Charger Forums banner

2012 6.4L misfire issue?

34K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  SuperFlyShy 
#1 ·
I have a misfire on cyl number 5. I have swapped coils and plugs with cyl 3 and same issue. Misfire stays on 5. I thought only thing left was the injector, so I bought a new one. I installed it this evening, and I still have a misfire on cyl 5. What am I missing? The misfire is really bad at idle, even starts dimming dome lights. But driving it is much better. Doesn't have the power it did, but definitely a lot better than at idle. Im lost.

#2 · (Edited)
I assume the car logged DTC P0305-CYLINDER 5 MISFIRE
Did you also get any other DTC?

The standard list of possible causes for cylinder misfires includes the following:
FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
IGNITION COIL, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ECT SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS (ECT = engine coolant temp)
MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS (MAP = manifold absolute pressure)
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Unless other cylinders are reporting a misfire, or DTC P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire is logged, the causes that can affect multiple cylinders can probably be ruled out. So that reduces it down to cylinder-5 fuel delivery, ignition, or mechanical. You already tested fuel delivery and ignition, so the mechanical parts are next to check.
Perform a compression test on the left bank cylinders (1, 3, 5, 7) and see how cylinder-5 compares to the other cylinders. Compression should not be less than 100 psi and not vary more than 25 percent from cylinder to cylinder.

Reactions: senor dodge
#4 · (Edited)
P2097 - DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 1 RICH
This diagnostic fails when the Upstream O2 Sensor becomes biased from an exhaust leak, O2 Sensor contamination, or some other extreme operating condition. The Downstream O2 Sensor is considered to be protected from extreme environments by the catalyst (but don't count on it).

So you're getting O2 sensor errors and cylinder-5 misfires logged. I would check the exhaust path from cylinder-5 to both O2 sensors on that side of the engine. If there's no exhaust leaks and the O2 sensors/wires/connections checks out OK, then cylinder-5 is probably causing the downstream fuel trim problem. I would then perform the compression test to see if cylinder-5 has a mechanical problem.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new car. Unfortunate that it broke already ... but good that there's the manufacturer's new car warranty. Hopefully it's trouble-free in the future.

#11 ·
So I own a 14 charger SRT with the 6.4 was wondering if this misfire problem was ever figured out. Mine has 52k on it, out of warranty. Has p0205, have changed plugs, swapped coil packs, and injectors. Did a compression test and it had 180lbs on the rh bank cylinders. Found a restrictive cold air intake was maybe causing some vacuum issues in the intake, so replaced the intake manifold gaskets last night along with a pcv valve and installed a catch can. The car idles rough on cold startup and gets better when warm. Driving you cannot notice anything at idle above 1000rpms. Any input would be appreciated. Summers coming to a close and I would like to enjoy driving it.

#12 · (Edited)
P0205 - FUEL INJECTOR 5 CIRCUIT/OPEN
The fueling strategy for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) requires potentially three fuel pulses per cylinder per cycle. At high engine speeds, one or more of the pulses may be dropped from the fueling strategy.

Set Condition:
The PCM monitors the continuity of the injector circuits as well as the voltage spike created by the collapse of the magnetic field in the injector coil. Any condition that reduces the maximum current flow, or the magnitude of the voltage spike, can cause this DTC (P0205) to set.

You replaced a lot of parts already. Inspect the wiring/connector for fuel injector #5 . Anything in the injector control circuit that increases electrical resistance can cause this DTC; as well as the control circuit being shorted to voltage or ground. Also check the ASD (Auto Shutdown Relay). High resistance on the ASD output circuit can also cause the DTC. The ASD is located in the front fuse box.

#15 ·
I have a 2014 ram 6.4l hemi with an intermittent misfire with no check engine light and sometimes when I start it up it runs fine but most of the time it’s misfiring and it never fixes itself when I am actually driving it like hitting bumps or whatever. Any ideas on if the harmonic balancer could be the culprit??

#18 ·
Wait, our cars are suppose to fix themselves? My self fixer is broken too. SOB.

I suggest taking that profile picture and using it towards fixing it at a shop.

#20 ·
Suggest you start a new thread, not revive a 2 year old one. State any details you can. Service history, miles etc etc.

Also proper punctuation, sentencing would help your case. We have had so many people whojustkeepusingrunonsentences that get aggravating we end up being be jaded and grammer nazis.

Reactions: N8ECH
#25 ·
Hey I am trying to fix a misfire on my 2012 Dodge Charger superbee but code (P0307) keeps coming back I have changed spark plugs, ignition coils changed the one fuel injector and did a compression test as well I’m lost I also checked the oil to make sure no metal was chewed up in there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.