Charger Forums banner

First time Drag Racing SRT

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  genius 
#1 ·
Got about 2000 miles on the 2016 SRT. Going to the strip this week.

I read about the ice and avoiding the wet box and burn out but what I want to know is the specifics for the SRT.

I have stock tires. Should I use the launch control at say 1500? One time I used it on a back road and the tires just spun like crazy, had this huge plume of smoke and didn't go anywhere.. after watch youtube, maybe I didn't press the gas to the floor fast enough during staging.

And can I just use track mode and let it shift on its own?

#2 ·
I ran mine last year and I got the best time out of Sport mode and no launch control. I was new with the car now that I have some time with the car I'm going to try the LC again but from what I've been reading the LC doesn't help.

#3 ·
I'm concerned because the track I'm going to says no burn outs on the line. So if I use the LC and burn out, they're going to be pissed at me.

If only I could find a friggin road somewhere and play around before the track...

#4 ·
They must mean they don't want you to heat up the tires on the line, it's a race track cars are going to burn out leaving the line. They should have a waterbox if you need to warm up the tires prior to your run. From what I remember if you are using street tires there is no real need to heat up the tires. Drive around the box and do a quick spin to clean off the tires before staging.

#6 ·
Probably too much going on as your trying to stage the car to be messing with the launch control so I would forget it on the track for now. Just do a powerbrake launch until you find the right rpm. I'd go with a custom setup, transmission in track, suspension in street.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#7 ·
What he said, I did my best in Sport mode and let the car do it's thing. Got 12.9@110. This year I'm going to mess with tire pressures and try to squeeze a few more tenths out of it. I'm happy with the 12.9 though. Not bad for an off the shelf 4 door.

#9 ·
Thank you. That did help. I don't know how this track works as far as taking turns and whatnot.... hopefully I don't make a total jackass out of myself. It's a test and tune day so I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward.

#10 ·
It's test and tune so take your time and do some experimenting, try track mode on one run, sport the next and see what works

No two cars are exactly the same so you will want to find the perfect combo for your car to get the best times

#11 ·
So long story short, I didn't go to the track. I don't have a helmet. :(

Did some pulls on a back road I found. 1st pull was the best, see attached. Used Track Mode with LC at 1500. Second one was track with self power braking and throttle roll. Got 5.0 0 to 60 and 13.1 quarter. Did a 0 to 60 pull with LC at 1750 and got same 0 to 60.

Besides my novice racing skills, is my car performing as it should bone stock?

Attachments

#12 ·
Yeah, sounds about right for a non-prepped road surface and a rookie launch (I'm a rookie too). Mine did 12.9 and 109 mph at the drag strip on a hot July day last year, with the adjustment for temperature/humidity it came to 12.5 and 111 mph. I never used the SRT pages at the track (too much going on already when launching for me), so I don't know how accurate they are compared to the track system. Even though the pros can get these things to the mid 12s, even they struggle with wheel spin sometimes and it will be pretty hard for normal people like us that don't do it for a living to match their numbers and use the car to it's full potential. You got some good baseline numbers though, it should only get better from there once you head to the track :bigthumb:.

#13 ·
Also keep in mind, when you see the advertised, "record best" or general best times for you trim of car in it's bone stock form: 1-That record was probably from a phenomenal launch and run, 2-The weather and DA was probably also in the driver's favor, and 3-every car is different.

Point being, don't be discouraged if your numbers never quite reach what someone with the same car has reached.

#14 ·
Today

Today I messed around on a back public street. It was like 80 degrees today so it wasn't. Did three pulls. One thing I found was using sport mode with a manual launch = bad juju. Tons of wheel spin, bad times all around.

My best time TODAY was when I used Track mode with traction control on and LC set at 1750. Below was my best time. (On a side note, I really love that feature of saving the time cards to the website).

Reaction Time sec.
0-60 ET 5.0 sec.
0-100 ET 11.2 sec.
1/8 ET 8.4 sec.
1/8 mph 84 mph
1/4 ET 13.0 sec.
1/4 mph 106 mph
Brake Dist Ft Ft
Brake from mph mph

After my third pull, I decided to call it a day and leave (no sense and keep pulling on a hot day). Just as I left, a local PD patrol car was slowly driving in the opposite direction as I approached the regular traffic.... oops:p.

I got a dyno appointment next week. I am hoping it will help me decide if it's truly worth it to get my PCM turned in for an unlock so I can use my Trinity again. It's been weighing on my mind for a while. The tuner guy said he'll also do some pulls at different modes to help me see how much power I can generate in Track vs say Sport.

For this particular car, custom "sport mode" with the Traction control in "Street" is good for day to day driving. I still need to play around a little bit. I can just hit the paddles when I want to get some extra pull. I did experiment using sport mode with a track mode tranny as normal driving and it was too jerky in my humble opinion.

#15 ·
Today I messed around on a back public street. It was like 80 degrees today so it wasn't. Did three pulls. One thing I found was using sport mode with a manual launch = bad juju. Tons of wheel spin, bad times all around.

My best time TODAY was when I used Track mode with traction control on and LC set at 1750. Below was my best time. (On a side note, I really love that feature of saving the time cards to the website).

Reaction Timesec.
0-60 ET5.0 sec.
0-100 ET11.2 sec.
1/8 ET8.4 sec.
1/8 mph84 mph
1/4 ET13.0 sec.
1/4 mph106 mph
Brake Dist FtFt
Brake from mphmph

After my third pull, I decided to call it a day and leave (no sense and keep pulling on a hot day). Just as I left, a local PD patrol car was slowly driving in the opposite direction as I approached the regular traffic.... oops:p.

I got a dyno appointment next week. I am hoping it will help me decide if it's truly worth it to get my PCM turned in for an unlock so I can use my Trinity again. It's been weighing on my mind for a while. The tuner guy said he'll also do some pulls at different modes to help me see how much power I can generate in Track vs say Sport.

For this particular car, custom "sport mode" with the Traction control in "Street" is good for day to day driving. I still need to play around a little bit. I can just hit the paddles when I want to get some extra pull. I did experiment using sport mode with a track mode tranny as normal driving and it was too jerky in my humble opinion.
I realize that it's an additional $400, but wouldn't it be a better idea to purchase the Diablo PCM instead of flashing your stock one. This way you can put the stock one back in if you have to bring the car into the dealership?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.