Charger Forums banner

Is rust an issue on cars from WI?

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cuda 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm shopping around for a charger and looking at places outside of California. I found a 2012 Charger for sale in Illinois and the add says it came from a law enforcement agency in Wisconsin.

Do I need to be concerned about rust? Does Dodge put any under coatings on the chargers that would help with this?

I'd be saving a few thousand dollars buying out of state and driving the car back, but not sure it's worth it if there will be serious rust issues.

#3 ·
Several Agencies out here put an undercoating on their car, usually Ziebart or something. if you're worried ask them to take some underbody pics. If it's a low mileage car salt won't be an issue being that it's a 2012.

#4 ·
Both cars are 2012 with right around 97k miles. One was from a county near Milwaukee and one was from Ohio. I think the Ohio was highway patrol and the WI was sheriff. Honestly, the price difference between here and there is enough that I could drive it back and if it turned out there was more rust that I'm willing to put up with, I could flip the vehicle for a profit. But then I'd be looking for another car again.

#5 ·
I checked out an Ohio State Patrol Crown Vic a few years back, no undercoating and it was pretty rusty underneath. Not eaten away or holes just a layer of rust all over. Car was just a few years old at the time with about 100,000 miles. It ran great and it was obvious was well cared for, just that rust, ugh.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I would worry more about unreported flood damage than salt. Also.... the coastal cities in FL have some salt from the ocean in the air, plus a lot of humidity, so rust is not unheard of on cars there.
I've had my Charger for 4 years now and not a speck of rust on it, and they use a TON of salt here in North Central WI. Liquid salt (brine) and regular salt.
Most cars in WI have undercoating applied to them if people are smart. But like anywhere, if people don't take care of their cars, they will get rust.

Reactions: GTO_04
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.