Charger Forums banner

Mid muffler delete = power loss? More Qs inside

17K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  JCE 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been reading up on this mod to see if I'll like it before spending $$ on the power sticks. Problem is some are claiming they lose power, and specifically low end. Can someone confirm this is not true? Perhaps dyno results?

Also, is there any drone if I leave the reso's on? I cannot find any videos of people that left the reso's on.

What will it cost me to get the mid mufflers taken off?

Lastly, any extra horses from adding power sticks?

-------------------------------------------

Update:

I removed my mid-mufflers and left the rear resonators on. No noticeable loss in power and there is next to zero drone on the highway in or out of 4cyl mode. Sounds incredibly mean now and makes the stock exhaust sound neutered. LOL Video below for anyone who is thinking about doing this mod.

#3 ·
No loss dropping the mid mufflers, no drone leaving the reso's on and I wouldn't mess with power sticks. I'm not even sure what those are. Diablo would be what you want if your looking for more power.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Good to know there is no loss in power. :)

What sort of cost would getting the mid mufflers removed at the muffler shop?

No loss dropping the mid mufflers, no drone leaving the reso's on and I wouldn't mess with power sticks. I'm not even sure what those are. Diablo would be what you want if your looking for more power.
Not doing a tuner on this one while I lease it. But if I buy it at the end of the lease I will get one.

Power sticks are also called chambered mufflers. Quite popular apparently.

#13 ·
I've been reading up on this mod to see if I'll like it before spending $$ on the power sticks. Problem is some are claiming they lose power, and specifically low end. Can someone confirm this is not true? Perhaps dyno results?

Also, is there any drone if I leave the reso's on? I cannot find any videos of people that left the reso's on.

What will it cost me to get the mid mufflers taken off?

Lastly, any extra horses from adding power sticks?
I went from mid muffler delete to powersticks. Definitely recommend you do the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I wouldn't cut out the muffler on a leased vehicle.

I put a Borla exhaust on my 2007 as I had planned on buying it at the end of the lease but changed my mind.

Dealer told me flat out I could not turn it in with any aftermarket modifications or they'd charge me to return it to stock.

I had to scramble to trade my Borla for a stock exhaust and some cash.

#23 ·
I know I'm late, but I figured I'd ask. I have a 2014 Charger R/T 5.7, I replaced the "end" mufflers with Flowmasters, and left the "mids" factory (the muffler shop owner told me that those were the resonators). I like the growl during a Cold Start, but it idles out; he informed me I can come back at a later time to delete my "mids" if I wanted it louder. My question is currently I have no drone and cabin is the quiet enough to hold a conversation. He told me if I delete the mids, make sure that's what I want; cause it's easy to take off and will cost more to add back.

To anyone that has "mids" deleted, how is the drone and is it unbearably louder inside? Was the $100 really worth the delete? And lastly have anyone experienced a slight power increase, being that air is going straight in and out now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#24 ·
The drone is little to non existent on a regular basis. If you drive around in sport mode and with a very heavy foot you'll hear some. On the highway I don't really hear it. My wife and I can have a normal volume conversation and have the radio on at the same time.

I cannot really tell about a power increase since I did this right after I bought it.

Hope that helps.

#25 ·
I know people say that they lose power due to lack of back pressure, but I just don't get that argument. The faster you get air in and faster you get it out, the better. I know you'll still need a tune to optimize the power, but I can't see a loss happening. And secondly, if you were to look down the pipe in the muffler, you can see light from the other side. It's a straight through design with holes in the pipe for the exhaust gasses to get to the sound deadening material.

#33 ·
Just cause it bends a little doesn't make it a turbo muffler. Couldn't care less anyway cause I got rid of the whole thing. And the entire stock cat-back is 2 1/4" anyway. After mkt ones are 2 1/2. Of course it'll change the sound but that's it. still heavy and restrictive.

#34 ·
Both Dynomax and Thrush call that type of muffler a "turbo" muffler, I was merely using general terminology that everyone could relate to, if however you have a better description I'd be happy to use it just let me know. :D

And yeah I couldn't belive the pea shooter size piping either! I plan to go with a Solo cat back system once I install my SRT manifolds and midpipes which is either 2.5 or 2.75 inch, can't recall off the top off my head.

#35 ·
Back pressure is a misnomer. What costs power is the scavenging pulse, and to get that right requires the correct diameter pipe and length. And, while I understand how it works I started typing the explanation incorrectly, so I will link this instead.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/exhaustbackpressure.html

#36 ·
2016 rt

Hey!

Lots of great information in here.... Just traded in my 07 Pursuit for a 16 RT... Took it to a muffler shop today and he threw some Magnaflows in with the rest of the stock system... Lets just say im pretty disappointed. Very quiet.... as in hardly more noticeable than the stock system.

1.) Safe to say that a mid muffler delete while leaving the rear resonators wont rob power or produce crazy drone?
2.) Anybody have a similar experience?

#37 ·
Hey!

Lots of great information in here.... Just traded in my 07 Pursuit for a 16 RT... Took it to a muffler shop today and he threw some Magnaflows in with the rest of the stock system... Lets just say im pretty disappointed. Very quiet.... as in hardly more noticeable than the stock system.

1.) Safe to say that a mid muffler delete while leaving the rear resonators wont rob power or produce crazy drone?
2.) Anybody have a similar experience?
UGH! So sorry you didn't ask first we would have told you.

1.) Zero drone, I know you don't know me but seriously take my word for it you will like it!

2.) Yes me! LOL! Remove the Magnaflows for straight pipe. See if the shop will give you something for your new Magnaflows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.