Charger Forums banner

My car has had a intermitent delayed start up since I've owned it....

36K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  RLuckyL 
#1 ·
......the dealer saw it on my first visit....and replaced my fuel rail. I still have the same problem. The dealer didn't encounter it on my second visit. This happens about every 1/4 starts I have. They said their was no TSB. But, it's driving me crazy. This is a 25-30K car that looks like ass every now and then when starting up. My best description would be a weak battery, but it does start up every time, just delayed about 1-2 sec. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the cure. My warranty is running up soon and I want this fixed before it runs up. Please help. I will have video up soon, for you guys and my dealer.;)

#2 ·
So you are saying that it cranks for a while before it actually starts?

Some guy on lx had a similar problem. Only worse, the car would crank just fine but would never fire. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump.

If it has been there since day one I would doubt a bad battery.

#3 ·
My '07 started doing something like I think you are describing at about 15,000 miles. It only happens with the first startup in the morning. I turn the key and it feels like the starter didn't engage and then after a second it starts. I described what was happening to the service manager but they couldn't find anything wrong. I guess I'll have to push the car to the dealership for the next service so my first startup of the day will be in front of them!!

#5 ·
ACES IV!

Prior to using ACES IV, I had a bit of a delay as well. With ACES IV, that delay (which was also intermittent) was gone. I ran out of ACES over a tank ago, and do you know what reared its ugly head again? Yup, that delay start!

I gotta get me more ACES! :rocker:

#6 ·
......the dealer saw it on my first visit....and replaced my fuel rail. I still have the same problem. The dealer didn't encounter it on my second visit. This happens about every 1/4 starts I have. They said their was no TSB. But, it's driving me crazy. This is a 25-30K car that looks like ass every now and then when starting up. My best description would be a weak battery, but it does start up every time, just delayed about 1-2 sec. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the cure. My warranty is running up soon and I want this fixed before it runs up. Please help. I will have video up soon, for you guys and my dealer.;)
Try a different starting routine? Turn the key to full accessory on to get the fuel system primed. Wait 3-5 seconds, then crank.

#7 ·
We may need a better description of exactly is or isn't happening. If you are turning the key immediately from OFF to START, the delay could be because the PCM is performing a throttle body motor calibration. This takes about 2 seconds and the starter won't engage until that test is completed since the throttle plate is opened all the way and then closed again. Try turning the key to ON and wait until the fuel pump stops running. Then turn the key to START and see if there is a delay in starter engagement.

#8 ·
ive had the delay.....even worse...ive had the car fire, then die....a half dozen or so times....thats the only time my car gives me any problems though.....

#10 · (Edited)
toycrypt-if you have a 05/06 with a 2.7 or 3.5 there is a TSB for your problem the TSB#18-031-06.You need to give year and engine so we know what to look for.There are lots of TSBs but depends what you have.I had this happen to my wifes 08 Liberty.It started out like yours,then one day nothing happened,and it turned out to be the WCM.

#11 ·
I had a similar problem where intermittently the engine would crank for a few seconds but not start. It would take a couple attempts and then start just fine. Switching to RUN for a few seconds before going to START didn't help so my issue wasn't fuel pressure.

I replaced the camshaft position sensor (a $25 part, takes about 5 minutes) and haven't seen the problem since.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=133957

#13 ·
you could be on to something - from now on i vote that if anyone has any problem what so ever they pm mnunes - or better yet call him at home! :biggrinjester: you have any experiance potty training puppies?

--seriously - i dont know him but he probably has the most right on knowledge about our cars i have ever seen --- err, read. sometimes i wonder are you an android? thanks for all the awesome tips - i personally have learned alot.

#12 ·
take the PB&J out of your intake. and stop trying to 1/4 start it - go all the way! :banana:

sorry - on the real, when i first got my car i would hit the ignition and it would start instantly, turn key and ignition! but lately it seams to have degraded (pardon the stupid sound) rer, rer, rer, then start. -- is this what you are experiancing? i did start ACES this weekend, i will let you know if that has any effect on my issue.

#15 ·
Do you by chance have a predator installed? I just posted a similar issue last week, where my start time on a cold startup has gone from instantly to a 1+ second delay, pretty regularly.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1794174#post1794174

Before the predator there have been maybe 3 or 4 times in the years I've owned the car where it would turn over w/out starting until I stopped cranking and tried a second time. But it was so infrequent I never worried about it. Sounds like you're symptoms are closer to my Predator issue...

#16 ·
i have a similar problem in my 2.7, first start of the morning it will crank, several times, then start, but feel like its going to die out, sputters, fells like its choking, then after 3 seconds everything smooths out and is fine, or sometimes the idle will fluctuate up and down 500 rpms then smooth out after 3-4 times of the idle fluctuating..

it did it when i first got the car, hada new egr put in, new crank sensor,didnt help any,then it went away when i bumped up to 89 octane, for months, but lately has been doing it again, no codes no drivability problems nothing, just a funky/weird cold start once a day..

#24 ·
I had this also...but when i start my car i wait for 3 dings then start it...never a problem...i wait for the fuel pump to stop turning before starting. I have also had it crank and not start but if i just turn the key completely off then try again and Bam!...she starts. I have no exsplaination for it...very strange and very random...never does it the same way or place or time. good luck

#27 ·
Thanks for your info,but I only found TSB for 08/09 Charger with hard start/long crank time,plus one that drains the battery if you had Mygig.After reading your posts again,it sound like a weak battery.See if you can get your battery checked out.Wish I could help more ,Good Luck

#28 ·
i know mines is not a battery issue, as it has plenty of cranking power, just seems like, even if i let the fuel pump prime, all dash lights to go out, it still hasnt gotten enough gas, or air who knows, to fire right up, likes its still taking a good 2-3 seconds for the car to crank before it get sgas then fires right up, and only does i the the first cold start of the morning, 06 2.7, with the latesh flash/pcm update by the dealership..

#29 ·
On my 5.7 i had what i would describe as a chug chug chug...always bothered me and i made a post about it when i first joined. I wanted to work it out before the warranty expired but it was intermittent.

Sometimes it would do it and i would let off the key turn and re-try and it would crank right over like i thought it should. This bothered the hell out of me and was worried i'd be stranded. The day i traded my RT in i was in service (before warranty was up) and they fixed it via a re-flash (supposedly) i was near certain it had to do with mechanics and not a computer re-flash. Never learned it it was the fix or not.

Lo and behold...the BEE does it too, just not as often or as extreme and has never not fired up...just every 10-15 starts it takes an extra say two seconds? and makes the chugging, churning noise like its gonna try.

Good info in this thread! hope we get it resolved

#30 ·
strangly its across all or almost all trim levels to.ive had 3 different flashes done, pcm software updates, whatever u wanna call it, still no fix...

it pisses me off i gotta turn the key every morning knowing its gonna crank and thats it for the first few seconds,even if i hold it cranking for a long time, it wont turn over untill i stop canking and just turn the key again, then it fires right up.. what gives..

ive had a new egr installed, new crank sensor, multiple flashes software updates etc...to me its mechanical, not software related..i"ll be chaging my plugs within the month, hoping it makes some sort of difference..

#32 ·
ive read on lxf.com the camshaft sensor fixed it on some of the guys 5.7L, never thought to try it as i have a 2.7..

the crank sensor was replaced due to a code coming up and cel, which was causing the car to lose power while driving at any speed, streets, highway, the car would be on, but rpms and mph gauges would drop to 0 and no respose from the throttle, like the car went idle at 55 mph, lol

it did this for 3 days before the cel came on, called my buddy at the dealer, gave him the code, said bring it in its the crank sensor, swapped it, and was on my way..but all through out these parts being replaced and flashes, updates etc, it did hte cold start thing, but was more intermittant, as of the past month or so its been every morning when i start it..

same with my egr valve, it sputtered and hesitated at 1500 - 2000 rpm for months before it gave me the cel and code for egr valve..dealership felt hte sputtering and what not on several occasions, but couldnt figure out what caused it untill the cel for egr came up..

thanks for your help and reply mnunes...

#33 ·
My car does the same thing :x bringing it in soon

#34 ·
My 06 RT does this as well every now and then. I have never let it crank until it starts tho. If it doesnt just fire right up, I let off, and then turn the key again and it fires right up after that. It is really rare, has done it to me maybe 3 times in 7k. I bought the car with 7k miles on it, and it now has around 15k.

I am not overly concerned about it I would have to say. Has some embaresment potential I suppose.

#35 ·
I've noticed something like that as well.
Sometimes I have to turn the key twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.