Charger Forums banner

2014 Charger Water Pump

12K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  VictoRoy 
#1 ·
Just wanted to pass on what I found out today. My car was making a hell of a noise and I just assumed it was the idler pulley. Brought it in for service today and it was the water pump. It failed with less than 8k miles on the car. Turns out there is a design flaw with the 2014 model at least and there is a redesigned pump that they are replacing them with.

So if you hear anything get it checked. It could be your water pump failing.

#26 ·
Did it sound like this?

I'm pretty sure mine is doing the same thing although mine has the 3.6. It started at about 8K miles. I haven't taken it in yet due to my work schedule and I'm at almost 10K miles now. Here's a video I shot with my cell phone for a sound comparison.

http://youtu.be/7kHqwe00_bM

Towards the end I hold my phone down next to the water pump once the cooling fan shuts off and the sound is very pronounced. Lubing the belt, pulleys, and tensioner had absolutely no effect on the noise leading me to the water pump. Hopefully I can schedule my car in and have it done in one shot without going through another frustrating ordeal at the stealership when they tell me they can't duplicate the problem. :frown2:

#3 ·
Did the dealership say if this was going to be a recall item or not?

#4 ·
It was a high pitch squeal. Drove me insane.

Nothing about a recall which blows my mind because I just got the car back and looked at it...talk about a redesign. I wish I had a before picture but here is an after shot.

Attachments

#5 ·
Hmm I've been hearing a high pitched squeal sound when accelerating. I wonder if this could be it.

2014 phantom black rt max

#6 ·
Mine was noisy all the time but I would take it in if I were you. Just to be safe.

#18 ·
Sorry, should have specified.

Mine is a 5.7.
a14umbra - You should be ashamed of yourself for not being able to tell a Hemi engine front when you see one! You gotta spend more time under the hood.

#8 ·
Sorry, should have specified.

Mine is a 5.7.

#9 ·
Oh good call a14umbra. I may need to get the dealer to check it out. Mine is a 5.7 as well.

2014 phantom black rt max

#10 ·
I've tried to google some more information but I came up empty. I did see this post from a year ago that eerily similar...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172665

Hopefully its one of those things that if it fails, it will fail quick so warranty will cover it. I would be pretty upset is if failed with 40k on the car and the warranty didn't cover it anymore.

#11 ·
Thanks for posting your resolution and information, Vuhdoo!

#16 ·
8k and 13k, you both did well - mine went with under 1000 on the clock

Had the same high pitched squeal - could hear it in the car, over the top of the stereo when stopped at lights etc. When I remote started the car and heard it, sounded really bad.

Dealer swapped it and all good since - 26k later :)

I'm sure anyone with this issue will be sorted OK as it is a known issue like you said :)

#20 ·
I wonder if the water pump is a different one on the police package? Don't recall any early failures on ours, sixes or eights.

#21 ·
I have been having a high pitched whine in my charger, only after first few accelerations would it go away. This is happening in all temperatures. Problem is, by the time I get it to the dealer, it will not do it. I have left it over night at the dealer, they said they test drove it the next morning, but still could not hear anything. I have made recordings from my iPhone 6+, multiple times, and can hear it from that also. It's weird how it goes away and doesn't come back after a few accelerations. I have 20K on my Charger now, just wish they could hear this sound. They say no codes have been passed or stored. Going to take my recordings to the dealer and see if they can take a second look at my car..

#22 ·
Be sure to keep us posted, Moorepheus!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.