Charger Forums banner

Transmission Leak!

13K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  amrican1 
#1 ·
This is not cool! I've had my Daytona for exactly 2 weeks now, with only 400 km on it. I went to leave for work this morning and pulled out of the garage when I noticed a puddle on the pavement. When and checked it out, and sure enough it was Tranny fluid, and a significant amount at that. I'm going into the dealership tomorrow to get looked at, but to be honest I'm a little pissed off. I'm concerned with what they're going to tell me even though it would be covered under warrenty. Any thoughts!

#3 ·
06sxt06 said:
I would not even drive it to the dealer... I would get it towed. Broken seals, hopefully, and not a damaged transmission.
Excellent advise: you could do serious damage if you drive it, and the dealer could refuse to fix it under warranty if you cause further damage by driving it. Call the dealer and tell them to tow it in.

#4 ·
Your problem seems to be that you have been driving kilometers and not miles. Those of us that have been driving miles have not had this problem!

:happy:

#5 · (Edited)
After some discussions with the dealership and the fact that we cannot actually check our transmission fluid levels, they have arranged for a flat-bed to come and pick the car up tomorrow morning. Hopefully, the problem isn't going to be anything major, but anytime your tranny is leaking there is room for concern. I'll let all of you know what happens, and if it's something that all of us need to worry about. Car still rocks though!

#6 ·
Keep us informed. I for one am starting to get concerned about our trannys. I have not had any problems but I have seen too many complaints for such a short period of time on the road.... Things are only bound to get worse... Best of luck to you and the rest of us...

Glad I got the extended warrantee....

#9 ·
Well, she's all fixed! Fortunately, turns out the factory in Bramptom inproperly installed transmission pan gasket. They replaced the gasket and shampood the underside of the car, so everything looks to be good. Hopefully, this was first and only problem that I'll experience with the tranny.

#10 ·
I just took mine in this morning for a small transmission fluid drip.
Come back here, quick search, and find all of these treads. This makes me feel alot better. Hopefully mine is just a pan gasket too. It only drips 1-2 drops a day or so.

BTW, This forum is awesome.

#11 ·
UA_who said:
I just took mine in this morning for a small transmission fluid drip.
Come back here, quick search, and find all of these treads. This makes me feel alot better. Hopefully mine is just a pan gasket too. It only drips 1-2 drops a day or so.

BTW, This forum is awesome.

You want to see a transmission leak? Check out what happended to one of the magnum guys here. That is A LOT of transfluid on the garage floor, almost looks like blood. Onlything missing is the chalk-outline of his magnum....

(and by the way, if you ever have to have your charger (or any LX car) towed, stress the use of a flatbed, look how close his front bumper is to the ground the way its being towed)

#12 ·
Dang, that looks nasty.
I didn't get a picture of my garage floor, but it was much smaller than that. 8"-10" dia puddle. Nice rosy pink fluid instead of that blood red.

I'm expecting a call from the shop very shortly. I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't anything big.

#13 ·
I haven't seen a puddle yet, but when I was tightening my header bolts, I noticed the passenger side and bottom of the tranny pan was wet with fluid.

There are two possible problem's I've found that may be the cause...

1) tranny pan gasket improperly installed.
2) leak around the wiring harness gasket.

The wiring harness is also on the passenger side.
I'm getting them to look at this tomorrow. It could be the first cold snap around here has affected the gasket and exacerbated the problem.

#14 ·
I just got the call from the dealership: They replaced the fluid drain plug. ??
Go figure. It probably was the cold(er) weather that loosened the plug.

I'm happy again! Picking it up this afternoon - gonna have it washed and waxed !

#15 ·
I changed oil on mine and noticed the pan was wet in the left front corner. Took mine in 2 weeks ago and they put dye in to see where the leak was. They replaced the pan gasket. I need to get underneath it to see if that fixed the problem.

#16 ·
Just got back from picking up the necessary morning Cup 'O Joe. Wife is in the garage pointing at a little puddle......geeez, tranny fluid. Not too big. About 3 inches diameter. Musta started last nite. Anyway, taking it into the dealer tomorrow...was going there for another reason in spite of this...and having it fixed. Will report back on diagnosis and treatment. My R/T has over 13,000 miles on it and this will be the first 'real' issue I have had with mechanical aspects. :confused:

#17 ·
I think the dipstick tube is there just no inner stick, does anybody know the correct part number? It is a different number than 300c, jeep, and maybe magnum?

#18 ·
Just back from dealer. Seems there is a minor, couple drops, leak at the electrical connection to the tranny. Part ordered but it is on 'back order' so will take a week and a half to get in to dealer service. Like the service department said, on back order so must be happening at a rate out there. Well, duh! Said I could still drive car since tranny leak was so minor and the level had not dropped...didn't have to put any in. Also said the dip stick for the tranny was considered a 'special' tool for the Charger, and I am guessing all lx's that have this 'sealed' system.

#19 ·
I just noticed the same thing last week the day after the first really cold spell here in the Dallas area. It is at the dealer right now and from what I understand from the service advisor is that it is a leak around the connector for the control wiring harness. He said this is a common problem on the trannies and the cold weather exasterbated the problem.

#20 ·
The problem with this is that you have to know the temperature of the trans fluid to a pretty accurate degree. There is a chart in the service manual that shows what the level of fluid should be on the stick for certain temps. I'm not exactly sure how you get the trans fluid temp other than using the StarScan.

The NAG1 trans is very persnickety about the fluid level. It doesn't like to have just a little too much or a little too less.

70GTO said:
I think the dipstick tube is there just no inner stick, does anybody know the correct part number? It is a different number than 300c, jeep, and maybe magnum?

#21 ·
I am now a member of the leaky tranny club. I walked out to my car this morning and there was at least a half a quart of fluid on my driveway. I took it to the dealer and they said they were able to temp fix it and they ordered a new gasket for it. I do not know what gasket but I will find out after it is changed.

#23 ·
ANTMAG06 said:
I am now a member of the leaky tranny club. I walked out to my car this morning and there was at least a half a quart of fluid on my driveway. I took it to the dealer and they said they were able to temp fix it and they ordered a new gasket for it. I do not know what gasket but I will find out after it is changed.
It seems like there's an awful lot of this going on. Is there a common thread like a time frame when these cars were manufactured? Sounds like there's going to be a lot more of this.

#24 ·
Hemiready said:
It seems like there's an awful lot of this going on. Is there a common thread like a time frame when these cars were manufactured? Sounds like there's going to be a lot more of this.
My car is a 5/05 build and I just hit 9500 miles. I think the common trend is the cold weather. It got down to about 19 deg. here the other night. the night before I found the leak. I could not put her in the garage because it is still full of boxes.

#25 ·
Update on my transmission leak. The dealer said that they temp fixed it and it would not leak as much...Bull it still leaks just as much as it did the first time I told them about it. They had to order two gaskets and they are following a TSB. I do not know what TSB but like I said I hope after it is fixed I will find out. I have to drop it off on Monday they said it would take about 2 hours to fix. I told them to do the comp flash for the shift points also. I will keep you all updated.

#26 ·
ANTMAG06 said:
Update on my transmission leak. The dealer said that they temp fixed it and it would not leak as much...Bull it still leaks just as much as it did the first time I told them about it. They had to order two gaskets and they are following a TSB. I do not know what TSB but like I said I hope after it is fixed I will find out. I have to drop it off on Monday they said it would take about 2 hours to fix. I told them to do the comp flash for the shift points also. I will keep you all updated.
Antmag,
Were you able to drive the car to the dealer after it leaked or did they pick it up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.