Charger Forums banner

Volant CAI Install Before and After Photos With Review

32K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  POWERMAN 
#1 ·
Here is the install of the Volant CAI for the 11-12 Dodge Charger it has only been a few days but so far I seem to be getting a 2-3 MPG increase and the throttle response has definetly improved. I went with the Donadlson Powercore Dry filter(pics included) which states to have improved air flow over cotton gauze filters while being more efficent at trapping dirt and maintance free for 100,000 miles.

A few things I like about this particular airbox is it seals out most of the engine heat and it has a dry filter, we will see how it holds up overtime. The install was easy and it also fits nice and snug with no rattling in the bay the instructions are more of just a diagram but it's pretty basic to put together the seals and clamps seem to be high quality also. We will see how it lasts and performs after some hard mileage.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How was the instal on this? I got the impression that the front bumper had to come off in order to get it installed, for some reason. I thought I remembered reading this when I looked into them before. That's probably the only reason I have held off in getting this. I'm not exactly too confident in messing with body work on my own and didn't want to mess anything up.

From what I have read, I think this might be the best bet for a cai!

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing pics!

#3 ·
It depends what year your Charger is 05-10 the bumper needs to me removed in order for the scoop tube to be installed so it sucks cooler air from under the bumper. For 11-12 the bumper does NOT need to be removed the Volant airbox fits in the same spot the stock airbox was in since there is already a factory scoop installed and the airbox just fits and sits over the opening in the engine bay. :beerchug:

#5 ·
Under normal conditions and cruising speeds there is really no diffrence in sounds but under WOT or heavy throttle you can hear the engine grab some fresh air.

#6 ·
Nice, real clean looking! Congrats!

#7 ·
I wanted one of these, but my hood scoop is functional, and would defeat the purpose.

Looks good though.

:bigthumb:

#8 ·
Thanks for the feedback that is another thing I like about this kit it's got a clean almost factory look to it this is also my first time dealing with the Volant company but so far they seem like they know their stuff.

If your hoodscoop is fuctional and it routes air to the top of your airbox (filter) they yes it would totally defeat the purpose of this CAI :beerchug:

#10 ·
From New Level Motorsports based out of San Diego, Ca with the dry filter I paid 274.87with free ground shipping and shipped same day. I put a link to the dry filter for the 11-12 Dodge Charger.

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/163576.html

#12 · (Edited)
lol I been waiting for you to say that Bullet it is a lot wider than it is long and CLAIMS to have better flow and filtration over cotton gauze while being more effective at trapping dirt.

Donaldson is a GIANT company that makes filters for just about anything that needs clean air and has a proven and clean track record in doing this it is also a dry filter which is a plus for me. :beerchug: Check out this link it has alot of good info on this type of filter and it's benifits.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/059806.pdf

#13 ·
I have the old version volant on my 06 and you only have to remove the bottom black piece under the front bumper. I ended up taking the bottom pipe out because it kept banging around making noises. I think it was useless anyways.

#21 ·
By far that is the best looking aftermarket CAI I have seen.

Very nice.

Do you feel like it added any performance?

On my R/T I noticed a HUGE difference when adding the Airaid CAI, but on the SRT I didn't notice any difference at all.

#22 · (Edited)
Hey thanks FLEX,

as far as performance goes the throttle responce is great after the install and when in WOT and passing situations it does seem to have a bit more power but it is hard to be sure or exactly how much HP without a dyno. I am happy with it so far and I believe my engine is better protected from dust vs stock filter also. I would imagine the diffrence would be minimal in a SRT due to it being so quick and fast and tuned for speed from the factory maybe.

#25 ·
Okay, just got my Volant CAI in yesterday. Installed it last night after work. Didn't take long (about 30 min cause I was tired as :2232censored:). Anyway, I took my '12 Charger RT+ for a drive and was thrilled!! :SM120: WOT made my sleepiness go away. Even found a back road and burned a little rubber without turning the traction control off...

#26 ·
What filter did you choose oiled or dry yea it makes a big difference in performance vs stock no more lag

Sent from my iPhone using AG

#28 ·
I went dry filter also for 2 reasons no worry of oil getting into any sensors and also Donaldson has a great track record of making great filters for just about anything that needs clean air.

Sent from my iPhone using AG

#34 ·
I have also ordered the same thing for my 2012 R/T Max. Just looks like it belongs, classy!
Thanks for the lead was going with K&N but this by far is much better looking and cheaper as in price, defiantly not quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#39 · (Edited)
Went with same CAI and love the results so far. I have been crusified for attempting to explain this in the past. However, I took a drill to the fake mesh plastic panel on the bottom of my bumper. I then took it off and used a dremmel to cut out all the middles of little plastic diamond shapes that make up the mesh. I re installed the mesh piece and had my buddy rev the motor while i had my hand hand near this piece and you can actually feel air being sucked in. This piece leads directly to the bottom of the Air box. I then drilled a little hole in the back underneath the bumper so water could escape if any got trapped in there. In my mind it's like an instant RAM air. As i said i could be explaining this wrong. However, in my mind it makes sense. I'll post some pics when I get home.

#42 ·
is there some trick in getting the filter inside the box? Fitting it is extremely difficult

#43 ·
Hey Guys - Just got the Volant intake a couple weeks ago. I do like it but there are a couple questions I want to ask you guys. Maybe I installed it wrong but does your air box fit right over the hole that goes into the fenderwell (where the snorkel is) or does it sit slightly above it? Mine seems like it could be sucking in hot air from the bottom of the air box. There is about an inch gab between the bottom of the air box and the fender hole.

Also does anyones intake tube touch or is really close to the belts on the motor? I only have about 1/2-3/4" gap between the bottom of the intake tube and belts.

Thanks Guys

#44 · (Edited)
hey guys I have a 2012 Dodge charger RT and I ordered the Volant and I must say just from driving it for a few minutes I could already tell I loved it! It made my car feel more alive and the sound with WOT sounded absolutely terrifying to other drivers (gave it that mean sound to match the mean look!) I also noticed a bit more response time on the acceleration, usually I would have to go half throttle to reach 4k RPM's but now I go about half that and she comes to life! The ONLY negative thing I can say is please have some experience with CAI's cause the instructions are WORTHLESS! Just a bunch of pictures that were NOT even in the correct order!! Amazing product, HORRIBLE instructions!
TIP: If you do NOT have any experience in CAI's watch K&N's video on their CAI on the vehicle cause the steps are pretty much the same except the air boxes are different. Here's the link to the video and remember it IS a tight fit getting it in there but it IS worth it! =) There's the link to that K&N Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgpjtlMelrE

#45 ·
I have to Volant as well and pairs up with my Dynomax Catback I knocked 2 10ths off my quarter mile.

When temps get warm. Get some 1/2" black weather stripping and place it around the areas where heat can get into the filter. Cover the bottom and around the front opening. You'll be amazed at how much hot air even that design will suck in. I also got exhaust wrap and wrapped the tube around where the AIT sensor is. Doing both will drop your AIt by 5-10 degrees. But you will always run 15-20 degrees Warmer than the stock intake. So if you take it to the track. Be sure that intake tube and box are ambient temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.