Charger Forums banner

FINALLY got an srt8 hood. But the fitment is **** *PICS, what can i do?

5K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  Shots 
#1 ·
Hey guys

so here are some pics, i have no idea what brand it is i got it for 250 so i wasnt in a position to complain!

tell me what you think.. i installed it quickly by myself so i didnt really take my time. what are some ways i can adjust this thing? can i bring it to a body shop?

:confused:

See less See more
#5 ·
Check your rear hinge adjustments, setting a hood is a PIA!!!

good luck

#7 ·
Unless you have experience aligning a hood, you might just want to take it to a good body shop to do it for you. DIY is difficult if you've never done it before. The hood needs to be moved in 3 dimensions and every slight adjustment results in a changing of the X,Y and Z axis in ways that aren't predictable or intuitive.

#13 ·
........DIY is difficult if you've never done it before. The hood needs to be moved in 3 dimensions and every slight adjustment results in a changing of the X,Y and Z axis in ways that aren't predictable or intuitive.
X2. I've done 3 hood swaps and they were all a pain. Just a slight twist of one nut, and an area you had lined up perfect is way out. You have to kinda "chase" it around to get it lined up. I'm sure a body shop knows how to do this without chasing it, but DIY is a pain. Not to say that it can't be done, it's just a pain.

FWIW two of the hoods I've done were fiberglass too, so don't count it out. The hood on my Ram is metal, and was the easiest to line up, although it wasn't just a bolt-and-go install. Good luck, take your time, be patient, and don't force anything.

#10 ·
I've never tried to fit a hood, so all I can say is' "Good Luck!"

I have seen many posts about the fg hoods, so one thing I can say is, "Get Hood Pins!" I've seen the pics of the latch breaking out of the cheap hoods, usually at a high rate of speed. Not pretty. :no:

Also, hood pins can help pull the corners down a little, if everything else can be lined up right. ;)

#11 ·
Not only will you need to adjust the hood hinges, but you may also need to adjust the quarter panels. When I had my hood fitted, I was surprised by the body shop at what all can be moved.

#16 ·
Ok this makes me feel abit better knowing theres something that can be done.. i just dont want the hood to flip up while im on the high way lol.. ill go see a body shop and see what they say! soemthing like this shouldnt be too expensive right?60-80$ max? its pretty much just labor im guessing

other than that the hood looks sick and aggressive!

#20 ·
Yeah I've seen several 5-10 year old, fiberglass hoods with no issues, but then I've seen some that do show a few cracked areas pretty early on. Much like the fiberglass truck caps. I had one of those for many many years and saw no cracks. I would guess if you get a poor quality product then you'll see cracks pretty quick, but a quality piece should be okay. I guess only time will tell.

#27 ·
You will need hoodpins for that fiberglass hood. Better safe the sorry. I knew someone that had his fiberglass hood fly up while driving and he almost crashed because he couldnt see.

They sell flush mounted ones that require a key to open...much cleaner looking than the chrome ones you see at pep boys.

#29 ·
"Distracting and ugly" is when your hood flies up at 70 mph and smashes your windshield and roof. ;)

I told you why you should get hood pins, especially with an inexpensive, "no-name" hood. The ONLY thing holding it closed is the latch, and you have NO guarantee that it is mounted properly in the fiberglass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.