Charger Forums banner

Body Side moldings

33K views 96 replies 58 participants last post by  TechnoJunky 
#1 ·
Quick question,

How are these things held on, is it just double sided tape, how easy are they to come off?

#2 ·
Yep. Sticky tape. Wait until they're warmed up a bit, then pull them up. I used a small plastic scraper that my wife had from Pampered Chef to help lift them, but a credit card works too. Some have used fishing line but I've read more than one posting here where someone thought the paint was messed up afterwards.

#7 ·
That was my posting, and my paint is messed up. DO NOT USE FISHING LINE!!! Just let the car warm up in the sun and they pull right off. Then use goo gone to remove the residual glue. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

#5 ·
Fishing line worked great for me. Just pull it towards you as you work it behind the molding. And work it down the molding gently. Piece of cake. If they're warm, it makes em super easy!!
Chase

#6 ·
plastic razor blade used here. glue comes off with hands. and soap

#9 ·
He is just afraid that if too many people do it, he might start liking it. Then he will continue his downward slide into modding he!!. :lol:

I also see that you found the iHoff picture. Just saw that the other day while doing some research... umm nevermind me. :D

#13 ·
Just FYI. I was at the dealer the other day so I thought I'd ask how much they would charge to remove them. They quoted me $180.00,I said no thanks.

#73 ·
Dude,I'll do it for $40 bucks(thats only 10 a door)LOL,LOL,LOL

#14 ·
Another one

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I also did mine today and they came right off. I did my old R/T last July, when it was hotter outside. The moldings came off easier and left less gunk behind. However, if you peel them slowly and make sure the adhesive comes up with the moldings, you can easily remove them in virtually ANY kind of weather.

#18 ·
I had mine done by a local company the other day, and wow what a difference. Everyone comments on how much cleaner and classy it makes the car look! They charged me $120. I figured with my luck if i did it on my own i would have had a bad thread to post.

#19 ·
HOLY CRAP!!! $120!!!

I used a clothes steam and it took 30mins to take off both...trust me, a clothes steamer is the way to go, forget fishing wire or a hair dryer!

#21 ·
After they are warm from the sun just grab them with your fingers and pull off. No tools needed just big balls to do it, close your eyes and pull. Clean excess dirt and adhesive off with bug and tar remover and wash and wax.

#24 ·
I took BosChargers advice and I used a heat gun on a low setting and dental floss. I worked the first 12 inches with the heat gun and dental floss. Then pulled on the end and used the heat gun to heat up the a few inches ahead of the area to be pulled and they came off with none or very little residue. Looks 1000 times better I took off all the emblems as well, but left the SRT8 Badge, im thinking about pulling that off too.

#29 ·
That was kinda my thoughts as well.... but I love the look of a smooth clean car.

Anyone know how to remove the dodge emblems front and back? I was thinking about painting them gloss black.

#30 · (Edited)
I just removed the ram badge from my trunk lid today. Pulled it off with my fingers. After the left-over sticky crap was removed, waxed it up, and it looks way better imo.

I'll post up a pic later today. It was just that the R/T, Charger, and Rams head badging was just to much for a trunk lid imo.

Just a cleaner look now.

#31 ·
Im debating about pulling off the dodge ram logo on the back now. Im bored at work today so I snapped a few pics with the moldings off.

#33 ·
No thats Rugby ND but close. Rugby is like 45 min to 1 hr away.

Where in Southern Alberta are you from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.