Charger Forums banner

What's wrong? why can't I seem to love my Charger?

3K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Mangoman 
#1 ·
I traded my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT in on my 2016 Charger R/T, both fully loaded, both real nice cars, if I'm honest the Charger IS nicer. Better ride, nicer interior, better gas mileage, better performance numbers stock vs.stock. But why can't I seem to love my Charger? I KNOW it's nicer, quieter, faster, more options etc etc etc but I don't get out of it, walk halfway up my sidewalk and turn around and smile like I did with my G8. My brain KNOW this car is better but I can't seem to convince my heart.

Any ideas cause I'm stumped. Better in every way but IDK it's like my Charger just doesn't have a soul for lack of a better word.

#3 ·
I have a simple yet great solution. You need to develop a bond which means you need to go on more adventures with him or her. Quite simply right now it's an appliance and until you have some sort of emotional quotient involved it won't be much more. And the emotion equation is achieved pretty easily by going on or having adventures with your Charger.

I'm sort of in the same boat because I loved my '14 SE but in every conceivable way other than styling my '16 R/T is superior. I just haven't had an adventure in him yet.

#6 ·
I kind of felt like this about my 2006 Charger SRT8. It took several years before I really started to have an emotional attachment to it. Also when the new models came out, I really liked my original better than the new ones. That also helped.

Give it time.

Regards,
Brian

#8 ·
That might be the problem guys. Since I bought it I've been doing this damn engineer training and haven't had time to do anything other then drive it to and from the rail yard. True I've taken a couple road trips (to Detroit, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach) and loved every minute of the drive.

I think you hit the nail on the head, I need to make the car MINE. I've done a couple little things but by the time my G8 hit 10,000 miles it had long tube headers, custom exhaust, lowered, tuned, wheels, and was running in the mid to high 12's.

God I can't WAIT till this damn training is over and I can start to love my car!

Thanks guys.

#15 ·
Be sure to take someone with you when you go on your adventures! I feel it amplifies the experience when you can share it with someone else.

I may have had a "moment" of attachment yesterday. Dropped the hammer on a Maserati Quattroporte that was revving at me and got a half length on it before shutting it down. I actually yelled out loud "man I f**king love this car". I know it was bad and I rarely oblige, but truthfully I wanted to see what my Charger had in him. I wasn't disappointed. :biggrinjester:

#9 ·
It happens. It is one if the reasons I traded my '14 R&T. I liked the car, but I loved my '07 R&T. If my '07 had never gotten hit, I'd still have been driving the wheels off her.

#11 · (Edited)
Hey Mango,

That's a tough spot to be in. There are a couple of ways to look at this and you've been offered some good thoughts and suggestions.

Speaking autobiographically, here's my take. People often see a car as a method of transportation in the clinical and functional sense, or they see it as something that's emotionally fulfilling. Most people who fall into the latter category will talk about how they "feel" when they drive their car.

As an exercise, can you please relate to us how you felt when you drove your G8 and how you feel when you drive your R/T?

The fact that something is "better in every measurable way" doesn't make it better for us as a purchase. If you're a car guy, the reaction is more visceral and deep than a bunch of performance stats.

I remember an old episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson is talking about the difference between the McLaren MP4-12C and the Ferrari 458. While the McLaren was the better car statistically, the entire panel preferred the 458 because of how they felt when driving it.

I'm looking forward to hearing your perspective on this.

Cheers,

Andy

#13 ·
#14 ·
Go get signed up for an advanced driving course at a race track/school. Then you'll really love your car when you learn what it is fully capable of with you in it! :bigthumb:

#16 ·
I traded my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT in on my 2016 Charger R/T,

Any ideas cause I'm stumped. Better in every way but IDK it's like my Charger just doesn't have a soul for lack of a better word.
Mango, Being a former G8 Gt owner I can sympathize a bit. Very unique cars and not a lot of them around. It was special that way. I really enjoyed my G8 until I bought my 2011 Charger. Like you said it is better in so many ways. A lot of people said to me at the time man I really liked your G8 why did you get a Charger. Then I would point out all the Charger offered which my G8 did not.

Maybe for you it's also a looks thing. Your G8 had a hood scoop, Euro styling and as I said unique. They still command a premium price and I haven't seen one in a while in my neck of the woods. It's kinda a cult car if you will. Not so much with our Chargers.

With that said, I absolutely love my Charger SP. Such a fun car and I get compliments all the time. Like it was mentioned above, maybe some customizing in order. Srt Hood, graphics, performance enhancements?

#18 ·
I have no idea what this means, but here's an animated gif anyway:

Reactions: Playhard
#20 ·
You have a problem and it might be easier than you think to fall in love with your Charger. Take pictures of your new ride. You need to assemble a relationship with your Charger. When you drive to a special place take out the camera and snap away. I have so many pics that I think it's almost as many of my GTO. Yes I still own the GTO and each car represents a special part of my life. Always look back at your Charger and admirer it. This is a car that all other people wished that they could own. If there was a way to personalize your Charger, do it! If its something small and different try it. It will make a big difference in how you feel about your Charger. I hope that this will help you form an identity on how you feel. Remember this, a clean car is a happy car Lol..

Big John:beerchug:

#21 ·
If there was a way to personalize your Charger, do it! If its something small and different try it. It will make a big difference in how you feel about your Charger. I hope that this will help you form an identity on how you feel. Remember this, a clean car is a happy car Lol..
Jon, you bring up a great point. Which is why I already did this... I'm a huge Borderlands fan so it was a no-brainer. I plan on adding the vault symbol and the same Torgue sticker I had on my '14. :D

Attachments

#22 ·
Hey man,(yeah I'm following you to this forum as well) again the G8 was a special car. I loved mine as well. Never owned a car as long or longer. When I replaced it with my 13 GT. I absolutely loved it, was devastated when I sold it due to family illness. I never grew tired of that car. When I finally got another sports car I bought a 15 GT. I didn't love it like my G8 or my 13 GT, and I modded a bunch of stuff on it. Now that I bought my scat pack I feel that way again. It might just be the color...

#24 ·
Mango,
I am in a similar situation. I LOVE my B5 RT, but like you the performance of the car is what speaks to me. I'm not going to be happy until I have a 392 (Challenger or Charger). That's what I wanted and should have bought to begin with. The RT's are not bad, but the 392 is where it's at. I'm going to take the loss and get what I hope will be my long time cherished ride.

#25 ·
I felt the same way when I had my black RT. I traded in 3 years later. I never loved a car much or any car for that matter. I don't know what it is about the SRT that makes us fall in love, the engine, acceleration, the looks, the road feel. They did a great job in 2015, now you can get all of this, just without the SRT badge pretty much by going for one of the other trims!

#28 ·
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. Yup it's a Go ManGo orange R/T with blacktop package and blacked out roof. Fully loaded with every option it could come with.

I've since added legal tint (just cause the car can be seen from orbit and I'm getting older and don't feel like hearing crap from the police) tinted tail light vinyls, tinted license plate covers, and R/T side graphics along with a HEMI orange underhand vinyl kit and a Volant intake.

In my garage waiting for me to have the time to install them are a set of SRT shortie headers and mids with high flow cats and a set of MOPAR lowering springs. Once the SRT parts are on its getting a stage 1 Scat Pack PCM and tazer. I plan to get new wheels once the factory tires are done, going with 20x9's all around with 275's. Last I think I'm gonna install an SRT hood.

I'm sure I'm just bummed cause all I do right now is just commute in it and once I do my mods and start running it at the track I'll fall in love.

If that doesn't do it I'll slap on a "f"ing blower and an SRT posi rear!

#36 ·
This may help. I did this with both of my previous Chargers. Even though this is something I enjoy doing, it only did do much for me and my '14. Now I have enjoyed doing this again with my SP now.

#34 ·
I'm in love with my cars almost immediately, I take pride in keeping them looking good and on the road. I even am proud of my rusted 1999 Jetta with 199,199 miles on it, simply because I'm keeping it going.

Funny thing is that the car I probably miss the most is the first one I purchased after landing a job out of college. 2008 Chevrolet Impala LT. Chick magnet. I've always liked big sedans, and back in 2010, living at home, even the measly Impala SS was too much money. Paid $13k for the Impala. Not fast, but big and roomy. Was an all around great car.

#35 ·
Reactions: RAINMANyeh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.