Charger Forums banner

I want your opinions! trying to choose between a few different wheels

18K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  baller1015 
#1 ·
Not trying to be THAT guy, but I guess I am.

I'm trying to choose between a few different wheels, assuming I find them to purchase. My car is a 2014 billet silver RT.

I'm choosing between the challenger scat pack wrt wheels, the scat pack wr2 wheels (standard on the charger scat pack), and the challenger and charger alcoa forged srt wheels that would be powder coated black. I've attached pictures of the wheels and my car.

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to share their opinion. Thanks in advance everyone.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I love a dark wheel on a light car. I think chrome gets lost on a lighter color car, such as white or silver.
I must say I disagree with this opinion. Black wheels, particularly matte black wheels, almost completely disappear in a high contrast setting. Black wheels, black tires, and black wheel wells are a recipe for a Black Hole. If you just paid $$$$ for a new wheel set, would you want it to show it off like this 370z? (and I didn't cherry pick this picture, there are many others like it)

Black wheels can have a place - on a monotone or murdered out black car. I've also seen some glossy black wheels on red Chargers that I thought were well done.

I'm trying to choose between a few different wheels, assuming I find them to purchase. My car is a 2014 billet silver RT.
You've picked out some nice alternatives. Of these three, my preference would be the WR2 as there is some machining on the spokes to highlight the wheels.

I had the Alcoas on my Challenger 6.1. These are nice wheels - reasonably light weight and certainly not ostentatious. However, if you decide on these I would go with a gunmetal or titanium type of powder coat. You get away from the black hole trap and it complements your car's color nicely. For example here are some gunmetal 5-spoke designs on billet.....

Reactions: baller1015
#16 · (Edited)
I must say I disagree with this opinion. Black wheels, particularly matte black wheels, almost completely disappear in a high contrast setting. Black wheels, black tires, and black wheel wells are a recipe for a Black Hole. If you just paid $$$$ for a new wheel set, would you want it to show it off like this 370z? (and I didn't cherry pick this picture, there are many others like it)
I agree completely....my first choice would be the SRT wheels, but with black pockets and machined face

another aftermarket option would be the boss 338 wheels with the machined rim and grey or black spokes. IIRC they come in 20x8.5, which might be wide enough for 275's....I've been happy with 255/45's on my daytona-ized chrome clads....

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with drsvelte, and out of the options you put out I would say the WR2s because they are not pitch black and you can still see the detail on them from any distance. Powerman brought up a good point too though, skinny spoke wheels will make stock rotors look tiny and goofy but I think that would be more of a concern if you were going to 22s instead of 20s. The WR2s have enough coverage that I think the attention would be placed on them and not the brakes. They are expensive though! Otherwise I would go with the Challenger wheels, maybe powder coated gunmetal or something like that.

I'm also going through the internal debate of what wheels I would want for my car. I really like my 100th AE wheels but I really want 20x9 so I can put 275s on all corners. I am more or less leaning towards the replica first gen Charger SRT wheels, maybe stock or powder coated in gunmetal as well to stay somewhat close to the AE style but with beefier tires. I like the murdered out look, it looks sweet but it's also one of the more common styles for black cars nowadays. Good luck!

#8 ·
Powerman brought up a good point too though, skinny spoke wheels will make stock rotors look tiny and goofy.
This is a good point highlighted by Eddie and something that many people seemingly ignore. It goes double for anyone contemplating 22" wheels.

#9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies, you guys make some great points. One if the reasons I like the wr2 wheels is that they have that machined look. I will be painting my calipers but my rotors are stock, so hopefully they won't look too strange with 20s. But please keep the opinions coming, I really appreciate it.

#10 ·
What if I went gloss black with red calipers? Does that lessen the black hole effect that Drsvelte spoke of? And if I go with the Alcoas does that eliminate the awkward rotor sizing?

#11 ·
What if I went gloss black with red calipers?
I think its more a matter of not drawing undue attention to both your rotors and calipers. I mean, they are nothing special. Why draw the eye to them when you want to accentuate the wheels into which you've just sunk $$$$? If you really want to paint calipers to clean them up, stay with a black or gray so they remain in the background. (Of course a Big Brake kit is another matter).

Again, I'm not a fan of black. The fact the many car manufacturers now offer black wheels as OEM tells me the fad has probably peaked. Perhaps Dodge is even ahead of the curve a bit by offering the brass monkey wheels on the Hellcat.

#12 ·
Interesting point about the brass monkeys....

My plan was to paint the calipers and put a mopar decal on them. I'd love a big break kit, but that's just out of my price range for now.

I've had all sorts of feedback from friends on the black rims, mostly positive, but I liked the wr2 because they are a little different. I was also considering the machined black pocket five spoke wheels from the 08-10 charger for a while.

#13 ·
I've had all sorts of feedback from friends on the black rims,mostly positive
No question, they are popular. Sort of like Viper reproductions of a few year's ago - either everyone had them or wanted them.

I liked the wr2 because they are a little different.
Me too!

#15 ·
Hands down I'd go for the optional scat pack wheels the lightweight ones. (first picture you posted). I think they look the best and they're also forged so should be stronger than the base scat pack wheel.

I also like having some contrast like my centercaps are Mopar BT pieces plus polished lugs.

Don't get me wrong I've got the Challenger SRT wheels on my Charger in summer and I like them but I'd swap them for those optional scat pack wheels in a hearbeat.

I know black wheels are a bit played out but I've always liked them. My winter wheels are a satin black stock 18 and summer is a texture black SRT Challenger wheel and I think both look really sharp on my Silver Steel which is sorta like your Billet (but not really).

#26 · (Edited)
Here's a different style wheel offered by Hotchkis. 20x9" and 20x10" staggered fitment, with correct offsets, bolt pattern, and center bore. Machined surfaces with graphite accents. They are currently on sale at the Tire Rack.

Here's a photo of the wheels on a Challenger, although I think these have a slightly different finish.

#27 ·
Those are nice, I like them , and I do like the staggered setup as well. One thing about the staggered setup... How does it affect daily driving? Or does it?

#29 ·
Good to know. If I don't end up doing a staggered setup with my wheels, I'm thinking I'll at least do it with tires.

What size tires do you run front and back?

#30 ·
Currently I have 245/45 front and 275/40 rear. I would like to go wider in the rear, but I'm not sure I want to go as large as 315/35. But the range of alternatives between those sizes is fairly slim.

#31 ·
I would think going larger than that in the rear for me would have an impact on performance with the unsprung weight of the Tire, but I may be wrong. I think on my RT 275 would be fine.

#32 ·
Yes, bigger tires are usually heavier, but there are exceptions. Michelin PSS, which are large tires for their nominal size, are often relatively "light" weight.

#33 ·
I've also found a couple of tires on tire rack that come in 275 that weigh 30 lbs, and 245 at 26 lbs. They're generals, I think gmax is what they are called. They have good reviews and a few people on here have used them. They're not too pricey either.

#34 ·
Is there anybody that could do a quick chop of the wr2 wheels on my car? I have an opportunity to purchase them but I'd like to see how they look on my car first if possible. Doesn't need to be perfect, I just have zero skills at it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out

#36 ·
And I believe that directional tires can't be rotated if I go with a staggered setup correct?

No worries, thanks for pointing that out to me.

#37 ·
You got it buddy, you already wouldn't be able to go front to back and with a directional tire you won't be able to go left to right. That would not be good at all.

Text Font Document

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

Like I said, I looked at them but directional tires don't rotate side to side and some say there not good in snow.

I went with these and I love them
Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons:

Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Rim

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Rim

Tire Synthetic rubber Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel

Sorry, my baby is really dirty right now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#38 ·
You got it buddy, you already wouldn't be able to go front to back and with a directional tire you won't be able to go left to right. That would not be good at all.

View attachment 169577

View attachment 169585

Like I said, I looked at them but directional tires don't rotate side to side and some say there not good in snow.

I went with these and I love them
Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons:

View attachment 169593

View attachment 169601

View attachment 169609

Sorry, my baby is really dirty right now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for the info and tire recommendation.

What kind of climate do you live in?

I live in Oregon where we get a lot of rain, not much (if any) snow, and some sunshine in the summer. So I think all season would suit me best. I've never had anything other than all season and I've been fine.

And dirty or my you still have a fine looking charger!

#44 ·
Lol just when I thought I had it figured out with the wrt I had a Challenger talk member tell me he had his sp coming in a few weeks. So I figured I try to get a look. I'm turning into a real wheel snob!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.