Charger Forums banner

Chrome window thing

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JCE 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have 2 questions on these chrome window things (Dont really know what they're called)

My first question is: Should i keep them? I know its a matter of personal taste but since my car is all black should i keep the black form factor, I kinda like them because its unique but a friend of mine suggested to take them off as it doesn't match the all black look.

Secondly, if i do remove them, will they leave a mark, the kind of mark like peeling the price tag off of a box or whatever? is there a procedure to removing them, or a way to remove the residue that the adhesive has if i do just pull them out?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Granted, these are my personal opinions, not trying to be disrespectful:
1. You have a black car with black wheels and seem to have dark tint. With just the chrome pillar posts, there is no balance of color. All attention is to the posts, not the whole car.
2. I believe they will peel off if you use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to heat the adhesive. And then use an adhesive remover to get whatever is left. Check the link below for another option...

BLACK Pillar Posts

#3 ·
Thank you for the feedback, and i think your are right about having no balance of color, it does seem to attract too much attention since everything else is blacked out.

Im considering buying the item that you linked and just applying them above the current chrome ones, only to avoid any damage i might cause to try removing these chrome parts.

#4 ·
I agree wholeheartedly! Off with the chrome! I don't think you'd damage anything removing them if you take it slow and be careful. Heat gun works wonders on that stuff and Goo Gone Automotive (not the full strength stuff) works like a champ! Good luck!

Reactions: RScottyL
#5 ·
If it were me, I would take them off. It might be different if you would have other chrome on the car.
But even if there was, I never liked the chrome door pillars. But that's just me.
But just having those by themselves makes them really stick out like a sore thumb.
I wouldn't put anything over the top of them.
Like others have said. Heat them up with a hair dryer or heat gun they should peel off
and you shouldn't have a problem getting the residue off with some goo gone or some wd-40.

#7 ·
Another way to take them off is with fishing line. Cut a length of line that you can get a good grip on, get it behind the chrome piece (while gripping on either side), and "saw" the adhesive off with the fishing line. The trip piece will fall away and then you can remove the adhesive from your pillar.

Here's a youtube link. They're actually using heat and fishing line, but you can do it with either one or both. The nice thing about the video is that they show how to clean up left over adhesive when they're done too.
Trim removal video

The only thing I would caution you about is when using heat, don't over use it. Too much heat can damage paint, or plastic. All this can be done without heat, though using it does make it a little easier.

#10 ·
Going to attempt this during the weekend, thanks to you guys feedback im definitely removing the chrome trim, most likely replacing it with the suggested carbon fibre

#11 ·
Cant thank you enough, now thats something unique yet not too outstanding like the chrome trim, gotta get em !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.