Charger Forums banner

esp/bas disable with the turn of the key

211K views 676 replies 247 participants last post by  Sloparjay 
#1 ·
hello members

I'm new to the forum have bin reading alot of the posts mostly for info.
thought i would share this with you,not sure if its the same as the other esp mods but it seams to work for me.
My brake stands will smoke the tires threw 1st and into 2nd , have'nt tried to see if it'll go to 3rd ,tires are still to new.
Anyways all i do is turn the key to the right as if i"m starting the car but you have to do this when your indrive and moving.
Won't work if not moving,this will light up your esp/bas and little car.
It"ll stay that way untill you shut off the car, on my car anyways.
Go out and give it a try let me know.

#639 ·
08 RT with R&t and the key trick worked.

#643 ·
This works for me at 20mph after 3 or 4 seconds. It also sets the awd to rear wheel drive and then I get messages that I need to service the AWD system. Could it be that its diabling the awd? any other awd owners see this?
It is disabling the AWD system ..... the AWD is very much wheel-slip-sensor-sensitive, so if you shut off those sensors (which work for the traction-control and stability-control systems that you're disabling by doing the turn-key trick) then the AWD system gets shut down too.

It is normal for the 09+ AWD's when doing the key trick.

#645 ·
Worked on my 2009 SE+, took 3 seconds to deactivate. Nice trick, should be fun this winter... :D

#647 ·
I have a 2006 Charger Daytona R/T with a trinity programmer. I put it into the DYNO mode which disables the ESP/BAS/ABS (Diablosport recommended way to turn off the ESP). I laid about a 100 ft set of rubber (both tires). But the PCM did through a code for the tranny after the tires grabbed traction. I stopped and cleared the code and it hasn't come back yet. Has anyone had this happen to them or know why it happened ?

#648 · (Edited)
Holy mega-thread batman! Absorbed all of it and I think it would be much leaner without all the conjecture and peeps chiming in without reading... just sayin'. :)

OK, so: '07 R/T with build date of 8/06.

Good news: the "key trick" works. You have to be in motion, it does turn off electric accessories (like turn signals, on top of radio and A/C) so careful in traffic. One chime after 2-3" and the ESP/BAS lights and Mr. Squiggly come on.

Bad news: I see NO improvement/difference whatsoever in shifting or burn-out ability as compared to the dash switch. Tried in autostick and drive. Had to stand on the brake for a lame 2" burn out yesterday.

I HATE HAL's interference (no snow or deluges in LA, so nanny please back off!) and love to power slide so that's a disappointment. I could write Chevy on the pavement and the smoke would sneak inside the cabin from the wheel wells on my old Impala SS (no traction control and 15" rims = fun)...

Update: after much driving in the rain with the key trick done, it seems that the ESP is fully disabled. I can discern no intervention (thank God). The Charger just has a lot more traction than the RWD cars I'm used to. Even doing burnouts on wet pavement going uphill, the tires keep trying to hook up. I think it's part rear independent suspension, part tall gearing, and part 18" rims. So on dry pavement, you can have some fun, but it's definitely not like the old days. Much more... efficient. Oh, well.

#652 ·
My born on date is 06/05 according to the door sticker. Doesn't work for me, but the dash switch cuts me loose pretty good by itself. Still would love to feel the difference with is completely disabled instead of partly. CRAP

#653 ·
There is another way, search for esp disable or the how you do everything thread.

#662 ·
Just tried this in my 2008 Charger R/T

Holding down the ESP button for ten seconds turns the small car icon on while you're holding it, but once the 10 seconds have gone by it runs off. Once I let go and tried to press is again the light stayed off no matter what I did. Not sure what that did then because usually pushing the ESP button turns that indicator on and off (ON meaning the ESP is disabled I am assuming).

I also did the rolling key turn and yes...it worked! ESP and BAS light turned on as well as the skidding car indicator and a chime went off. These stayed on until I turned the car off and on again. Wasn't able to spin the wheels at all or break the back end loose at all. Must be the marshmallow stock tires I have on my car right now!

#664 ·
Just tried this in my 2008 Charger R/T

Holding down the ESP button for ten seconds turns the small car icon on while you're holding it, but once the 10 seconds have gone by it runs off. Once I let go and tried to press is again the light stayed off no matter what I did. Not sure what that did then because usually pushing the ESP button turns that indicator on and off (ON meaning the ESP is disabled I am assuming).

I also did the rolling key turn and yes...it worked! ESP and BAS light turned on as well as the skidding car indicator and a chime went off. These stayed on until I turned the car off and on again. Wasn't able to spin the wheels at all or break the back end loose at all. Must be the marshmallow stock tires I have on my car right now!
The press and hold only applies to SRT models, all years, police cars (206-2008, I think, but maybe 09 also), and the some of the most recent Road and
Track cars (maybe with the Track Pak?)

But in any case, your 2008, the press and hold will have no effect. Press and release will not really disable the system. What it does is relax the trigger values, so you can toss the back end out a little more than stock, or burn the tires a second or so before the system shuts you down.

#666 ·
Probably means "quit pressin my buttons" lol
I hit that button everytime I turn my car on, the turn key i havent had much free road to use on but it works on my 2007 R/T.
:)

#667 · (Edited)
I don't mean to necropost on this thread, but I've noticed something in my '06 R/T that may help the people who can't get this mod working.

Sometimes when I'm sitting idle (like at a drive-thru window) and hold my brakes down for about 5 minutes, I get the same light combination. Mr. Squiggles and BAS.

It freaked me out until I read this thread. I would always turn the car off and on again and the lights would go away, but now that I actually know what it's doing, I might try to force it to happen.

EDIT: My build date is 10/05. I just tested the key thing. It doesn't work, but holding the brakes down for a while does. Sucks that it takes so long, but at least it's a free option.

#668 ·
I don't mean to necropost on this thread, but I've noticed something in my '06 R/T that may help the people who can't get this mod working.

Sometimes when I'm sitting idle (like at a drive-thru window) and hold my brakes down for about 5 minutes, I get the same light combination. Mr. Squiggles and BAS.

It freaked me out until I read this thread. I would always turn the car off and on again and the lights would go away, but now that I actually know what it's doing, I might try to force it to happen.
I have an early 06 Daytona and have never been able to get this to work, except as you did by holding the brakes for a long period. Found out accidentally, but it takes to long to make it work. Turning the key doesn't work on the early 06s.

#671 ·
I understand what he meant now, if i hold the esp button long enough the esp will reset to no light on dash and not let me turn the squiggle on by press of button anymore.
Like it says, look man, thats all ur getting now stop pushing buttons!

#672 ·
For the ESP disable to work with the keyturn method your car needs to have a build date of April 2006 or later; before that this method doesn't work.

As far as sitting in the drive thru or at a R/R crossing, keeping your foot on the brake pedal that long simulates having a defective or stuck brake switch so the ESP system gets disabled until you cycle the ignition.

The most reliable way to get full ESP disable on a pre-April 2006 Charger is to get a noESP or do RTJunkie's version of the ESP mod (http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25225).

#673 ·
Mine was born 06/2007. BB R/T w/ R&T. Think it will work?? :D

#674 ·
Yes, it will...I had a build date a month earlier and it worked....:beer_yum:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.