Charger Forums banner

Pissed at EVIC

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  CaliforniaCharger 
#1 ·
Who's smart idea was it to show "low fuel" on the distance to empty display in the EVIC? The only time that actually matters is when you're low on fuel! Straight up stupid idea on Dodge's part.

#2 ·
When did you see that? On the '06 SRT it only appears when the calculated MPG indicates that there is less than 50 miles fuel remaining in the tank.

If you have less than 50 miles left, the programming is designed to remind you to get fuel and not give you a distance. The average MPG is the basis, but it was programmed knowing that when you first start the car cold, you are getting only about 10 MPG for the first few mins so if you rely on the average, you might be screwed before you can get fuel. Below a certain level, the distance estimate might be very wrong and they aren't going to take the liability if you run out.

I never let my tank fall below 1/4 before getting fuel anyway. Why play Russian Roulette with fuel? If you run out, you risk burning up the fuel pump since it is lubricated and cooled by the fuel that flows through it.

#3 ·
I'm not sure when it begins to show it; usually when the fuel gets "somewhat" low. However, I know I have 30 or so miles when it stops showing the DTE. Today it became a serious inconvenience. If the EVIC could show how many gallons were remaining or SOMETHING, it'd be much less of a headache. I know you shouldn't let it get below 1/4, but today I faced extenuating circumstances that prevented me from filling it up immediately.

#6 ·
I agree, it has annoyed me as well. It does show when it averages 30 miles or less.
The extended EVIC shows the wierd numbers in the Left and Right tank. But not actual gallons left.

#7 ·
The extended EVIC on the older models allows you to see the fuel level on each side of the car measured in pints. When the total of the two numbers approaches 16 you're risking it.

#8 ·
Yup, the moment mine goes low, the DTE won't register. Functions as designed. At that point, I know I've got about 30km of range left, average. Of course, I do use the extended EVIC screens to watch the tank, which I generally bring down to about a quart, on average. Sometimes I can time things and am down to maybe a pint, but sometimes I'll have to fill with as much as a gallon left in the tank.

With the extended values, it's possible to accurately gauge distance left if you know your car. It actually makes a lot more sense that you have to do math when low instead of just relying on the computer.

#9 ·
10:1 they did it to avoid liability issues.

Say it showed 30m and at 25m you actually ran out in the middle of a bridge, at night, in the rain?

#10 ·
Who's smart idea was it to show "low fuel" on the distance to empty display in the EVIC? The only time that actually matters is when you're low on fuel!.......
......If you have less than 50 miles left, the programming is designed to remind you to get fuel and not give you a distance.....
Not to sound like a jerk but I'd say 50 miles left IS low on fuel.

I see where you're coming from though. It should tell you it's low, but at least allow you an option to display exactly how "low" it is.

I've never gotten this low on fuel. Good to know it's there to remind me though.

#12 ·
On my Toyota, the DTE goes to zero and will stay there for about 40-50 miles. It's programmed to be incorrect to keep you from running out of fuel.

And what's the purpose of running the tank so low anyway? It causes undue stress on the fuel filter and a lot more stress on the driver, especially if the better half is with you. Added points for having the Mother-in-Law along for the ride.

#13 ·
Running out of gas has been know to toast injectors as they suddenly over heat without fuel to cool them.

#14 ·
Based on seeing the EVIC in my wife's '14 Charger SXT Plus, it appears to be the same manufacturer as the one in my '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP. The one in the Subaru goes to low fuel when you go below 70 miles to empty and it's extremely annoying.

#17 ·
Yes, but unreliable information would be even worse. What you want isn't what it is capable of.

Even if it did continue to show you the data, it would be wrong. Chrysler knows that, which is why it is designed to stop showing it to you.

What you really want is to know exactly how much fuel is left in the tank and be able to see the consumption in real time. The Early EVIC systems give us that capability. I would hope there was a way to see that info on the newer EVIC systems as well.

Armed with the real time data of fuel level, your intuition and understanding of the vehicle is a better judge of how far you can go safely than the system is designed to be.

#25 ·
Point to one single auto maker that provides the kind of data you think Dodge should provide.

You won't find any because what you want simply isn't possible with the current technology.

It's not a Dodge issue, it's a technology issue.

Why is that so hard for you to accept?

#31 ·
I was in a [about 05] dodge diesel pickup that ran out of fuel and driver was pointing to DTE readout [showed about 40 miles] while the fuel guage was on empty. Always better to fill top half of tank than bottom . Condesation, filter, cooling of fuel pump just to name a few reasons why I do. Here out west it might save your life

#33 ·
My '04 Stratus runs down to 0. I've only run it down that low a couple of times. In one case it got low, then increased the DTE. Because I was pushing it trying to get home after 2.5 weeks on the road I decided not to stop for gas and ended up running out of gas 5 miles from home with something like 15 miles showing to empty. If it had just showed low fuel, I probably would have stopped and filled up.

#34 ·
Exactly. It ran to 0 which was inaccurate so it reset giving you false belief that you would make it home, showing 15 miles to empty, and you ran out of gas. On a dark deserted road, while driving alone and pregnant in a blizzard, someone is likely to sue for such an error. "Low fuel" is the safe way to avoid that.

#35 ·
Oh, I knew I was pushing it. lol. But 5200+ miles in 2.5 weeks and I just wanted to get home. I was actually surprised I made it as far as I did. Fortunately I rolled to a stop on the exit before mine.

Then I got wait for a ride and a tow truck. So much for getting home in a timely manner.

I did make it from LaCresent, MN to Ann Arbor, Michigan (via the Badger) on a tank of gas though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.