Charger Forums banner

Jumping the Shark to Mopar

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  R/T MUSCLE 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm in serious talks right now with the dealer for a '13 Charger R/T. High mileage executive driven. 71k, Red, moonroof, nav/backup.

This would be my first Mopar. I've owned only Pontiacs. First car was '95 Grand Prix, '08 G6, '08 Grand Prix GXP, and G8 GXP. I started a business 2 years ago, so sold had to sell the G8 GXP which I regret every single day.

So, here I am about to trade in the Grand Prix GXP for the R/T. It's going to come out to about $9500 (inc. all tax/fees) more which I think is a pretty good deal. I mean, i babied my cars. This R/T shows the mileage on the exterior such as the front bumper damage. But, the interior is perfect.

I needed something with at least a powertrain warranty. The GXP didn't have the best tranny, so it was time to trade 'er in after 5 years.

Any known issues/annoyances with the R/T? The powertrain seems pretty solid. Not sure about the electronics and such.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Had a 09 G8 GT. Traded it for my 2011 RT max. Have never looked back. G8 did handle a bit better and had decent seats but other then that I love everything about my Charger.

Of course your coming from a GXP with the 6.2l to a 5.7l so less hp. The 5.7 is a solid engine if taken care of. You will have the usual maintenance stuff on a Dodge and some little quirks here and there. Like I had to replace rotors at 27k. But on my g8 I had to replace Strut mounts and tie rods at 15k.

One thing I can say about the Charger RT is its big and heavy. The ride is excellent especially on the highway. Excellent cruiser and has a very quiet cab. Its just a very comfortable car with a nice punch under the hood. Fun to drive.

Of course with any used vehicle you never know what your gonna get. Some are good some aren't. Take it to a independent mechanic if you wish for a once over. Never hurts and it's not to expensive.

#5 · (Edited)
Same here. Once GM nuked Pontiac, I switched to Mopar and never looked back. GM has nothing to offer in reasonably priced RWD V8 powered sedans. I liked the G8 GT, it was a great car, but I like the Chargers better, especially my new 2015 SP. I still have my 2006 GTO and while it is a great car, the SP makes it seem a little slow lol.

The remote start works A LOT better in the Charger than it does the G8! With the G8 the remote start only worked within about 50 ft. The Chargers have a lot better stereo too, even the stock Alpine system. The G8 and GTO stereos are truly horrible! I do like that 6.0L V8 (LS2 in the GTO) though. The Hemi compares very favorably to it. 0-60 times for the 5.7 Hemi and the 6.0L in the G8 GT are similar around 5.2 seconds.

GTO_04

#7 · (Edited)
Great car. Be prepared to change alot of bushings in front end and convert to poly or solid bushings. It's a very good car, so don't get me wrong. But, when driven even a little hard, the front end bushings gave out. If you hear a clunking when coming to a stop, it is the tension strut rod bushings. Replace with poly or get new ones for 2015 Police Package; they are solid bushing rods. Also, the sway bar bushings gave out early. Also, engine mounts. I know this because every single one of our police cars needed these bushings replaced. The engine mount issue was corrected sometime around 2011, but I'm not sure exactly what production year. Also, not a big deal and available in poly. So just be prepared for that, but otherwise fantastic engine, acceleration and handling for such a heavy car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.