Charger Forums banner

Does it really know?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  zander21510 
#1 ·
Have a 2015 RT/RT and have racked up the miles fairly quickly...like 11k since September quickly.

My question is this: I replaced my oil with RP at 4k and the little sticker says come back in April or at 11K (yeah they want me back soon for more $$$) but at 4K my oil life indicator went to 35% life. After the synthetic and now 7K later I have 53% life.

Does the oil life indicator look at RPM/viscosity/load/time and such and make a calculation (which I think is beyond cool) or does it come up with the number a different way?

I figured it was some sort of timer but since the oil life % is so much different this time around , I ask, does it really know?

Thanks for your time!

#2 ·
No, it doesn't know the actual condition of the oil in the least. It takes an algorithim and calculates the speed, idling, fuel flow and temperatures to determine what is approximately the life of the oil is.

The only way to really know anything about the oil is to look at oil analysis of the oil you use. In your case RP.

Opinions are just that, but the analysis is fact. :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#4 ·
^^^ LOL

Seriously though it can't test the oil so it's just a general suggestion based on some parameters as Brian indicated.

I take it as a reminder and based on my schedule I might change the oil right away or a few weeks later.

I can't see it making much of a difference.

I run Mobile 1 synthetic and I could probably change the oil much less frequently than the system suggests.

#5 ·
#7 ·
^^^^^^^
Exactly lolol

#9 ·
Oh whatever happened to sniffing the oil to see if it smelled burnt, and how translucent it was to guess how dirty it was...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.