Charger Forums banner

Reprogram 2007 PCM to 2010 5.7 I installed

26K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  drillteamdrip1017 
#1 ·
I recently installed a 2010 5.7 hemi in my 2007 charger now I need to get the PCM reprogrammed for the new engine it had a 5.7 already just found a newer one for a pretty good price ...wondering if anyone could give me advice on where I can get my PCM reprogrammed for the newer engine and roughly how much it will cost appreciate any advice on where I can send it thanks in advance

#2 ·
I'm going thru the same thing you're going through I'm the owner of a 2006 Dodge Charger RT and I have a 2010 challenger 5.7 in my charger so I have some information that could be useful to you and u might have some info for me. so when you see this message give me a call at 770 35500 96 the name is Myo

#4 ·
Uhhh, you guys/gals do know that the 06/07's where old school straight up cam timing and the 2010 has VVT??? I don't see how they will make a non-VVT 2007 PCM operate properly on the newer 2010 VVT engine.

I'm no expert on this by any means, but I'm just throwing that out there. Maybe you can put the 2010 PCM that was with that engine into the 2007 Charger. Who knows if that will even work? There are slight differences in the wiring on these cars from year to year even though the car itself is the same. Maybe you can "FIX" the VVT to be non-VVT. That probably would not work well either because the ramp profiles of VVT cams are different from non-VVT cams. Engine performance and economy would drop significantly. I'm sure someone has a cam out there that you can swap the VVT out with that will make this engine compatible with the old 2007/06 PCM. Will it need to be a custom cam or can you take a stock pre-2009 cam and put it into a 2010 engine?? Can anyone answer that question?

I'd give someone like Hemi.com a call. I'm sure they have come across this before.

#8 ·
Im honesty probably just gonna sell the 2010 engine and try to find one from an 07 I've came to the conclusion that I'll have to get a 2010 pcm to match the engine then some how have it programmed to the 07 car even then that may not work and even though the harness plugged right in it also is different and would have to be changed... All n all will be easier just to sell the engine now I'm just having a problem finding a buyer... That's for all the advice

#14 ·
there's a guy here named Mopar man I'm taking my car up to him tomorrow he's saying that the 06- 2010 PCMs are the same and he'll be able to flash 2006 PCM to run the 2010 motor so I'll let you know as soon as I get up there tomorrow the other option is changing out the timing cover

#17 ·
I was stopped by my original mechanic before I towed it to the performance guy. he said by doing the research he's done if he switches out the adjustable cam sprocket that's in our new motors with the original cam sprocket it will allow it to fire right up we just won't have the vct.remember I said its a timing issue with the car it will fire up with the starter fluidsprayed into it because its not given the right ignition timing because the sprocket has oil valleys. so when he comes through and swaps out the sprocket and it fires right up I'll let you know only problem will have then is the EGR valve setting off the check engine light but that can be flashed

#18 ·
today we took the timing cover off the old motor to put on the 2010 and everything went smoothly except for the camshaft in the 2010 5.7 the diameter at the end of it with the sprocket goes on it is to millimeters Hawaii so we're going to do is swap out the cams and that it will solve the problem of the timing issue so what you need to do is swap out the cam in the hole timing cover with timing chain and sprockets and there won't be a timing issue no more because our 0607 computer will be time correctly

#21 ·
I told you before the sprocket wouldn't fit on the new cam that's the first thing I tried to do so can you put the old cam in the new engine is that ur next plan? And if you do that will the new cam shaft sensor sync with the old cam and cam sensor? That's y I haven't tried to change the cam that's alot of work if it doesn't work keep me updated on the progress I appreciate the info

#25 ·
Ok I tried to swap cams no go the plates bolt on different. So there's nothing internally that can be done.so only 2 options now get a 2010 com and try and someone who can flash an 06 vin to it than flash the 2010 motor program..or yank back out sell and get pre 09 5.7 which r shit.

#27 ·
I havent done anything else to it i put it on craiglist in my area no one would trade me around here ..this guy in detroit about an hour from me has a shop called me a couple weeks ago said he was interested in it just waiting on the customer to come up w the cash but im still having a problem finding an 07 for less then 2500 and i only put this one for sale for 2200 i wish i could find someone to trade even up...how bout u? Did u try to change the cam

#30 ·
The dropped valve issue is with the heads, not the engine. Replace the heads with newer ones and no more risk of a dropped valve. There is no difference in the block on newer vs. older engines.

#32 ·
Basically gotta get a pcm compatible with motor and pray 06 vin can be programed in to it for key to work. Call plumfloored he has done plenty Eagle 5.7 swaps only thing is he's in arizona so he's trying to find somebody or somewhere that can send me a plug-and-play pcm. he says in order for him to do the flashing and Tuning he would need the vehicle but since he knows the tuning that it needs he's going to see what he can have somebody whip up for me

#34 · (Edited)
Howdy I got the same exact issue but I’m down in Oklahoma with way less access to tuners an such.. but I was reading the discussion and couldn’t help but wonder how it went and what you ended up doing to get the 2010 eagle 5.7 to run in the 06 charger.. did swapping the pcm and a reprogram do the trick? my number is 1-580-850-0403 give me call or text

#35 ·
I doubt you will get a response…those posts were 2014, amd myofrost last post was in 2015

Reactions: Tombstone2
#37 ·
No clue, but to answer your question..the pcm is matched to engine, so it would need be swapped also

#40 ·
I have a 2021 hemi and 8 speed in a 2009 wrangler......... Its mostly about a sensor swap. I mean a hemi
is a hemi. turn off vvt , simple with HP tuners.
The company that I got my swap parts from is jeep speed shop. Its a common conversion started by AEV. They build a harness that connect the basics like throttle, map, O2, temp, oil and all that from the v8 to the v6 ecu plug. The v8 gets the 2021 sensors pulled like oil, temp, crank ect..... and you replace them with 2009 sensors from the grand Cherokee that year that had a V8 so all the gauges work and the 2009ish tune will talk to the 2021 motor correctly when it comes to the basics. The tune I have has VVT turned off, though its still physically there. Im running a separate custom TCU for the 8 speed tied into the canbus/ecu........