Charger Forums banner

Do our chargers make other drivers more aggressive?

20K views 73 replies 44 participants last post by  Rhill1124 
#1 ·
It happens to me alot! Even in guys in minivans, they hammer down on the pedal when i get close! Yesterday i was driving in the middle lane and i came up to a 4 door porche - newer one, he was in the left lane, not so great looking car IMO. He suddenly slammed on his pedal because i guess i was about to pass him, I was not evening shifting lanes or trying to get ahead of him! I laughed at him!

#2 ·
I am seeing two things: 1) they either get out of my thinking I'm driving a Hellcat or maybe a cop car. The SP doesn't look anything like a cop car though, not even the 2015 pursuit, or 2) they immediately slow down (not as common) thinking I am maybe a cop. And no.........I am not running steelies nor do I have a spotlight lolol. I don't see running steelies on this car given the Brembos.

I have had a few guys ask if it was a Hellcat! And I've been asked more than once to rev the engine so they can hear the exhaust.

GTO_04

#4 ·
I think some drivers do get more aggressive when they see a Charger. Few months ago, this guy in a Nissan Leaf tried to get me to race him on an entrance ramp, I was laughing too hard to do anything. He finally just buzzed on up the highway.
I also get a lot of drivers who pace me, especially if I'm at 71-72 on the interstate; they'll pace me and creep up till they can be sure I'm not a LEO, then fly by me. LOL

#5 ·
I love how when you're in the middle lane and there's slower traffic up ahead, you put on the blinker to pass and the car in the left lane speeds up to keep you trapped. They won't pass, they won't slow, they just keep you there until you find an opening. It's like they try to punish you for having a fast car.

#7 ·
I love how when you in the middle lane and there's slower traffic up ahead, you put on the blinker to pass and the car in the left lane speeds up to keep you trapped. They won't pass, they won't slow, they just keep you there until you find an opening. It's like they try to punish you for having a fast car.
I hate when that happens! I try to pass them way before they get a chance to do bs like that.

#6 ·
^^^This happens all the time here in Virginia. I think that's why no one uses their blinkers. A blinker is like an invitation for the person in the lane you are trying to merge into to speed up and not let you get over. The best part is when you get to the next stoplight or something and you are right beside them anyway. Like seriously...where did cutting me off get you? Ridiculous! Funny part is that older people do it just as much as younger people.

#8 ·
I've definitely noticed this. Even moreso now that I have a loud exhaust. It's like my car makes their pee-pee smaller and they have to speed up to prove something.

Reactions: GTO_04
#14 ·
Exactly!!, I get that everyday.

#9 ·
Reactions: 29840
#10 ·
HAHA to funny, I have noticed this also. I had a lowered Toyota Yaris with a fat and loud exhaust pull next to me a light this weekend and want to race me, so I took HER up on it and never saw HER again :)

Lucky for me the traffic in my area isn't to heavy so I rarely get trapped.

And yes everyone seems to mistake my 392 for a hellcat :)

#12 ·
People will ease up when they see me from far away, fearing I may be a cop. but once they get a note from my SLP LM 1's, they realize I'm not and they get defensive. On an uphill the SLP really thunders, and when all I'm doing is giving it a little gas to keep my speed, people assume I'm trying to rev up to speed and they fly ahead of me. It makes me laugh...

#13 ·
I notice people slowing down thinking I might be a cop. I was following a guy who was going exactly the speed limit and we pulled into the same parking lot. He said he thought I was a cop and asked what it was in my grille that looked like cop lights. It was my Procharger intercooler.

#15 ·
I have been "challenged" by Camaros, Mustangs, Mercedes, BMWs, and donks (30 inch wheels do not a fast car make). My favorites are a Impala SS/Monte Carlo SS on huge wheels. All of them had a real good look at my taillights. Except one, it was a 40th anniversary Shelby GT500 (I know because we pulled over and talked for a while after the fact). I can accept that loss...

#16 · (Edited)
that happens to me with nice cars [high trim levels] or posers trying to act if their cars are fast [v6 stangs with visual mods].

but it's usually the opposite. i sit in traffic because people like to jump in front of me & ogle my grille from their rear view.
no matter where i'm going, what time of day ... someone jumps in an otherwise empty lane just to be in front of me.

90% of the time its a mini van or prius.

no one in their right mind would think im a cop. my car is bright orange.

#17 ·
Man yall are funny. I never really thought about it until I read this thread but somtimes it happens to me too. Mostly the trap game. As far as slowing down I don't notice this in my Charger. But my patrol car...geezus ppl will drive 5 MPH UNDER the limit when I'm behind them! I got places to go speed up! I haven't had anyone (that I know of) challenge me to a race. Tempting as it might be I won't go there that's a hard one to explain to the Chief. I'm about to hit the freeway here in a sec I'll report back.

#18 ·
*Update*
Was on the freeway when this Honda screams on from the on ramp. I could tell he wanted me outta the way so he could pass this slow Grandma but he couldn't muster up enough rice to pass me.

#19 ·
I typically find that I will pass someone doing 30mph in a 55mph and the second they realize they are being passed, they will floor it and try to make it so I can't pass them -- even if it might put my safety at risk. This happened when I drove my 1981 Buick Century, my 1984 Buick Electra, my 2005 Cadillac STS and my 2010 Cadillac CTS. The thing I love about the Charger with the 5.7L v8 is that by the time most people realize I am passing them, I'm already in front of them!

#20 ·
I guy in a U-Haul truck tried to race me up a hill on the way home today... a freakin' U-Haul!

I work in the downtown Federal Building here in ABQ, and the Fish& Wildlife service is upstairs, and strangely enough more than half of them drive either a Prius or a Subaru Outback. They are always trying to find ways to keep up or pass me (doesn't work, I just show them the tail lights).

One really enviro friendly guy accused me of killing the planet with my "gas guzzler".

#31 ·
Great fun topic.

I probably get both the trap and the slow "think I'm a cop" stuff with the occasional mix of people wanting to race so I do think that we may see increased aggression because we all apparently drive patrol cars or 1,000 hp monster machines. ;)

The trap pisses me off to no end, the fact that they really go out of their way to do that is just insane. This is the primary reason why I anticipate the traffic ahead and always look for the opening to safely avoid these situations because I'll end up getting irritated and life is too short for that nonsense. :)

All the time I get people who MUST think I'm a cop with my black grille, black paint, and limo tint. It was amusing when I had my '99 P71 retired cruiser but now it is annoying with my Charger. Funny thing these people are, they spend so much energy concentrating and going at or below the limit that they in-turn become conspicuous and that could warrant a traffic stop. I do get amused though when someone flies by me on the tollway going well over 90~100 mph and then notices my car and slams on their breaks and proceeds to go under the limit. That never gets old. :)

On the few occasions where I get a challenge it usually ends in that person getting embarrassed. 0-60 in 6.5s is not fast, but it is not slow either. Seems as though the most group that want to run me are V6 Camaros (slow LOL) and import cars. There are two that stick out; a Scion FR-S and a Genesis 2.0T coupe. Both got absolutely DESTROYED. I did challenge an R/T Challenger for grins and had the result one would assume. Though he did give me the thumbs up and rolled his window down to tell me he was impressed with my V6. :D He thought I was an R/T when he rolled up at the light. I told him I just wanted to see it run and hear the exhaust. My other memorable one was beating a new-ish Porsche Boxster. Wasn't even much of a race either, had him by a length before I shut it down @ 80mph--that dbag was so annoying and all I wanted to do was get over to the turn lane at the next red light. He had no cars in front but all the cars behind so my only choice was to aim to be in front of him. Needless to say I ended up making a u-turn after I shut it down because I just didn't want to continue.

I guy in a U-Haul truck tried to race me up a hill on the way home today... a freakin' U-Haul!
LOL

I work in the downtown Federal Building here in ABQ, and the Fish& Wildlife service is upstairs, and strangely enough more than half of them drive either a Prius or a Subaru Outback. They are always trying to find ways to keep up or pass me (doesn't work, I just show them the tail lights).

One really enviro friendly guy accused me of killing the planet with my "gas guzzler".
Irony. I see hyrbid and other eco-friendly cars being driven like they stole them which for any of those that still use petrol/diesel by driving with such gusto and aggression they are in fact polluting more than our cars.

Everyone assumes I want to race! It's gotten to that point where I don't even care anymore lol.
^ This. Very rarely do I oblige and when I do it is pretty spectacular to watch these morons do the ricer fly-by. Even the V6 Camaro crowd too.

How old was he?
Oh oh oh! I know! I know! A juvenile.

#22 ·
One time when I was driving with my cousin I stopped at a stoplight with a mustang and just somehow knew he was going to race me. I said to my cousin "this guy wants to go" jokingly but right as it turned green I could hear him just floor it. Me being the inconsiderate child I am obliged him, and I was so impressed with the charger because I effortlessly used about half pedal pressure to pass him, I stopped accelerating at a 5 above the speed limit though and he did a full on ricer flyby. good times

#24 ·
YES. People get in their feelings when you pull up next to them. I'm like chill, it's not a Lamborghini. I've had a guy in a "had to be 11 year old jetta" that was held together by duct tape burn rubber when he pulled off at the light we were stopped at. really dude? it was funny to me. however, other chargers or mustangs don't try me. i don't know why.
and on the freeway..people see me coming and get out of the way or pull over in front of me and slow down. that's when I pull up on the side of them and do things I won't mention here.

#27 · (Edited)
I guess the combination of how the car looks and how it sounds - other cars usually drop back rather than get aggressive. The exhaust rumble makes the car sound like it has twice the horsepower it actually has - but they don't know that. Occasionally a built-up Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc ... will get racy but there are not a lot of them. Same with the BMWs, Mercedes (if they're AMGs) or a 911 Porsche. If they're in front of me they get racy but if they're behind me they tend to stay there. I don't pay any attention to the Ricers because they always drive around like angry bees with their fart-can mufflers blowing. They tend to weave in/out traffic so much I just watch to see if they're going to wipe out before the next traffic light.
The interstate seems to be different. If I go blowing past someone, they pick-up speed and try to hang with me - or even pass. The interesting part about these cars is they tend to be just your average car - not muscle or sports cars. The muscle and sports cars will tend to follow and pace each other. After a awhile we get a decent caravan going. Kind of like an impromptu car club. No aggression - just cruising (usually a wave or thumbs-up if we're side-by-side).

Reactions: GTO_04
#34 · (Edited)
Actually just last week on of these little 2 door spitter cars with those can mufflers blew by me in the middle lane, i was in the left and it was raining, he got about 50 feet ahead of me and cut back into the left lane spun out hit the guard rail then skidded accross the highway and hit the other guard rail! His car went to pieces! The A--hole blew by me going at least 80mph!

#28 ·
I'm surprised any of you have gotten a new Camaro to run you. I've been trying for years to get one to run either my pickup or my Lincoln but they all act like they're afraid of their cars.

So far as the ricers go, I usually get "beat" by them. They floor the gas pedal, which reminds me that the yard needs cutting, and by the time I put full attention back to the road they're gone.

#29 ·
Beyond driving to prove that they can beat my car, I get "Haters" that want to judge my car. For example while at the gas station I had a guy start a conversation while we were pumping gas into our cars. He was driving a 2014 body style mustang v6, so take a guess what he said after he asked me what my car had under the hood (2014 R/T 5.7). He said "Oh that's cool, but it's not a Hellcat, now those are fast",so I told him that he was right, the Hellcat is way faster than my car, and my car is a whole lot faster than your car. When he pulled out of the gas station this guy tried his best to take off fast down the road, boy was that funny & slow to watch.

#33 ·
I have never had anyone mess with me at all! Except for the few friends I've seen on the way home from work.

However I'm pretty sure I have the only granite crystal charger around here, except for the state patrol. So people tend to slow down on the highway until I fly by them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.