Charger Forums banner

Volant CAI Install Before and After Photos With Review

32K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  POWERMAN 
#1 ·
Here is the install of the Volant CAI for the 11-12 Dodge Charger it has only been a few days but so far I seem to be getting a 2-3 MPG increase and the throttle response has definetly improved. I went with the Donadlson Powercore Dry filter(pics included) which states to have improved air flow over cotton gauze filters while being more efficent at trapping dirt and maintance free for 100,000 miles.

A few things I like about this particular airbox is it seals out most of the engine heat and it has a dry filter, we will see how it holds up overtime. The install was easy and it also fits nice and snug with no rattling in the bay the instructions are more of just a diagram but it's pretty basic to put together the seals and clamps seem to be high quality also. We will see how it lasts and performs after some hard mileage.

Attachments

See less See more
#48 ·
Its weird. I had my concerns with the clearance as well but have had no issues at all. The clearance is about the width of your thumb. Can sneak a finger in between the belt and the intake tube. I pushed down and jiggled the intake tube and box around and it never got any closer to the belt. I check it frequently and there is zero signs of the belt even once rubbing up against it. And I drive aggressive. So if they were going to ever run they would have. It was originally a concern of mine but no longer. Is. The weathers been terrible. I know I still owe Ya a pic.

#49 ·
IS this pretty safe from water ingestion? I know its a silly question, and its not like I am drinvg through major puddles or anything, but we do get some crazy rain sometimes.

#50 ·
Perfectly safe. It's an enclosed air box. The only opening in the engine bay is in the front. The bottom goes over ther area where the intake snorkel is (tube that goes in the wheel well). So water cannot drip into it from the hood like it could to an open filter style like the Mopar , K&N etc. You would need to shoot your car with a fire hose at the front driver side head light to have any chance for a drop of water to hit the air filter. This isn't a more protective CAI design. No Worries

Reactions: kevman
#51 ·
I have two questions. First one is why does the CAI have a front opening? I noticed it when I was installing it, is it like a ram air induction or something? And my second question is when I installed mine I noticed that the air sensor wire is very VERY tight...did everyone else just pull the wire or something or do I have the sensor too far into the tube? All I know is my two wires coming off of the back of the air sensor is stretched to the MAX. If anyone requests a pic I will take one.

#54 · (Edited)
You guys have sold me on the Volant. Just had Johan do a tune on the new car and the exhaust done. Can't wait to get the 3 together :-D. Stay tuned.

And for those who are looking for them, the part numbers are as follows:

16357 - Kit with dry filter
163576 - Kit with oiled filter

#55 ·
The Volant has a weather strip that gets put on the engine bay tray to help with water not getting into the filter from the hood.

As for the AIT wire, yes, you'll have to remove tape from the wire harness where the AIT wires connects to get some extra wire PLUS you need to pull out the lower wire harness retainer from the pass side head. It's just a plastic push pin type, so you can pry it out with a flat head screw driver. Very easy and gives you the slack you need to plug in the AIT.

It was a very easy install and looks great, very factory-like. Sounds good under load or WOT too.

#57 ·
Not at all. Cannot tell a difference. It's just there because the front of the box is open and I'm assuming the strip just helps keep water from dripping down and possibly onto the filter.

#59 · (Edited)
Hey Guys and Gals -

I have the Volant as well. I like it and have made some modifications to mine to make it run cooler. First I wraped the elbow by the AIT sensor with exhaust wrap. It cut down the AIT signficantly and keeps the pipe cooler a ton longer in the summer.
I also got 1/2" black weather stripping and placed it on the bottom of the air box around the snorkel air scoop that goes in the fender well to block out any engine bay heat there. and then around the front opening I placed some on the engine side out to almost the front most part of the car to block out engine heat there. Its a cheap attempt at blocking out engine bay heat.
Even though this is an enclosed system engine bay heat heats up the intake air allot more than the stock air box does. The AIT is about 10-15 degrees warmer than stock on average. So in the summer if you are total engine soaked you can have AITs of 110-120 degrees where the stock intake wont get above 100-105 typically in 85 degree temps.
Its not perfect but I do like it. I dropped a quarter second with the Volant and my Dynomax catback without a tune so I can say it certainly doesnt hurt performance.

Attachments

#60 ·
I've been looking at CAI's, and on this one I have a question.

It's a closed box, and hooks up to the stock snorkel underneath. So what difference is there between this and the stock box that makes it perform better?

#61 ·
Well this design has a much bigger filter that stock. Its a giant oval shaped filter in the box. But the air box is also mostly exposed in the front as well (Shieled on the top and sides). Its not 100% enclosed like the stock air box. Its also has a smooth intake tube compared to the ridged one from the stock setup. In theory all of that should lead to more HP but the one thing about CAI is that the air intake temp is going to be allot warmer than the stock intake so if you can keep your engine bay cool along with the intake itself your CAI is going to outperform stock. but if its 100 degrees outside and your AIT is 130 with a CAI compared to 110 from the stock intake (Typical temp discrepancy) than I might take stock.

#62 ·
I think the "C" in CAI is over rated. I believe most of the benefit is from the large diameter, smooth bend piping and oversized, low restriction air filters.

#64 · (Edited)
If your driving around Phoenix AZ in the summer, the air coming down low off the road is about 165 F, two feet up in the grill area its only 135 F, so a CAI is the better option in most places in the warm months. The pavement really lets off a lot of heat.

I am an a retired Air Force weather forecaster: we tested this out on a really boring Saturday with the outside air temp at 119 F. We used both old style mercury thermometers and new electronic ones, and only had 1 F difference.
It started out as an experiment to see why little kids were always crying when walking across parking lots...we surmised that they were literally being cooked...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.