Charger Forums banner

If you only had to decide on having pep boys or midas install a cat back, which would

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  rkrawiec88 
#1 ·
Yes, I know the mom and pop muffler shops are the best "to go" places for any exhaust installation. I have a Gibson cat back exhaust for my '16 Charger R/T on the way. Because of some complicated money issues, I can only choose from either pep boys, midas or any other popular national name brand company. So where would you go to? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Those kids have as much experience as you do. and will charge you more thatn what a set of jack stands cost. Get under there and do it yourself where you know it will be done right. If you really feel its that much over your head, have the dealer do it. I wouldn't let any of those shops do a hack job on my car. This is my opinion man.

#3 ·
But I would think the dealer would have very little experience installing aftermarket systems and the price gouging would hurt! We all know dealers charge an arm and a leg for stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Just looking out for you buddy. I really do believe dodge takes care of customers cars and believe it or not, their rates are the same as local shops. Take a look at the young punks that couldn't cut it elsewhere working at pep boys. Even if its a few extra bucks at dodge if you cant do it, its worth the security. Just looking out because you have a very nice car

#6 ·
I've been in your shoes before. I hate the name brand shops, and yet I find myself using them from time to time. Mostly my wife's vehicle, my R/T a few times, but never my SRT.

They all seem like a scam. Meineke tried to charge me like $28 for an air filter in my wife's vehicle once, and it was $12 at AutoZone.

The reason I find myself using them is time. My wife works full time and we have a 2 year old. The guy's who do the best are a small local shop, but they take forever to do anything. An oil change is a drop off all day event. The dealer takes an hour and a half, and Meineke takes 20 minutes.

I don't think either the dealer or national chains have anybody with a clue on their payroll, but usually the dealer will guarantee their work.

If money is tight, just go to Midas or Pep Boys. Just look over it and listen for a few days to see if anything seems loose or rattling. If anything isn't right they'll fix it. Putting a cat-back on isn't rocket science, a lot of it has to do with most people not having the necessary equipment to do it themselves.

As much as I hate Meineke, I've never had anything done incorrectly.

#7 ·
I would save a little more money, then drive a lot farther to go to a decent shop. Those chain shop are there to extract as much money as possible from you while doing the least amount for you, at the same time figuring out what they can do to you in the hopes that you will come back to them.

#9 ·
Against all logic I took my Corsa exhaust I purchased for my Jeep into Midas and they installed it without issue. Results not guaranteed to be the same, different shops and different techs...

#10 ·
If money is your main concern I'd definitely go the route of doing it yourself. Cat back installation is fairly straight forward. I installed mine on my '13 so I'm not sure if theres something with the newer models that is more difficult. I would say look under there yourself before taking it somewhere just to get an idea of what your working with and whether or not you'd feel comfortable doing it. I know on mine the only problem I encountered was I needed to add a couple spacers to the crossmember so it wasn't touching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.