Charger Forums banner

Loss of Power

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  DodgeCares 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 charger Sxt redline with 3.6L.. Recently I've noticed alot of power loss. When I press the gas there's a delay before the car goes. Also I'm in South Carolina so the weather doesnt get to cold here but every morning I let my car warm up for about 10 minutes. When I start to drive and when the car changes from 1st to 2nd gear theres a really hard shift. Anybody know what I can so about these problems.... Thanksbin Advance.

#6 ·
Hi scrap3000,

I recommend taking your vehicle to an FCA dealership for a formal diagnosis. As POWERMAN mentioned, there is a TSB that may be related to your transmission shifting concern; the dealership can take a look at your delay concern as well.

TSB 21-012-14 REV. B

SUBJECT:
8 Speed Transmission Shift Adaptation, Drive Learn Procedure

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves performing a Transmission Adaptation Learn procedure based on a subjective shift quality rating evaluation.

NOTE: The adaptation drive learn procedure must be performed on all 8-speed transmissions when the transmission is repaired/replaced and/or the Valve Body/TCU assembly (mechatronic) is replaced, or when the adaptation
memory cells are cleared with the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool.

MODELS:
2013 - **2015** (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
2012 -**2015** (LD) Charger
2012 -**2015** (LX) 300C
2014 - **2015** (WD) Durango
2014 - **2015** (WK) Grand Cherokee
**2015** **(LA)** **Challenger**

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the 845RE (Sales Code DFL), 8HP45 (Sales Code DFG), 8HP70 (Sales Code DFK), or 8HP90 (Sales Code DFE) 8-Speed Automatic Transmissions.**

DISCUSSION:
The 845RE, 8HP45, 8HP70, or 8HP90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission uses a
sophisticated shift algorithm that includes learned information so that the shift quality remains excellent even as the transmission wears. This learned information is recorded in memory cells referred to “Adaptation Memory Cells”. Each applied clutch records the amount of time it takes to fill the clutch (Fast Filling Counter/Filling Time) and the amount of pressure (Filling Counter/Filling Pressure). The adaptation memory cells are set to zero (0) on every new transmission (new in vehicle and/or replaced for service) and when the transmission control module is replaced for service. In addition, the adaptation memory cells are set to zero (0) when the transmission control module adaptation memory cells are cleared using the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool. Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the transmission shift quality may not meet the customers expectations.

NOTE: Anytime the transmission has been overhauled (unless the Valve Body/TCU assembly (mechatronic) was replaced), the adaptation memory cells must be cleared using the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool.

The adaptation memory cells appear on the wiTECH for every clutch. Each clutch will include:
• Fast Filling Counter = the number of filling time events that has taken place.
• Filling Time = +/- number of ms (milli seconds) from zero (standard set value).
• Filling Counter = the number of filling pressure events that has taken place.
• Filling Pressure = +/- mb (millibar)/PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) from zero (standard set value).
If the adaptation memory cell “counter” is zero (0), than the adaptation memory cell has not been updated. The filling counter ideally should be at least 12 (6 on 8HP70/90) and Fast Filling counter at least 4 (2 on 8HP70/90) to improve shift quality and with each subsequent count, shift quality will improve even more.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that their transmission shift quality does not meet their expectations.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear that. As POWERMAN said, they should perform this TSB if you reference it to them. Be sure to keep us posted on what happens and let me know if you would like assistance scheduling an appointment with another dealership!

#13 · (Edited)
noticed alot of power loss. When I press the gas there's a delay before the car goes
With these fly-by-wire systems everything is electronic and computer controlled. The throttle position sensor is in the throttle body and throttle sensitivity is controlled by the PCM. If any of the sensors are marginal (accelerator pedal position sensor, throttle position sensor, etc ...) the signals to the PCM and throttle body can affect the sensitivity and performance.

I let my car warm up for about 10 minutes. When I start to drive and when the car changes from 1st to 2nd gear theres a really hard shift.
The transmission TCM gets input from the PCM. The abrupt shifting could be because the signals to the TCM indicate that the throttle is open more than it really is (e.g. quick acceleration).

Unless the car is logging some DCT (diagnostic trouble codes) the process for measuring the sensor output signals (voltages) is tedious (meaning time consuming) and I doubt the dealer wants to spend that kind of time chasing the problem.

10 minutes is a long time for a warm-up. Newer model cars only need a minute for all the systems to stabilize. Have you tried a short warm-up to see if the car behaves differently?

So I can only recommend scanning for DCTs plus seeing if the behavior changes with a shorter warm-up (~ 1 minute).

Reactions: GTO_04
#16 ·
Even given the most recent TSB I posted? That's strange since it specifies "OR to improve a customer’s concern of poor shift quality."

In that case, I would recommend bringing your vehicle to another dealership. You can search for nearby dealerships based on your zip code here: http://www.dodge.com/en/find-dealer/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.