Charger Forums banner

Looking to get a dash cam

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  uski 
#1 ·
Sometime soon I am looking to get a dash cam for my Charger and I would like to have one that has some kind of motion detection or something like that for when it is parked. Also the smaller the better. Not some clunky thing that takes up the whole windshield. something that can be hidden behind the inside mirror is what I am looking for. I'm pretty open to higher prices as long as they aren't going over $600. I found one DOD LS400W Plus, not sure if this is any good or not. Sorry I searched the forum and didn't really come up with much else.

#2 ·
forgot to ask what is a G-sensor in the cameras mean?

#3 ·
You won't be disappointed with the DOD LS400W. I have an older model (LS360W) and it's awesome. Excellent low-light capabilities.

#6 ·
Ok so I took all of your advice. Haha. It was on sale for $153, still is for another 20 hrs... and 50% off shipping.

#7 ·
I'm looking to get a camera as well, but I also want a rear-facing camera. I'm not sure if there is a way to tie the stock backup camera into sort of a dashcam DVR, but that'd be awesome if it was possible...

#9 ·
Unfortunately no, well not directly. The stock backup camera get cuts off once speed reaches somewhere between 8-20 MPH. There is a data bus that controls it, it's possible to cut it which should leave the camera always ON, but then you'll loose the parking guide lines.

But if you can live with that, then yea you can then get a recorder and record the stream.

I went another route : I ordered a very cheap 720p camera with no screen (eBay 181797720304 less than $15 shipped)
I have a TaZer from zautotech.com which enables the extra input on the uConnect screen, so I'll connect the wires of that rear camera to this extra input, so I can configure it and check it's working.

For the front, I will get a VioFo A119S as soon as it's out (in a few days). It's got a IMX291 sensor which features crazy low light performance.

Don't forget to buy high-endurance microSD cards, never use regular ones (Transcend and SanDisk both make high-endurance SD cards for dashcam use) as they are not suitable to be permanently rewritten. It may work but you may also experience data loss the day you need the images...

Hope this helps

#8 ·
I have been using a G1W-H for the last two years hard wired it into my H-2 no problems except the suction cup attachment falls off the window about once a month. Been meaning to wire and a second to use as a back up rear view and traffic recorder, but never finished. Best suggestion, I can make is to be sure that inputs and other connections are compatible with any other equipment you intend to use before buying. Just speaking for myself but when I run into issues like that it often never gets finished or takes along time to complete. When I go in the garage, I'm more likely ride a motorcycle than fix stuff.

Ant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.