Charger Forums banner

Are SRT's exotic?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  FLEX 
#1 ·
Everytime i pull into an NYC garage the attendant closely inspects my car, not just looking for scratches I think they want to know the brand and model. Iam often asked that. Garages charge more for exotic cars, Iam wondering in SRT/hellcat is getting close?

#2 ·
I would not go so far as to say "exotic".

They are pretty rare up here in Canada due to their cost, and the price of fuel and insurance.

Most Chargers I see here are of the V6 variety. Occasionally I see an R/T and once in a Blue Moon another SRT.

But I still wouldn't call them "exotic".

#5 ·
Exotic - Originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.

Humm...

Since the SRT is primarily made in a foreign country, then I guess it might be exotic. Who knew? :D

#7 ·
when I think of an exotic vehicle, I think of (mostly) hand built $250k+ cars - or one with less than 50 made on a production line. none of which does the SRT or even the hellcat qualify.

#8 · (Edited)
According to the DuPont Automobile Registry...

"What, really, does the term “exotic” mean?

To automotive aficionados, the word has been used to describe a plethora of cars displaying any of a number of characteristics that would make it a rare or truly unique vehicle. It’s possible for a common car to become exotic, or an exotic model to become common. All it takes is a different culture, a different fan base, a few minor tweaks, or some time. “Exotic” covers a lot of ground when referring to cars, but all are essentially considered to be extraordinarily distinct, out of the ordinary, or notably different from what most people will ever see on the road.

Exotic cars have generally one or more of the following attributes:

Exclusive and Limited
Customized version of a High Performance production automobile
Require Specialized/High Maintenance"

If you follow the list, the SRT and Hellcat are definitely Exclusive and Limited (limited production numbers) and Require Specialized/High Maintenance (SRT certified technicians)...

Exotic!

#10 ·
Hey, all I know is when I open up my hood, I have a hand written number which is 3714 etched in my aluminum hood and so do you also have a number Ddaddy.....obviously a different number but still!;)

Regards,
Brian

#12 ·
Yes I do remember that thread. I wonder if the later models...07 and up had them and whether they are still doing them or not.

B.

#17 · (Edited)
Fuel typically hovers around just under $5/gallon here (about $1.3/L) and insurance on my SRT is over $1,850 per year...
ouch - fuel hasn't come down in the last 12 months or so? it's come down considerably here - about 1$/gal - to around 2.50/Gal USD (.86/L CAD) vs 1.3/L CAD (3.80/Gal USD) for premium 93 octane. and, 1850/yr seems about right - I pay 125/mo (1500/yr) vs your 150/mo. you aren't, by chance, under 25 yrs old are you? I know my insurance went down a LOT when I turned 25 - and that's an understatement :) perhaps its the same in Canada? or maybe it drops again at 40?

#18 ·
you aren't, by chance, under 25 yrs old are you?
LMAO. I am 48. I posted that I had not had an at fault accident in 25 years.

Insurance up here for males under 25 is barely affordable. My son was paying $300+ PER MONTH with a perfect driving record on a Mazda Protégé. When I was under 25 I had a 5.0 Mustang and my insurance was more than my car payment.

No one under 25 here could afford to insure a sports car or an SRT or really any decent car. We never see young people driving new/nice cars here for that reason. Blows my mind all the time when I see teens and twenty-somethings on this board with these cars because they're just not attainable up here for people that age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.