Charger Forums banner

245 vs. 275

36K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  seanrego68 
#1 ·
A question for those of you who have switched from 245 to 275 tires. What are the differences you have noticed?
I've had some bad experiences with tires as of late and want to hear what others have to say about their choice.

What brand of tires did you switch from/to? How do they handle in different conditions? Was there an effect on the way they felt? MPG difference?

shortfuse

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Scat Pack with stock rims. I just switched from the stock GY RSA2 245's to Michelin PSAS3+ 255's. The big difference I notice is the noise, or lack thereof. I didn't realize how noisy the GY's were until I got the Michelin's. I haven't noticed any real difference in MPG. Before the snow hit, I noticed more grip when moving from a stop. It also corners a bit better. But all that may just be because of the Pilot Sports. I had 2010 & 2013 Challenger Classic RT's prior to this car. Both came with GY tires and I switched to the stock size Pilot Sports available at the time. The AS3+'s are by far the best switch I've noticed. I thought going to the 275's might be too much for the stock rims.

#3 ·
I switched from factory Goodyear F1 245s to Michelin PSS 255s. There is a night and day difference! The PSS is better in every way and the improvement in wet traction is nothing short of amazing. I get an extra half inch diameter and scrape at the bottom of my driveway less often. In the winter I run Blizzaks.

It is my understanding that 275s will work on the stock SP rims. The PSS is not available in 275 size that would work with my SP otherwise I may have tried it. If you want to go with 275s the Continental Extreme Contact DW would be a good choice, or the DWS 06 if you want to run all seasons.

GTO_04

#4 ·
Stop it. You guys are making want to switch again after convincing me to wear out my stock GY rsa-2 first. LOL

Reactions: GTO_04
#5 ·
Switched from the factory F1s, to DWS 06 and Kumho PS91. The 275 provide more cornering grip. On certain roads it doesn't track as nicely. No change in MPG.

275 DWS 06 in the snow and ice, worked very well.
PS91 in cold, very scary. On a road course or twisties lots of grip.

What I've noticed is that I'm only getting about 15k no matter the tire. The F1s lasted 13k, DWS 06 nearly done @ 15k.

#6 · (Edited)
You are hard on tires, just like I am! I got 14K out of my F1s, and about 18K out of the stock Pilot HX MXM4 on my 2012 R/T. And I had the same short tire tread life with my G8 GT, never more than 17-18K.

GTO_04

#9 ·
You really want to make sure the wheels are wide enough if you want 275s. I don't recommend going with the minimum width for tires like that. They are going to bow up enough at highway speeds without being pinched by narrow wheels, and over time all that flexing will weaken the sidewalls to the point that you'll see a skunk in the road at night, crank the wheel to miss it then crank it right back, and the car's direction of travel won't be affected.

I'm running Continental PureContacts in a 235/55R18, and they work well. I don't race the car, but I do drive aggressively. All my vehicles have Continentals these days. Don't know if the car will spin them or not, as I don't do that. They did great in our recent snow though, and when the roads are clear I normally like to run 80-90MPH and I don't slow down for corners. These tires stick well and handle great.

#11 ·
235s on an R/T? I saw a Dodge Dart yesterday with 235s. They look way too skinny.

#13 ·
My stock Firestones on the 2011 Rt were done at 19k. Then I went to Cooper RS3-A and when I traded it in at 35k they were close to being done. I did here that the GY RSA-2 on my SP do last a bit longer but get really loud and hard.

#14 ·
235s look fine on the car. It's the stock size on the 18 inch wheels, and they suit my driving needs very well. I don't flog this car as 99 percent of the time, the wife is in the car with me and she can't handle hard driving.

#15 ·
Thread Resurrection.

So I was doing some research on tires again and found something out that really surprised me. I was looking at the stock 245/45/20 GY RS-A2 on my SP at tire rack. I noticed that the tread width or (contact patch according to Tire Racks definition) is 9.1". I then looked up several wider 275/40/20 tires and most of them only reported a tread width between 9-9.5" See where Im going here. So I called tire rack and asked the simple question why is this so. The answer was that the GY RS-A2s tires are very flat across the surface creating a wide contact patch vs many other tires. Hum really???

#19 ·
That is interesting! In spite of the relatively wide tread though, the traction isn't so great. Tread compound has a lot to do with it too and that is where Michelin excels along with Continental.

I know that there is not a lot of love on the forums for Firestone lol, but their new Firehawk Indy 500 summer tire did very well in the recent Tire Rack Test. It is getting much better reviews than the awful Firehawk GT A/S. The Indy 500 is available in 275/40R20 at a reasonable price too.

When I ordered my SP in 2015, the F1 summers were only a $145 option. Now they are $395 IIRC. Not worth it IMHO. Next time I would stay with the stock RSA2 and just replace those when they wear out, which shouldn't take long lolol.

GTO_04

#17 ·
Agree on the Michelin's and also Conti's for that matter.

#21 ·
I wouldn't overlook these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+PS91

The 260 compound is geared towards excellent grip and the tire has very good reviews and a fantastic price point. What I'll likely switch to this summer.

This would be my second choice:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...275/&ratio=40&diameter=20&partnum=74WR0FHI5XL

Compound isn't as soft, but it's a good price point and also regarded as one of the best in the segment (as already mentioned).

Reactions: Playhard
#25 ·
Those are both good choices. I wouldn't mind the short tread life given the good price points. While I am very happy with my PSS, if the tread life turns out to be shorter than expected (25K miles) then I may try less expensive options next time around.

GTO_04

#22 ·
To answer the asked question without making a tire recommendation, it has to do with how the tire is made. Or more particularly, how rounded the tread is vs the sidewall. Some tires have a more rounded appearance, others have a more square appearance, when looked at from the tread side. This is why two tires of the same size will have different tread width measurements. The wider the tread as opposed to the size, the more square the tire will appear. This is good for straightline driving, but a smaller tread width will be a bit better for the twisties as the tire will be a bit more rounded. Me, I like a middle of the pack treadwidth vs size, because I like tires that do it all. I'm willing to give up performance at the edge for better performance all around.

#23 ·
Having said all that, GOODYEAR TIRES SUCK! THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN GOODYEAR IS FIRESTONE! GOODYEAR AND FIRESTONE, A RACE FOR THE BOTTOM!

And when Goodyear and Firestone reach the bottom, there's General tires, waiting on them to catch up.

#43 · (Edited)
And when Goodyear and Firestone reach the bottom, there's General tires, waiting on them to catch up.
Couldn't agree more, I had a set of General's uhp tire in 255/45/20 (I don't recall the model) and one day, ran over something that I never saw and the damn thing exploded. Sidewall was perforated along with the tread strip. Plus cracked the wheel. Btw, whoevers still riding on the factory chrome clad 20's: you better baby the hell of them. Easily damaged and overpriced

#24 ·
Can't remember the last Goodyear I bought but I like Bridgestone and Firestone (combined company now). My next tires when I wear out these Pirellis will be the Firestone Indy 500 in 275/40-20.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Good choice. I have these in the same size and they grip very well. Wheel spin is greatly reduced from a 3000 RPM pedal mash in first and there's no spin at all on the 1-2 or subsequent shifts.

Reactions: Slidd
#27 ·
I went from stock 245's on 9" rims to 275's on 9.5" rims (also, offset is different from stock 9' to stock 9.5's)
Difference? Looks better. As for grip, I find the 275's are a bit more touchy in cornering maneuvers, the 245's you knew where the limits were and it was consistent.
With the 275's its twitchier, it has more grip but lets go far more abruptly. They tend to follow groves in the road more.

Now it will vary model to model as suspension heights, spring rates, shocks all play into the handling equation. So it will be a different result based on what model your starting out with.

MPG wise, about the same, but again depends on the tire compound too, a sticker tire (AKA Summer) will slightly impact your mpg.

#28 ·
What brand of 275s did you go with.

#29 ·
I plan to pretty much immediately punt the 275/40/20 Pirelli tires that come with the dynamics package on my 2017 Scat and replace them with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires. My 2015 Mustang GT came with the pzero neros and they absolutely suck. They're noisy, don't wear well, and aren't particularly grippy in the dry or wet. At about 20k miles I couldn't take it anymore and replaced them with the Contis. Night and day difference.

So if there are any masochists here who want to buy some take-off Pirellis with almost zero miles on them, hit me up in a few weeks. :)

Oh, and I went with the upgrade to 275's because I figured that the extra meat will be needed with the occasional "spirited launch" and 485hp. :) If I get around to supercharging it, I'll probably go to 315/35's in the rear. They are almost exactly the same diameter as the stockers.

Best,

#30 ·
Keep in mind that compound is more important than section width. A 275 with a 250-350 compound will grip more effectively than a 315 running at a 460-500 compound.

Running all seasons with close to 500 horsepower is always a tradeoff. It might be a good idea to consider two set of wheels and tires depending on if you run the car year round and where you live.

#44 ·
I switched from some firestone Firehawk GT run-flats to Nitto nt555's on the rear, 245 -> 275. The nittos get way better grip....until the rain hits. I will turn around and grab the jeep if it looks like rain.

I couldn't really comment on the noise or mpg, as I have a stripped interior on the car, so I could float down the highway and it'd still be loud as hell. MPG wise, I think it's about the same, but I never paid too much attention to that.

#48 ·
I just put a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 275/ 40r20 on my car, with a set of 20x9 wheels. I debated between the Indy 500 or the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 tires. End the end, I went thought the Indy 500 provided more rubber for the road and they had slightly higher reviews. I don't drive my car in the rain and will probably not drive it in below 40 degree days in the winter. So far they are awesome and feel great on the car. I didn't have any fitment issues. Much better profile with 275's.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.