Charger Forums banner

How does your charger do on snow and ice?

82K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  Szokdogg 
#1 ·
Had to take the charger out today to do my errands,I have only taken it out when the roads are dry, and she has never seen dirt roads, except leaveing my driveway.Today i have to go pick up a friend,he lives on a dirt road, down a small hill, and the road is all packed snow and ice.I get down ok but have a B of a time getting back out. Im only running stock tires, and am use to driveing my trucks in the winter, so maybe im expecting to much,but i hear you guys who use them as daily drivers , even up north. How are you all makeing out? Even with studded snows, i dont think id want to go out driveing in a snow storm. GMG#1198---P.S I do love my wifes daytona ram in the snow.I will say, it was 10 below this morning,and the silverado, my winter beater, would not start but the charger did ,and those heated seats are to die for.What are you all running for winter treads?

#2 ·
I won't even try to drive my car in the snow. It wouldn't make it. My last car 01 Jag XJ8L handled better in the snow than the charger. It's not meant for these conditions. I use my silver nissan armada for the bad dayz.

#3 ·
well here in California it wouldnt matter, first sign of snow,you got to wear chain. Being that I live in LA, the coldest it gets here is 48

#4 ·
I consider myself a better than average snow driver, and the first couple of times I took the General out in snow, I was SCARED! Those Contis are just not up to the task.

I'm gotten accustomed to it, but if I lived in a more rural area, I'd need a "winter car."

#6 ·
I try really really hard only to take it out when the roads are dry. Unfortunately I did get caught once in a mild snow flurry and it wasn't pretty.

My driveway has a slight incline to it and I couldn't even get the car up the driveway without taking a run at it. The traction control really really sux when it comes to snow and ice.

#7 ·
I live on the Wisconsin border in Illinois and the first time I took mine out in the snow with the factory tires and it was awful. Put Bridgestone Blizzacks and what difference! Highly recommend these tires for winter driving.

#8 ·
bearmandog said:
I live on the Wisconsin border in Illinois and the first time I took mine out in the snow with the factory tires and it was awful. Put Bridgestone Blizzacks and what difference! Highly recommend these tires for winter driving.
Exactly

It is all about the tires. The Charger is not a bad car for the snow, most of the factory tires are bad for the snow. It has pretty close to neutral weight distribution and a good traction control system.

Put some Blizzaks or Scorpions on and it will be very good.

#9 ·
I'm used to driving 2wheel drive pickups with manuals and automatics in winter, I was expecting a similar experience with the charger as I had with the trucks. the esp is good when your at speed and cruising in the snow but I couldent stand taking off from a stop light with it on.

#10 ·
i live in pittsburgh and am a daily driver and ive been caught in a snow storm three times, and i have to say i was really impressed in how she handled. i also have the stock tires on, and i was seriously impressed. you have to be extremely careful (your driving AND playing defense of other stupid drivers) and try your best to keep a constant speed. thi live in a VERY 'hilly' area too and the charger was awesome in it. the ESP kicked in a few times and worked better an i hoped. i had a few complete stop n go's and she worked awesome. you just have to touch the gas pedal...

#11 ·
steelcitydaytona said:
i live in pittsburgh and am a daily driver and ive been caught in a snow storm three times, and i have to say i was really impressed in how she handled. i also have the stock tires on, and i was seriously impressed. you have to be extremely careful (your driving AND playing defense of other stupid drivers) and try your best to keep a constant speed. thi live in a VERY 'hilly' area too and the charger was awesome in it. the ESP kicked in a few times and worked better an i hoped. i had a few complete stop n go's and she worked awesome. you just have to touch the gas pedal...
What are you running for tires??

#13 ·
It's funny to hear you southern folk talk about snow and ice conditions. It's all what you are used to. This car handles better than any rear wheel drive car I have ever driven. At speed the ESP is fantastic on black ice. I don't accelerate hard in icy conditions. If you drive for the conditions it handles well. The ABS breaks are the best I have ever driven. I'm running stock 3 season radials as this winter has been the mildest in the past 100+ years. Next year I will buy some ice radials and I will be well protected. Unless of course this warming trend continues!!

#14 ·
I'm used to the ice and snow, I'm running the conti's, and it sux sux sux. Traction control is useless because it alternates between each wheel in short sharp bursts as opposed to a continuous steady push, all the rear end does is fish. Like I said before, I couldn't even make it up my driveway without taking a run at it. I have it sitting in the garage right now and that's where she's gonna stay till the big storm working it's way up the East cost passes over.

#15 ·
Interesting this should come up today. I just got home from Ft. Wayne, and when we left they had about 2 inches on the roads and it was snowing to beat hell. I've only had the car for two weeks, so I was a little nervous. So I turned the Sirius to Raw Dog Comedy to calm my nerves, and just kept her slow and steady. I fishtailed slightly once or twice, but never felt like I was going to "lose it" going around corners. I was fairly impressed. I'm still running the stock Michelin's on it.

#16 ·
Since it's been really warm here in NJ, I've only driven my Daytona in the snow two or three times. The last time I drove it in the snow was through 8" of unplowed snow and I had no problem with the cars handling or performance. The car didn't slide or slip. The wheel's didn't spin when taking off at a traffic light or stop sign. I just drove in autostick and started out in 2nd gear. I had to laugh because I was at a traffic light that had a slight incline and a 4x4 Toyota pickup infront of me. I gave myself plenty of room infront incase he slid backwards. His wheels spun, I gave my car gas and drove around him without any problems. I have the factory tires on, no snows or tire chains. I'm not saying I'm the greatest driver in the world but some people don't know how to drive in the snow.

#19 ·
Other than December it's been a real mild winter here in Indiana. Though, a few days after I got the Daytona we had a pretty good freezing rain here. The ESP did a real good job in not letting me slip and slide while accelerating; I was pretty impressed... it was almost too good though, acceleration was pretty slow from a stop. The Daytona handles significantly better than my old Intrepid that I had at this time last year...

I'd recommend for snow driving in any rear-wheel drive vehicle to throw some weight in the back. I just toss a couple of extra bags of water softener salt in the trunk and leave them there while the weather is bad.

#21 ·
Charger-Steve said:
I'd recommend for snow driving in any rear-wheel drive vehicle to throw some weight in the back. I just toss a couple of extra bags of water softener salt in the trunk and leave them there while the weather is bad.
AAAARRRRRGGGG!
DON'T DO IT. Use tube sand, not salt...
Any moisture in your trunk
+ "storing" bags of salt
= Rotted out rear quarters
Maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, but someday WAY to soon

#22 ·
Interesting. I cant believe you all who say you have no problems driveing on ice and snow with stock tires.maybe when your up to speed on the highway but come on...I have lived in maine all my life, driven many makes and models in my 43 years,and have come to the conclusion that even with snow tires, my charger WILL be stored ,not driven, on snowy days.There is also the added problem of the dreaded road salt. For where theres ice there is salt, and i can hear it eating into my car Question? For you all who drive year round,is the charger your only means of transportation?

#23 ·
Sounds to me like the Conti's are the problem, here. I have an R/T R&T with the Michelins, and while it's no snowmobile, it certainly isn't horrible.

When taking off from a stop, turn off the traction control and very gently finesse the accelerator. This is not the time for using its muscularity... after you get going turn it back on.

#24 ·
HemiChemi said:
Sounds to me like the Conti's are the problem, here. I have an R/T R&T with the Michelins, and while it's no snowmobile, it certainly isn't horrible.

When taking off from a stop, turn off the traction control and very gently finesse the accelerator. This is not the time for using its muscularity... after you get going turn it back on.
Hey bro got the same tires as you,and i have found the traction control switch,I had figured out it goes on and off by myself.Like i said maybe its me being used to driveing 4wd and storeing the sports cars in the winter.Ive put studded snows on my wifes 04 liberty, now that goesssss.

#25 · (Edited)
mr wzrd said:
Interesting. I cant believe you all who say you have no problems driveing on ice and snow with stock tires.maybe when your up to speed on the highway but come on...I have lived in maine all my life, driven many makes and models in my 43 years,and have come to the conclusion that even with snow tires, my charger WILL be stored ,not driven, on snowy days.There is also the added problem of the dreaded road salt. For where theres ice there is salt, and i can hear it eating into my car Question? For you all who drive year round,is the charger your only means of transportation?
In my experience, driving on snow and ice is more about technique and less about your equipment. I learned to handle a vehicle on snow and ice in my fathers Ford F150 2-wheel-drive pickup. When he taught me, we didn't even put any weight in the back of the truck. Compared to that, this Charger is on rails in the snow :)

I would hesitate to even blame the Conti's on handling. My folks drive a 2006 300C with stock Conti's and drive that all year round also. Never had a problem with it.

To answer your question...yes, the Charger is my only vehicle. In the winter, I make very liberal use of Car Washes that feature Underbody Washings. I've only ever owned one car at a time in my whole life, and have never yet had a car rust out on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.