Charger Forums banner

Tranny Filter Change. Then Problems

932 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  djalbin 
#1 ·
Yesterday I dropped transmission pan on my 2010 5.7 police charger due to a slight shudder at highway speeds. I made sure to catch every drop so I knew exactly how much to put back in. Changed the filter ect. But when I got it all back together I started getting a grinding noise from what sounds like the transmission. It makes the noise through all gears PNDR. It will drive and shift just fine, but the grinding or whatever it is has it parked til I can figure it out.

#2 · (Edited)
Did you replace the O-ring with the new transmission oil filter?
Checking the transmission fluid level requires knowing the fluid temperature and fluid level. You need the correct transmission Oil Dipstick. It has indicator marks every 10 mm.

To properly check the transmission fluid level ...

Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.
Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running.
With the transmission in Park, determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick. Push the Oil Dipstick into the transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level.
Using the height and the transmission temperature, refer to the "Transmission Fluid Graph" to determine if the transmission oil level is correct.

If the transmission fluid level was low in the beginning (possibly causing the shudder) then it is still low after changing the filter. Low fluid can cause grinding noises.

If you have the NAG1 (5-speed) transmission, it will take approximately 5 liters (10.6 pints) of fluid to fill it after a fluid and filter change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.