Charger Forums banner

Scat Pack Stage Kits for the RT

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  shanet75 
#1 ·
Have anyone added the Scat Pack Stage Kits to their 2011-2015 RT? Budget wise, I can see doing this to a base 2011-2014 RT, but for 2015, should you just opt for the 2015 Scat Pack? From a financial standpoint I would not mind upgrading a RT with extra horsepower without sacrificing and going to the 392. What do you guys think about these Scat Pack Stage Kits, is it worth it?

#2 · (Edited)
You might want to read through the following thread which focuses on the Scat Pack Stage Kits.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259010&highlight=scat+pack+thread

Personally, I don't think Dodge handled the roll-out of these kits particularly well. Much of the initial buzz about these kits focused on the claim that they would fall under the auspices of the Dodge warranty but this has turned out to be not completely unambiguous. It also appears many of the dealerships are not even aware the kits exist and the ones that do seem to be charging inflated installation rates.

If I was looking to purchase a new Charger, I would definitely look at a 2016 Scat Pack or SRT. If I was considering modifying a 2015 R/T, I would do it with conventional aftermarket components, not the Scat Pack Kit(s).

#4 ·
The difference between the 392 Scat Pack and upgrading an RT is huge IMO. For the gains you get with the scat pack 2 that was just released, you are still below what a 392 can do on the street/track. The Comp 270 is being tuned by Arrow Racing and they have not done a good job getting the RT's tuned. Check out the Challenger forum and what the few guys have to say about how their car runs.

The price involved in scat pack 1 and 2 plus the install will put you very close to the price of a 15 scat pack 392 with cloth seats. This does not even count the Brembo brakes and other stuff that you get with the 2015 scat pack.

#5 ·
SP 1 is expensive but backed by a warranty and SP 2&3 isn't street legal I believe. So IMO no it's not. Getting the '15 Scat Pack or an earlier SRT is the best bet.

#6 ·
I agree with drsvelte, Dodge didn't handle the roll out well at all. This could have been a great upgrade package for them, but fell flat. The SP1 is a great kit. You get a mild performance upgrade, a unique badge and the warranty is unaffected. To compile the parts on your own to "duplicate" a SP1 kit (by buying a CAI, exhaust, and tuner), you will spend less on parts, you can install your own so you don't have to worry about install costs, but you run the risk of warranty issues.
The SP1 kit is for a very specific market. Those of us who want custom, and a little extra go, but want full protection. We're willing to pay a little extra for it, but don't plan on going any further than that package. This isn't comparable to the '15 Scat Pack trim level. This is a basic upgrade, that most people do with aftermarket parts. It's primary function is to give you the common upgrades with full warranty coverage.

That said, they promoted it with all 3 stages. The stage 3 would probably be close to the '15 SP trim, but it was never released. The bigger issue with the '14 SP2 (or 3 if it ever comes out) is that sure it carries the factory warranty, but you lose the ability to drive it legally on the street. That's pointless. Dodge dropped the ball on these. SP1 is a great package, and I'd do it again. If you have plans of SP2 or SP3 don't bother.

Also, as far as I know it's only available on the '14 RT. They supposedly were going to make it for other years, but I don't think they ever did (much like the 3 stages).

What you're looking at are 2 different things. The '15 Scat Pack trim is kind of a cross between a SRT and RT. The '14 Scat Pack performance package is a collection of common upgrades supplied by Dodge and covered by warranty. The performance of the two will not be the same or even really comparable.

#7 ·
That said, they promoted it with all 3 stages. The stage 3 would probably be close to the '15 SP trim, but it was never released. The bigger issue with the '14 SP2 (or 3 if it ever comes out) is that sure it carries the factory warranty, but you lose the ability to drive it legally on the street. That's pointless. Dodge dropped the ball on these. SP1 is a great package, and I'd do it again. If you have plans of SP2 or SP3 don't bother.
This is the second time I have seen someone state that SP2 or 3 is not legal on the street. Where does this come from? It is just a Cam upgrade with tune or Heads/Longtubes. If the warranty is still valid for SP2 or 3 how would you get the charger to the dealership for warranty work?

:beerchug:

#8 · (Edited)
plenty of headers are listed for "off road use only", hence not street legal, but I'm certainly going to buy some for christmas.

I'm still boggled why Mopar would sell parts for a street car that would render it illegal to drive.

#9 ·
This is the second time I have seen someone state that SP2 or 3 is not legal on the street. Where does this come from?
It depends upon where you live. In certain areas of my state, we have emissions testing (computer testing and visual inspection). The header/catalytics modifications in Stage 3 would result in a clear fail.

Mopar puts a disclaimer to this effect in their product literature.....

"Upon installation of the Scat Pack 2/Mopar Stage 2 Performance Package on a vehicle originally emission-certified for use on streets or highways, it is illegal as a violation of the federal Clean Air Act to operate such a vehicle on a street or highway; doing so potentially subjects the operator and the installer to civil penalties of up to $37,500 per day, per vehicle, depending on the circumstances."

#10 ·
Cleared that up! LOL Forgot about emission testing. Dodge should offer a good set of Shorties to go along with the Scat Packs for those that have to get tested. I am fortunate that I have never lived in a state that requires emissions testing.

#11 ·
So has anyone gone on to stage 2 yet? I did my stage 1 myself and just got my tuned mopar PCM being installed today. Yes, I could do it myself, but I can't drive it to the dealership as its not flashed to the cars ETC unit. LAME. So I gotta pay them 10min worth of shop time to install. DUMB.
Any how, just checking in to see who has bought the stage 2 kit. I am thinking about doing it as here in Clark County Wa (vancouver wa area) we have no emissions testing on cars newer than 2009. Just the plug and go test.
Let me know guys! Shane cheeeeeeers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.