Charger Forums banner

2008: Problem removing key from ignition

25K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Phanta5m 
#1 ·
I've got a 2008 with the not-really-a-key key. Since I got the car, I've had three instances wherein I've parked the car, put it into park, and shut it off but then wasn't able to remove the key from the hole. It seems the key won't rotate all the way to its normal release point, which is about 45 degrees counter-clockwise of vertical. Instead, it goes about half way.

I've tried the obvious; jiggling repeatedly, stomping on the brake pedal, starting and stopping the car, putting it into gear and back into park, and moving the car a few feet forwards then re-parking, and rotating the steering wheel.

Twice, some minor effort and combination of the above got the key to release. This morning none of that worked. I eventually drove around the block and lo and behold, the key released normally. It's behaved normally ever since.

The question is: am I doing something wrong? I mean, I've seen cars where you can only release the key if your foot is on the brake, or that have a fit if the steering wheel is in the wrong position, but this doesn't seem consistent.

Any hints or suggestions before I bring this to the cringe dealer?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I too have the 2008 with the key that isn't really a key. I've not experienced any problems like what you describe, but I will describe my exact "exit procedure" for you, which you can try to see if it is in fact something you're doing wrong.

Here's what I do:

On inclines: Stop vehicle, hold brake, apply parking brake, shift to neutral, release brake, reapply brake, shift to park, rotate and remove key.

Flat surface: Stop vehicle, hold brake, park, release brake, rotate and remove key.

Those are the only two ways I've ever parked the vehicle and I've never had a problem releasing the key.

EDIT: Also, from what I've noticed with mine, the steering wheel lock seems to have no relation to the key. My guess is the steering wheel lock is completely computer controlled. Then again, I could be an idiot, and be wrong.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I live in a really flat place, so I've not used a parking brake in 20 years of driving. My exit procedure is identical to your flat egress. Shrug. I'll keep an eye on it and file it as a warranty claim if I need. So far it's about once every other week. That's a lot of start/stop cycles for me.

#7 ·
Its essentially a fat Mercedes Benz Key.

I compared it to a friends C350 and ours is chrome-less and fatter but the shape, and the valet key is the same - just larger.

BTW its called a "FOBIK" :beerchug:

#5 ·
You may have an issue with the WIN. Unfortunately, something is blocking me from saving STAR Online cases. So here is a copy and paste.

Case Number K64849105
Vehicle Issue The ignition is stuck in Accessory and cannot be rotated to the off position.
Year 2008
Model LX - 300 | LX - Magnum | WK - Grand Cherokee | LX - Charger | XK - Commander | RT - Caravan / Town and Country
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Ignition Switch | FOB Integrated Key (FOBIK)
Symptom Stuck | Will Not Turn Off
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification WIN module equipped vehicles.
Recommendation Using the StarSCAN or StarMOBILE read the status of the Gated Park Switch while the ignition is stuck in Accessory.
Make sure the shifter is fully in the PARK position.

If the input is FALSE the shifter or wiring should be examined as the root cause.

If the input is TRUE the WIN module should be replaced for a faulty internal solenoid.

Modification Date 05/07/08 12:23 PM

#9 ·
Thanks for the input. Obviously any and all information is ammunition. Sadly my condition is highly sporadic, not continuous. So far it's been possible to clear the condition. I'm going to let it happen once or twice more to see if I can gather more specific means of clearing it before filing a warranty claim.

#8 ·
When I was buying My 08 I test drove a different color and upon returning to the lot after my drive I could not get the key out.Neither could the salesman. so the car was taken back to a service bay.No luck there either. Guess this was a good reason I did not buy a Torred charger.

#10 ·
Never had this problem with my Bee...My 'not key' almost feels loose in the slot. Hope I don't get this problem as I'm a volunteer fire fighter and I need to get in and out of my car quickly!

#11 ·
This has continued to be sporadic. In three months of having the car, we're looking at maybe six events. Today it took 45 minutes to get the car to release the key. Ironically, it released the key at the dealership when I moved the car into their bay. A tech did get to see it before it released, but that's about it.

They've ordered a replacement receiver for the dash. We'll see.

#15 ·
Okay, here's an update.

Today my backup dealership replaced my WIN module pn:05026298-AF Further, they said that they "found the cause". They claim that the three wires my alarm guys spliced in "were wrapped around the ignition and causing binding". My alarm guy - who is the most popular and experienced in my city of 200,000 citizens - said (I paraphrase) "no fraking way".

So. Right now, my alarm's remote start is cut out, literally. Entertainingly, the factory remote start doesn't work either. I've got a phone call in on that.

I'll update if there's ever more news on this, but there you have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.