Charger Forums banner

Traditional or Synthetic Oil for 2006 Charger?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  moparknighthawk 
#1 ·
I'm from the Pittsburgh area and just bought a 2006 Charger SXT with the 3.5L engine. Have 700 miles on it and about ready for first oil change. I'm a newbie to synthetic oils... sooo... 1.) is synthetic oil the way to go - is it really worth it ? 2.) what's the recommended brand ? 3.) recommended oil filter for synthetic oil ?

#3 ·
yea i do synthetic also. I've seen more synthetic run motors in the 300000 then anything else and i love it. Besides i think it also tends to cut down on oil consumption in the u.s. as were doing one change every 5000 instead of two changes every 6000 .

#4 ·
I'm from the Pittsburgh area and just bought a 2006 Charger SXT with the 3.5L engine. Have 700 miles on it and about ready for first oil change. I'm a newbie to synthetic oils... sooo... 1.) is synthetic oil the way to go - is it really worth it ? 2.) what's the recommended brand ? 3.) recommended oil filter for synthetic oil ?
1) Depends on what 'worth it' means. If you mean is it the best anti-wear lubricant, then yes, it will protect the engine in the harshest of operating conditions. However, if you change every 3K miles, it is very wasteful. You could easily use a manufacturers recommended 'dino' oil and be fine. This being said - the best protection you can get would be using a fully-synth. You'll prolly get the best gas mileage using a fully-synth over a dino oil as well.

2) ANY oil that has the specification as required by the manufacturer and is of the correct weight. I use Mobil1 fully-synth, but will shortly be moving over the Valvoline - I don't think this will make a spit of difference. There's also Royal Purple and a couple of others.

3) The manufacturers oil filter will be just fine, but there are other brands that people like here. :)

#5 ·
I have been using sythetic in my 2000 Neon ES for 140,000 miles. The last engine anylisis (last year) I had done said it was like new inside the engine. I just switched my Charger to sythetic at the last oil change too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.