Out of curiosity, I read the back of the box of some little generic ones I had from the Dollar Store, and it said they could be used to clean wheels. Did a little bit of Google magic, and Mr. Clean makes a magic eraser for the wheels.

Wanted to know if anyone had ever used it on their wheels. I can see it would be good to use on the back of the wheels, and even on the tires. Although, the regular magic erasers are abrasive, I definitely wouldn't use them on chrome, or anything with a polished finish. My wheels are powder coated, so I'm definitely thinking of trying them out on there.

#2 ·
Good Luck,hope it don't screw anything up.Let us know how well they work.

#7 ·
It's magic in the house when I use them. lol

Here's what you have to consider. Would you use those things on your paint? If your wheels are clear coated or painted, the same clear coat that is on your wheels is the same clear coat that is on your paint. If those things will scratch your paint, they will also scratch the coating on your wheels. That is also true for chrome wheels.

You can always give them a test by scrubbing the back of a CD. If it doesn't scratch the CD, it won't scratch the paint on your wheels. Those erasers are excellent when used on surfaces that they are made for (especially the interior kick panels), but they are NOT something you want to use on painted surfaces.
Yeah, I would definitely NOT use them on my paint. I did try some on the kick panels and door guards, and it took off some nice little scuffs. Work good on some of the interior fabric as well, especially the headliner. Just rung out the majority of the water.

I wouldn't be concerned to use them on my wheels since they're powder coated and also already pretty beat up.
Just don't use a CD that you like. lol
lol. I have blank CD's that get used like one to two times a year. I can't even tell you the last time I purchased an actual CD.

Waterless car wash worked great on all my flat black stuff when I had it.
I'm broke. :( lol. But yes, the waterless wash is fantastic.

#4 ·
Here's what you have to consider. Would you use those things on your paint? If your wheels are clear coated or painted, the same clear coat that is on your wheels is the same clear coat that is on your paint. If those things will scratch your paint, they will also scratch the coating on your wheels. That is also true for chrome wheels.

You can always give them a test by scrubbing the back of a CD. If it doesn't scratch the CD, it won't scratch the paint on your wheels. Those erasers are excellent when used on surfaces that they are made for (especially the interior kick panels), but they are NOT something you want to use on painted surfaces.

#6 ·
Waterless car wash worked great on all my flat black stuff when I had it.

#8 ·
thefever,

To clarify what you probably already know: powdercoating is not wheel clearcoat, and it is in fact tougher. And both powdercoating and wheel clearcoat are tougher than body paint, and thus they would scratch at different levels than body paint.

If you have the challenge of built-up brake dust and grime that a normal car wash solution and a wheel brush can't tackle, a brake dust-dissolving wheel cleaner -- or a block of detailing clay dedicated to wheels -- would theoretically be a safer alternative to using one of these sponges no matter how tough the coating is on your wheels. If it is common tar-like globs that are challenging you, try a tar remover or other finish-compatible solvent.

I have, however, read that people use the sponges on clearcoated wheels with positive results.

I will assert that the "CD test" would not be a completely accurate test in this case since the CD wouldn't have contaminants (brake dust, road grime, etc.) that the wheel would have. It would likely be these contaminants that would be the actual culprit that introduces scratches, and not necessarily the sponge itself.

Since a clay bar deals with the contaminants in a different manner and keeps them away from the surface of the clay to help prevent scratching, clay would be a logical alternative to a sponge in this case.

Usually the "CD test" is used as an indicator for the quality of microfiber towels where all surfaces are presumed clean and if they scratch the CD they might also scratch your paint.

But as you point out that you are using the sponge to clean the back of the wheel and likely you're probably never going to notice any minor scratches, it might be worth a try if your safer alternatives don't work.

Certainly use a quality wax to protect the back side of the wheels once they are clean.

#9 ·
I bought a car several years ago that had some kind of nasty black tar or something on the whels. They were alloy, and i used a magic eraser on them and it didn't hurt. If they make an eraser for wheels then i wouldn't think it'd hurt. Maybe try it on a spot you can't really see if it messes it up, and follow whatever the box says? But i'm not gonna say go out and do it because your wheels are different than mine were and i don't want to hand out bad advice. I would just stick to wheel cleaner if you don't have a really bad problem, just to be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.