Charger Forums banner

392 swap?

16K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever considered putting the new 392s in a first gen lx?

#3 ·
im talking like a new crate 392 out of the new srts in the first gen lx models..it is something i have been thinking about rather then pumping a bunch of money into a 5.7 why not just throw the big boy in it.

#5 ·
i know man. i got to looking you can find a crate 392 for around 7 grand... for the super charger i want will run around 7 grand...the new 392 are putting down sc 5.7 numbers out the box...so why not spend my money with one of them...both of them will both require money to install and i understand the wiring will be the main part with a swap...but it just makes sense to me

#13 ·
You can match the displacement easy enough, true, but I think the differences between the motors is a bit more than just cubic inches. One motor is designed by SRT engineers backed by hudreds of thousands, if not millions dollars in testing, the other method gets you a bunch of parts put together by someone with no testing beyond whatever lifespan the other motors they have built have experienced.

#12 ·
If you stroke it, it won't be the same engine. ;)

You can put a stock 392 in the LX chassis. Mopar sells the engine and PCM to do it.

Although, I don't know why you would do it. You can do so much more with a stroker engine from Arrington and get much more hp more out of it.

#17 ·
The 6.4 is based on the 5.7L architecture and is just a bored 5.7L. Have you looked at Arrington Performance in Martinsville VA for their 5.7L to 392 Stroker kits? They quoted me a price for the kit and intall for less than what you would pay for the crate engine. They also do the tuning for you.

#18 ·
The 6.4 is based on the 5.7L architecture and is just a bored 5.7L. Have you looked at Arrington Performance in Martinsville VA for their 5.7L to 392 Stroker kits? They quoted me a price for the kit and intall for less than what you would pay for the crate engine. They also do the tuning for you.

Sure about that? Based on is not the same as identical, and I would venture to say that while the current gen 5.7 and 6.4 are more common than the old 5.7/6.1, the differences are greater than just some displacement. but I could be wrong, I'll see what I can dig up.

#25 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.