Charger Forums banner

8-Speed Transmission Issues

119K views 195 replies 57 participants last post by  Badboy2016Charger 
#1 ·
When I first got my 2014 SXT, I noticed within a week or so the issues the transmission has. I did some research and didn't see much discussion on it, but the issues mentioned were the same as mine and it appeared to be common to just about every Charger, at least with the 8-speed transmission, so I just put it off.

These issues included mild-moderate jerking when coming to a stop as the tranny downshifts into 1st, and generally rough shifting.

But it has gotten worse. The downshift thing happens more often and is much harder. It also shifts (up AND down) extremely roughly when i'm accelerating a little harder.

I've also noticed a few isolated cases of hesitation on acceleration and random downshifts with moderate acceleration that cause the car to rocket forward unexpectedly, but those things alone I wouldn't worry about since they've only happened a few times and could just be in my head.

Honestly, I almost don't even like driving the car any more. It makes my passengers uncomfortable and can even be nauseating, especially to backseat passengers. The piece of junk that I replaced with this car, my first car, never did anything like this.

Exactly how common are these problems? Should I contact the dealer?

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to the dealer. Tell them what's happening. They'll probably take it for a test drive...if they can't duplicate what you're describing they'll tell you to go home.

Hopefully they can get something figured out for you! Let us know what happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
go to the dealer. Tell them what's happening. They'll probably take it for a test drive...if they can't duplicate what you're describing they'll tell you to go home.

Hopefully they can get something figured out for you! Let us know what happens.

sent from autoguide.com app
x2!

#4 · (Edited)
Mine does the "bump" thing when coming to a stop also. Actually feels like someone is bumping you from behind when almost at a complete stop. But this goes away after a few miles of driving. Almost as if the transmission has to warm up before this symptom goes away. I've had the car for 15 months and it never used to do this until a month or so ago. Just turned 10,000 miles on the car. It also feels like it is "slipping" when shifting from first to second when cold. The revs go up a bit between shift points. But this also goes away within a few miles. I thought it was just an issue last winter when it first started and would quit doing it when the weather got warmer, but it hasn't. But in both of these cases, it does go away when the tranny warms up.

#5 ·
Didn't think of that. It's definitely more extreme when cold but is still felt even after driving 25 miles on the highway. I have an appointment 8/14 to get it looked at, hopefully they'll find something they can fix or change. I'll let you know of the outcome so you can find out if there's something you can do about it.

#7 ·
I also have that problem with my 2014 SXT (Rallye Package) with the 8-speed transmission. It was doing great, until right after it hit 10,000 miles a few weeks ago. I got the car new at the end of March (I have a 60-mile round trip every day to work). It is really starting to aggravate me. I may have my husband call the dealer to tell them what is going on because I can tell you from experience that most mechanics think women know nothing about cars. I know how mine is supposed to feel, and it doesn't feel that way.

#8 ·
Mine does the "bump" thing when coming to a stop also. Actually feels like someone is bumping you from behind when almost at a complete stop. But this goes away after a few miles of driving. Almost as if the transmission has to warm up before this symptom goes away.
Hmmm...interesting.
I notice these "bumps", exactly like you said, only anon the first two complete stops from home. First time this even caused to me to look at the car that behind me...then I got used to it. I have 30.000km now and as remember, these bumping always was.
I just thought, that this is "Charger" behavior. But it annoying.

And tranny just "sleeps" at 1500-1800 RPM and then car rockets forward - just need to be aware of this.

Now I more confident to go to 5spd with the new 2014 R/T...looks like it doesn't have these issues.

#11 ·
8 speed transmission shift quality seems to vary vehicle to vehicle. At my work we haven't had allot of complaints about 8 speed shift quality, but those who have do have a legitimate concern. There is a TSB with a lengthy drive learn procedure that involves driving the vehicle a specific way to relearn the shift strategies. I have found it improves the shift feel, though can take up to 2 hours of driving to complete the procedure, so I wouldn't recommend waiting for the vehicle at the dealer. Also don't leave the car with an empty or near empty tank of gas. TSB 21-012-14 Rev. A

#12 ·
Took it to the dealership yesterday. He said he found a hidden error code and applied a software update that fixed hard shifts. It took about 4 hours for me to pick up the car and there was no charge obviously.

After doing some driving, I realized that it was definitely improved, especially in general shifting between gears. However, the "bump" from 2nd to 1st was only improved slightly. The downshift was delayed, which helps if I get on the brake harder later into me slowing down. Also, the strange "slipping" feeling shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd when the tranny is cold was only improved slightly if at all.

Regardless, I suggest if you're having these problems, take it in for the update to see if it gets better. I'm afraid that from there, there probably isn't much you can do.

#13 ·
Thank you for the update. I kinda figured as much. Very seldom are issues like this really resolved. And very seldom if ever have the service managers ever "heard" of any of our problems. It's as if anytime one of us goes in to have an issue taken care of, it's the first time that they've ever heard of the problem, whatever it may be. Covering the company's butt I imagine so that there's not enough recorded complaints for recalls.
Whenever I come to a stop now when the car is cold, I put the car into neutral about 50 feet before I come to a halt and there is no "bump" whatsoever. it is smooth as silk. Don't know if I will even waste my time going to the dealership about it. I don't have any hard shift problems at all, and knowing my luck, if I take it in, it will develop it or some other gremlin that I never had before.

#14 ·
I am reading your issues and I am experiencing the same thing with my 2014 charger 8 speed. When coming to a stop the car has almost a jerk or a couple of quick jerks forward.. definetly feels like a trani shifting issue. I'm so pissed. Any one make any progress in figuring out what it is?

#15 ·
I had many of these issues with my 2013 SXT+ AWD (downshift bump, shift stumbles, etc) and they replaced the valve body. Afterword, the downshift bump was significantly better but the transmission shifting/stumbling became significantly worse. The dealer noticed discoloration of the trans fluid and "debris" in the fluid so they replaced the transmission on the second visit with 13K miles (and after numerous consultations with Chrysler). The dealer handled things well and the car shifts great now...

#17 ·
Does anyone think this has to do with the "learning" process or is more common on short versus long distance driving? It does seem to be spotty and I have watched out for it on mine but haven't gotten it yet. I am hitting 50K soon and will probably do a service anyway as it seems that is a good idea by then. Most of my time is highway driving so I wonder if it is just me getting lucky.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Mine too has done the "bump" thing a few times, but not all the time. I only have 2500 miles on a 2014 AWD SXT. My biggest problem with this car is the stupid shifter, especially going from Drive to Park. Glad I have the camera because I see its still actually in Reverse vs Park. Almost ran the Mrs. over once and now I am extremely cognizant of this issue.

#21 ·
Hey guys, may have found some pretty interesting stuff with this bumping/jerking issue. I brought my car in, and Dodge did do a "cpu flash" and some other kind of computer update. It did make shifting a bit crisper, but noticed my "jerk forward" was still happening when coming to a stop. SO TRY THIS.. I was playing with the settings on my EVIC (screen in dashboard) and there is a setting in the Settings Menu of some kind of safety feature. I went to the "Hill start safety assist" and turned it to OFF. I read that factory settings with this feature is set to On. I've only driven about 2 miles so far, and it seems to have eliminated that bucking feeling.. We'll see for sure tomorrow. But reading about it says with the feature "on", the scensors for brakes, gas/acceleration, differential, transmission and so on can be activated depending on road conditions. Therefore the computer is telling the cars components to function, even if you are not. So let me know if yours is set to ON or OFF... Thanks!

#23 ·
I have a 2014 SE model with a 3.6 motor. The weird thing is, I never saw that setting on my car when I was first going through them.. I did read that your car has to be running, if it's just turned on the "ACC" it does not show EVERY setting on the EVIC. (Sounds weird, but these Dodge computer systems are crazy). However, I saw this "Hill start assist" option AFTER Dodge did my PCM and TCM software updates. I very well could have just missed it from the beginning, but I'm really not sure.. I also don't know if it's some kind of "extra feature" or if it comes standard on every Charger..

#26 ·
Well, that didn't work for me. Turned it off and still get the bu-bump at each stop when the tranny hasn't totally warmed up. But as I stated before, it pretty much goes away after 20 minutes or so of driving.

#27 ·
Damn, that sucks.. When I turned it OFF, it eliminated about 90% of the "bu-bump". Hah, I know exactly what your talking about.. This was also same time as my computers software updates that Dodge did. I'm way happier driving my charger now, than before. Have you had it in to check for any updates?

#32 ·
Don't always take what the dealer tells you.. they love to sugar coat things and turn you away.. The first dealer I brought mine to, totally turned me away saying "your car is fine." The next day, went to another Dodge, and right away the Service Advisor said "Oh yea, there definitely is an issue." It's sad that some people have jobs and suck at them.. WE reap the reprocussion of stupidity unfortunately. But good luck, hopefully soon we all get a definitive answer. Thanks for everyones input!

#29 ·
No, haven't had it in to check for any updates. May just have to do this. Another way to totally eliminate the bu-bump is put it into neutral a few seconds before you come to a total stop. The stop is smooth as silk then. But certainly not an answer to the problem. I will call the dealer this week. Funny thing is though, that it never did this during the first year that I owned it.

#34 ·
Stopped by the dealer today after work and explained the issue. Service guy said there was an update flash for the tranny but it pertained to harsh shifting at operating temperature. So that's the opposite of what I am experiencing. I think I will make an appt. to take it in anyway. Can't hurt, can it? My luck it will make matters worse and I will develop the harsh shifting too. lol

#35 ·
Im having the same issues. Im actually extremely pissed at the piss poor service Ive been recieving. My car slams into gears and bumps when the car is almost at a complete stop. I dont brake hard. I dont stomp on the gas.

I thought it was low tranny fluid...but theres no way I can see to check the level or fill it.

Im sitting on 4,200 miles. Between this and the Battery Saver Mode Im tempted to leave it unlocked with the key fob inside at the Mall in stockton.

#36 ·
I had this issue with my 2012 8-speed I bought brand new, which lasted for a while. I felt it the first week I owned it. I even posted a couple other topics here about this. I have been to three dodge service centers several times and they always have some long drawn out explanation that I don't understand (that differs from the last one) of why it's supposed to be like this or how they tested it and found no problems. Long story short, in my case the jerking eventually went away on its own, it took almost 2 years but it's been gone now for about a year. It used to drive me crazy. I even found myself adjusting the way I drove to try and prevent it. The hesitation started after they reset my PCM a couple years ago. It's was real bad, now it just happens from time to time. I think it has something to do with stupid adaptive learning. I've been debating on wether to reset it but haven't done it yet.

Anyways, that's my experience. It is definitely annoying to have to deal with this. I definitely think there is an issue with the 8-speed trans. Too many complaints about the same thing. I am shocked the techs never felt the bump when I took it in. I have a feeling no one is really test driving it. They just hooked it up to a machine and ran the test.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.