Charger Forums banner

New Charger...Brake Problem?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  floppygoat 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
Just bought a new (2014) Charger and I am noticing something strange with the braking. Here are the details:

Vehicle:

100th Anniversary Edition SXT.

Test Drive:

When I test drove the vehicle, the braking seemed fine, but I'm sure I wasn't necessarily paying attention to it.

First Real Drive:
After I got the vehicle home and went to drive it for the first time, the "issue" arose. When I pulled out of my parking spot I began to brake softly and the braking "fluttered". Flutter is the best way I can describe it. It was very subtle and happened only just before the vehicle came to a full stop.

Subsequent Drives:
I continue to notice this issue and figured it would stop after the brakes broke in. My wife has noticed the same issue. It seems to come and go and is more prevalent during initial braking. It is always subtle and always just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop and not throughout the full braking range.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be and is anybody else having, or has anybody else had, this issue? What was the solution?

Thanks Gents,

Tony

See less See more
#2 ·
The issue is because the car sat on the dealer's lot for a while and the rotors rusted while it sat there. As a result, they have a surface that isn't mated to the brake pads (the part behind the pads didn't rust as much) so now you get a slow speed "flutter" just as the car stops and that part of the rotor comes around to the brake pad.

What you need to do is bed the brakes to get it to all work together smoothly...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

#4 ·
Great advice on the bedding. I bet that fixes your issue. That's the one thing I like about traveling around the area for work, if I get to a remote area I can bed the brakes! Hard to do in a denser urban area.

#5 ·
The Police Upfitter Guide gave me very specific instructions on as they put it "Burnishing" the brakes. It said it was necessary with the high performance brakes, but I have heard for years that it is necessary on all brakes. I did recently read in a Law Enforcement magazine that Bendix supposedly is now manufacturing a Police Package pad that does not require burnishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.