Charger Forums banner

Super Track Pack Tire Question

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  mblock66 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I am a few weeks away from getting my 2013 Road and Track with Super Track Pack. I know the regular R&T comes with Firestone Firehawk GT 245/45R20 and the STP deletes those in favor of Eagle F1 Supercars in the same size.

Being in NJ I was a little nervous of getting the F1's so some of you recommended I ask the dealer to swap the F1's with the All Seasons. Well at first they said ok, now they are telling me I would have to pay for the tires and they would give me $375 credit for the F1's. And the prices they are coming up with for the Firestone, Continentals, or Generals are like $50 MORE per tire then tire rack.

So then they told me their department is very concerned that this buyer (me) wants to put the all seasons on the STP. The car isn't meant for that and their could be major stability problems with the car if I were to "deviate" from the F1's. That is why they specifically come with that option.

Now I am not a newbie and have always driven ultra high all seasons on my cars. Just for the sake of better bad weather management. But is there any truth to this at all? STP is just thicker sways and monotube shocks. It should be perfectly fine to run ultra high performance on that right? Slightly less performance but increased bad weather traction.

Thoughts? Why would the dealer service area be "so concerned"

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Dealers are full of **** and will charge you anything extra they can. You would probably come out better buying the tires yourself and selling the f1s.

#3 ·
Just because they are ignorant. Or being purposely obtuse. Jebus christmas, the SRT-8s have an all season option that are rated to 174 or so. If those tires wont destabilize the SRT, it certainly wont affect your car in a negative way. And $375 for all four F-1s? Thats insane for tires with less than 20 miles on them. They would turn around and sell them so someone wanting to upgrade for $200 each and make a nice profit that way. You would be much better served just getting the car from them as is, selling your stock tires on Craigslist for $150 each. Thats a good deal, considering the buyer will be paying no sales tax or shipping. Get your new tires from there, although I would shop another brand besides the stock all-seasons. A lot of folks here have sung the praises of the General GS03

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...GMAS03XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

#4 ·
Hey everyone. I am a few weeks away from getting my 2013 Road and Track with Super Track Pack. I know the regular R&T comes with Firestone Firehawk GT 245/45R20 and the STP deletes those in favor of Eagle F1 Supercars in the same size.
Smart move requesting some all-season tires, but the dealer is trying to screw you.

The Eagle F1 Supercars are great tires, but they get slick in cold weather, even without any snow or ice on the road. They are worthless in snow.

My suggestion, which is what I ended up doing myself: get yourself a set of winter wheels. If you can spring for it now, this will pay off in the long run. Keep the 20" wheels and tires mounted, but take them off the car. Buy some 18" wheels for the winter months. 18" all-season or winter-only tires get a lot cheaper than 20" tires, and you can get them in the same speed ratings.

Look on eBay for a set of nearly-new take-offs from a Charger R/T or Challenger R/T. I paid $1000 shipped for new Challenger R/T wheels, with all-season Michelins and TPMS installed. Wheel shops will often put custom wheels on a brand-new car, then keep the OEM wheels and sell them on eBay.

If you go this route, you will want to get the TPMS sensors that work with a 2013 computer, and you will have to get them mated to your car (each sensor has its own serial number that the car reads -- a dealer or a tire shop can do this). If you don't get new TPMS sensors, then you need to either swap in the ones from your wheels (and pay for the labor), or deal with the "low tire pressure" idiot light and EVIC messages.

My 20" wheels with F1 Supercar tires are sitting in the garage, ready for springtime.

Oh, and I really don't feel much performance difference with the 18" wheels vs. the 20" wheels. They aren't as sticky, but the OEM Michelin tires are V-rated.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will take a look on ebay for something. I am not even sure what exactly to look for but I guess OEM Charger RT Rims. I was looking at rims on tire rack but I do'nt know what offset fits on these. I have never understood offsets and all that. So I get nervous about ordering rims since I don't know if they will fit.

Would these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-18-Factor...Parts_Accessories&hash=item257a10032c&vxp=mtr

and would these be the recommended winters?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModel=Charger RWD&autoModClar=R/T&tab=Survey

#6 · (Edited)
I am running the Blizzak DM-V1 on my 2012 R/T and they are awesome on snow and ice. They are fine on wet and dry road surfaces as well. They are the best winter tire I have owned by far!

You can search for wheels on tirerack by vehicle. I ordered the 18" steelies from Moparsupercenter.com for about $93 each.

GTO_04

#11 ·
The F1's my car came with were great on dry roads in moderate to warm temps. Not as good in cold weather, or rain, and worthless in frost or worse. They lasted about 19k miles. I now run the General G-Max in 255/45ZR20 size. They are very good, but not as good as the F1's on dry roads, and are MUCH better in cooler weather, rain, and very light snow. Anything more than that and I drive my truck. I currently have just over 24k miles on the G-Max tires and am comfortable recommending them to anyone.

#13 ·
your existing lugs on the car will work. TPMS can be found on ebay for $50/set 4 or less.

as far as tires, might want to check out nokian WRG2 SUV's...they're an all season radial that is winter rated. They work as good as blizzaks, but last much longer. we use ours on our minivan all year round, with 30k on them, they've got another 20k easily before they'll need replacement...and for winter tires, 225/60R18 might be better (a little narrower...narrower is better for snow/ice traction)

before you hit ebay, you shoulda checked out craigslist for 18" charger, challenger, 300C, and magnum wheels. probably could have found a set of winter tires and rims for about $500.

#14 ·
Yeah I checked craigslist and there was nothing in my area at the moment. So I wanted to jump on this since they were only $227 for 4 rims that look pretty cool as well as will be functional. The other Challenger Rims or Charger Rims were going for over $500 shipped.

I will take a look at tires in the 225/60R18 and the 235 55 18 sizes and see what looks the cheapest for the quality.

#16 ·
Perfect thanks for the link. I am going to buy those later so I have them. Then just get the tires and have it all mounted. Delivery is estimated for 2/15 now instead of 3/15 so I might need these set up for then which is why I am pushing to have them.

Snow is still likely here in NJ through about mid March. I thought I would ok getting the car 3/15 and using the F1's but now that it should be here a month earlier I don't know if I can risk it

#18 ·
So I purchased the TPS from the link above (thank you again) and now all I have left are the winter tires. After doing a bunch of researching I think I am going to go with the

Nitto NT-SN2 Winter. http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nitto/nt-sn2-winter/p/tv154000411

There is not one poor review of this tire in 184 reviews. Most highly recommend and would rebuy. They are $150 with free 2-3 day shipping to my door. I don't think I can beat that.

Anyone have any experience with these? They are made by Toyo and I know they aren't the name brand that Blizzak or Continental or some of the others are but based on the reviews and total price I don't think I can beat them.

Plus with a 2.8 mile commute each way to work, I am not really in the snow long so I think almost any winter tire would get me there and home since it is so close.

thoughts?

#19 ·
should work...nittos aren't bad tires, the continuous center rib might make them a little quieter, and possibly not as effective in snow/slush

the firestone winterforces get good reviews and 225/60R18's would be $90 cheaper than the nittos from that site...

#20 ·
Wow you are right $515 shipped for the firestones. I know narrower is better in winter but wouldn't the correct size be 55 height for 18's vs 60? I mean I know the difference is fine but the Speedo will start to get whacky at some point

#21 ·
225/60 was the stock size on 2010 down...

do the math
245/45R20's are 28.68" tall
235/55R18's are 28.18" tall
225/60R18's are 28.63" tall

...your speedo will actually be closer to your summer tires with the 225/60's, but either way they'll all read within 1 mph of each other at 60mph....

#22 ·
I should have just done the math, I was being lazy.

Cool well I am going to go with one of these two tires then. Either way I will be fully set up with winters before the car even gets here. That way if we do get a late winter storm I will throw them on in the driveway. If not , then I have them for next year.

#23 ·
Just the fact that you have the winter tires and rims will keep the snow away! You probably won't even have to install them.:)

Last winter was my second with winter tires on the G8. I had so little snow that summer tires would have sufficed. But the year before I needed them big time. Making it up my driveway with 4 inches of ice was not going to happen with ANY all season tire!

GTO_04

#24 ·
LOL you are probably right. That is ALWAYS how the world works. But for $800-1000 I am prepared for years and years to come. I only put on about 7k miles a year. So thats like 5k on the F1's and 2k on the snows.

I should need tires for either for like 4+ years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.