Charger Forums banner

Eastwood port and polish kit

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  KREWZER 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the eastwood port and polish kit to polish the cylinder head?

#2 · (Edited)
Not a whole lot of people around here like to do their own work. And like to tell anyone who does that they're wasting their time and to spend $2k+ sending heads off to have someone else do them. I'm actually working on a set of heads myself right now. Haven't decided if I'm going to buy a kit or just individual pieces. Look for OMGITSMRMACK on YouTube. He's got a couple videos working on Hemi heads.

#3 · (Edited)
Although i do my own work, i would have to disagree about doing your own heads, unless you really know what your doing. just grabbing a kit from eastwood and start shaving is going to get you better performance.

there is a lot of measurement and calculations on late model heads on any car directly from the factory, unlike the old days when you could just start tearing out metal and things would get better. its not like that today. flow charts are already close to perfect, and difficult to make even better.

Thats why it cost 2k + to get your Hemi Heads re-worked. just because your mechnically inclined and understand a pushrod v8 works, doesnt mean you can do perform this job to benefit your car.

the knowledge that is behind it must be studied individually, its not just something you know. for example. on the 6.1 hemis. if you look the ports on the intake manifold, you'll notice the aluminum is coarse on the inside. i have seen countless people shave these and port them which will end up opening up air flow by a small margin, but then also smoothing the aluminum. the aluminum is coarse to tumble the air. when you smooth it out, it simply channels the air, and basically just turns into a Chitty vacuum, rather than an intake manifold.

That is just one small fact that the average person doesnt know. and is the point im trying to prove

#5 ·
I will build my own motor, swap stall convertors, replace gears and whatever I can in my driveway

Now heads, well if they were old school 360 heads sure I would touch them up. Now the new aluminum heads I don't bother with because they flow so well and really have little in the way of casting flaws. New heads I leave it to the pros

#6 ·
If anyone would show me someone who's tried and failed. That'd be nice. But I can't find anything. All I ever see is people saying "they're good enough". I guess what little I know about engines. Smooth is better. Not necessarily bigger though.

#8 ·
I'm doing this as a project as well. Picked up a set for stock heads for extremely cheap. I'm going to take my time with this. I'm not expecting huge gains from just smoothing the ports. But I'm sure there is something to be gained from it.

#9 ·
absolutely, there will be gains, until you slip. or one port is more shaved then the other port, the smallest mistake can cause a big problem. atleast on newer heads, alot of the power from built heads comes from responding mods. like a cam and pushrods, valves and springs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.